VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only emulator I know of that has a Tandy 2000 as a supported computer is MAME. Are there any others?

Reply 3 of 7, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dosbox X can emulate the 80186 and a bunch of different kinds of graphics and sound chips.. I don't know about the special version of DOS it ran though. You could probably get it to load it from a floppy as a booter.

Reply 4 of 7, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote on 2021-01-04, 18:57:

This is misleading, it runs most stuff including Windows 1.0.

Dosbox X can emulate the 80186 and a bunch of different kinds of graphics and sound chips.. I don't know about the special version of DOS it ran though. You could probably get it to load it from a floppy as a booter.

It doesn't. It emulates an 8086 with the 80186 extra instructions, not the 80186 builtin peripherals, which is effectively an nec v20.

Reply 5 of 7, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazyc wrote on 2021-01-04, 19:30:
This is misleading, it runs most stuff including Windows 1.0. […]
Show full quote
Zup wrote on 2021-01-04, 18:57:

This is misleading, it runs most stuff including Windows 1.0.

It doesn't. It emulates an 8086 with the 80186 extra instructions, not the 80186 builtin peripherals, which is effectively an nec v20.

What is/are the 80186 builtin peripherals?

Just curious, I don't know what that refers to.

Reply 6 of 7, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 80186 has a builtin interrupt controller, dma controller and timer none of which are pc compatible which is why it wasn't used in any* pc clone computers. The tandy 2k requires them for proper emulation.
* There's at least one, the Triumph-Adler Alphatronic P50, which has the usual pc devices and disconnects the builtin pic and ignores the timer and dmac.

Reply 7 of 7, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazyc wrote on 2021-01-04, 17:01:

Is there something you are trying to do that doesn't work in mame?

Not specifically, I was just wondering if any other emulator supported this computer. I used to own one years ago and was interested in trying it out again without having to purchase one.