VOGONS

First post, by noisymemories

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While Alcohol 52% version 1.9.5 tells me that it's ripping[1] the 2001 original, Securom protected, version of Colin McRae Rally 2.0 at the whizzing speed of...15KB/sec, or 0.1X , I was wondering if there's anything similar to Kryoflux or Catweasel for optical drives?

I mean, besides not enjoying spending hours trying to capture images of nasty copy protections like Securom and Starforce, I'm noticing several older cdroms are getting harder to read, due either from wear and tear or disc-rot (games bundled with gaming magazines are the worst, they were probably printed using the cheapest discs available).

Is there anything that could ease the task of capturing low level images of problematic CDs and DVDs?

[1] Yeah, I know, it's ancient - but it's also the latest release available still using a version of the MDF/MDS file format still compatible with Daemon Tools for win9x (3.47) - Useful when you want to avoid stressing the old IDE cdrom drive of your retro pc. And by the way, I have no idea if latest versions of DT Pro/Ultra are still capable of ripping extra data frames like subchannels.

Last edited by noisymemories on 2021-01-06, 12:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by pantercat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For 1: 1 CD backups, a device with a firmware that does not correct checksum read errors would be a good starting point. If the device behaves like this, it would be the closest thing to KryoFlux for CDs that I can think of.

Reply 2 of 4, by noisymemories

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No idea if such unit ever existed, but it would be probably like one of those old LG drives capable of ripping GC/Wii games using a weird mix of specific units, custom proprietary tools and hacked firmwares. Gave a quick look on the redump.org forum as they've started archiving more recent pc games, and it's mostly the same situation.

To be frank, given the abundance of custom retro hardware like the OSSC, Everdrives, GCLoader, etc, I'm surprised nobody ever built a "dumb" cd/dvd drive dumper - Like, a raw "read first ask questions later" kind of device.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noisymemories wrote on 2021-01-06, 12:07:

To be frank, given the abundance of custom retro hardware like the OSSC, Everdrives, GCLoader, etc, I'm surprised nobody ever built a "dumb" cd/dvd drive dumper - Like, a raw "read first ask questions later" kind of device.

Well, there are (were) socalled CD Duplicators.
These were little computer units in the size of a CD-ROM drive.
They could read from a source drive and then write to several destination drives (CD-Writers).

I think the problem with optical devices is, that they are too smart.
Just think of the ability of DVD drives to remember the annoying regional code thing.

By comparison, a floppy drive is pretty dumb, almost as analogue as a tape recorder.
That's why Kyroflux can record things like the strength of the field of the magnetic surface of a floppy.

A game cardridge (Master System, Genesis) is also very basic, it barely contains more than a ROM chip and some battery-backed RAM.

- With the exception of Nintend. systems. They usually had mappers or co-processors included. 😉

Those ancient MFM/RLL HDDs using a Shugart interface were also pretty dumb, I think.
Problem with emulation is, that the bandwith and timings are much higher than that of a floppy.
Emulating either the HDD itself or the interface controller needs FPGAs.
Normal microcontrollers are too weak to emulate these in real-time.
And a Raspberry Pi-like SBC might be having too much of a latency, not sure..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by noisymemories

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IIRC the issue with the raspberry is not the latency but the bandwidth of the GPIO headers, they're way too slow to sustain the required transfer speed of a CD/DVD unit controller.

By the way, even if we're not talking here about a full controller replacement - just the required commands for identifying and reading the disc - this would require swapping the mcu with a custom FPGA or entirely replacing the mainboard, not something for the faint of heart (Or, fat chance, someone finds out that a widely available DVD/Blue ray reader ships with an easily reprogrammable firmware ).