VOGONS

QEMU 3Dfx Glide Pass-Through

Topic actions

First post, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So.
I start a new topic about QEMU 3DFX. It's created SPECIFICALLY about compiling, modyfying, patching etc. QEMU on Windws/Linux/other OSes.
Without any comparison to VMWare, PCEM, 86Box, etc. etc. And without opinions, VMWare/PCEM/86Box/whatever is better because:

Links:

https://github.com/kjliew/qemu-3dfx.git
https://github.com/kjliew/qemu-xtra.git

I have problems with compiling QEMU 5.2.0. I do anything which is described in kjliew's isntruction, but still I got errors. I attach a log and hope, someone can help me. System: Ubuntu 20.04.

Attachments

• Filename
    QEMU.txt
    File size
    139.46 KiB
    Downloads
    8 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 57, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks mr. cat! I'll check this! Great to see you here!

Ok. QEMU compilation ended succesfully. But now I'm trying to compile guest wrappers and:

nemezis@nemezis:~$ cd ~/myqemu/qemu-3dfx/wrappers/3dfx
nemezis@nemezis:~/myqemu/qemu-3dfx/wrappers/3dfx$ mkdir build && cd build
nemezis@nemezis:~/myqemu/qemu-3dfx/wrappers/3dfx/build$ cp ../src/Makefile.in ./Makefile
nemezis@nemezis:~/myqemu/qemu-3dfx/wrappers/3dfx/build$ make && make clean
CC fxhook.o fxlib9x.o fxlibnt.o
../../fxlib/fxhook.c:2:10: fatal error: windows.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
2 | #include <windows.h>
| ^~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Makefile:63: fxlib] Fehler 1

I know, something is missing. But what?

Reply 4 of 57, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@OSH: That sounds like you're missing some mingw-w64 bits (assuming you're doing this on Linux).
It seems windows.h is in package mingw-w64-i686-dev, but you may need something else too.
The original recipe that I used back in December (whew, time flies!) still applies.

One thing to note is that the makefiles make some MSYS2-centric assumptions that don't necessarily hold true in other systems such as Linux.
For example, in my system (LM20) if CC is defined as gcc that will simply point to the native gcc (and not the mingw-w64 version).
If you see error messages about windres or dlltool, you need to find where they reside on your system and edit the paths in the Makefile.
(Or if they're missing altogether, install them).

@robertmo: You're using this on Win10, right? It compiles there without any editing?

Last edited by mr.cat on 2021-04-16, 13:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 57, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.cat wrote on 2021-04-14, 18:35:

@robertmo: You're using this on Win10, right? It compiles there without any editing?

8.1 but not remember (i think some minor path correction somewhere) (i see folders were arranged a bit differently in the source when i did it)
there was also no fxhook.c in the source back then 😉

Reply 7 of 57, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, compiling Glide was successful. But now I'm trying compile MESA GL and:

CC fxlib9x.o fxlibnt.o
#@if [ "$MSYSTEM" != "MINGW32" ]; then echo "Error: MSYSTEM == $MSYSTEM"; exit 1; fi
CC szdata.o
#@if [ "$MSYSTEM" != "MINGW32" ]; then echo "Error: MSYSTEM == $MSYSTEM"; exit 1; fi
CC wrapgl32.o
REV stamp
CFLAGS -I../../../qemu-1/hw/mesa -I../../fxlib -Wall -Werror -msse2 -O3 -flto -fomit-frame-pointer
LDFLAGS -static-libgcc -Wl,--disable-auto-image-base -Wl,--dynamicbase -Wl,--nxcompat
LD opengl32.dll
/usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-ld: /tmp/opengl32.dll.eHGlFc.ltrans0.ltrans.o:<artificial>:(.text+0x5e40): undefined reference to `HookEntryHook'
/usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-ld: /tmp/opengl32.dll.eHGlFc.ltrans0.ltrans.o:<artificial>:(.text+0x5e5c): undefined reference to `HookEntryHook'
/usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-ld: /tmp/opengl32.dll.eHGlFc.ltrans0.ltrans.o:<artificial>:(.text+0x5e82): undefined reference to `HookEntryHook'
/usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-ld: /tmp/opengl32.dll.eHGlFc.ltrans0.ltrans.o:<artificial>:(.text+0xa726): undefined reference to `HookEntryHook'
/usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-ld: /tmp/opengl32.dll.eHGlFc.ltrans0.ltrans.o:<artificial>:(.text+0xb52a): undefined reference to `HookParseRange'
/usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-ld: /tmp/opengl32.dll.eHGlFc.ltrans0.ltrans.o:<artificial>:(.text+0xb59b): undefined reference to `HookTimeGetTime'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Makefile:24: opengl32.dll] Fehler 1

What is wrong this time? I modified Makefile.in like earlier. Then did the trick - now didn't...
System: Ubuntu 20.04

Reply 8 of 57, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK so the error message is clear enough: The linker can't find where these Hook* thingies reside. That usually means that some dev library is missing, or paths need to be added/fixed.
But in this case I couldn't find such things referenced in the source files. If you do some grepping (e.g. in the mesa directory) that might reveal their origin.
What does opengl32.def look like? That one's generated by pexport and subsequently linked with the rest of the files.

Actually, kjliew made some updates a couple of minutes ago, maybe that fixes it 😁

Last edited by mr.cat on 2021-04-15, 09:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 57, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, that's good, I'll check it evening!

Yeah, MESA compiled! Now it's time for installing Win98SE and games!!!

@mr. cat, I would to thank you for your help! This thread remains opened, because I want a discussion about development this brilliant thing!

Last edited by OSH on 2021-04-16, 13:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 57, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I discovered it earlier. 😀 Thanks anyway!

After start of QEMU I see:

nemezis@nemezis:~/myqemu/qemu-3dfx/build$ ./qemu-system-i386 -L pc-bios -rtc base=localtime -no-hpet -no-reboot -drive file=../vmimgs/w98.qcw -device VGA -M pc, -device ac97
audio: Failed to create voice `ac97.pi'
audio: Failed to create voice `ac97.mc'
audio: Failed to create voice `ac97.pi'
audio: Failed to create voice `ac97.mc'

So I need a SigmaTel C-Major Audio AC97 WDM driver. for Win98 I searched all Internet, but I can't download any! If someone has the right version, please give me an information!

Reply 13 of 57, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=38,0

Reply 14 of 57, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SigmaTel C-Major Audio AC97 WDM driver 5.10.3696 for Win98/2000/ME/XP.

- INF patched for QEMU AC97
- SBPro emulation from Win98/ME DOS prompt.
- Daemon Tool 3.47 CD audio playback from CUE/BIN.

Attachments

• Filename
    stac97.zip
    File size
    119.59 KiB
    Downloads
    6 downloads
    File comment
    Sigmatel C-Major AC97 WDM
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 57, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi kjliew, big thanks! But now I have another problem:

nemezis@nemezis:~/myqemu/qemu-3dfx/build$ ./qemu-system-i386 -L pc-bios \
> -rtc base=localtime -no-hpet -no-reboot \
> -drive file=../vmimgs/w98.qcw \
> -device VGA \
> -M pc -device ac97 \
> -netdev user,id=net0 -device rtl8139,netdev=net0
qemu-system-i386: Parameter 'type' expects a netdev backend type

if I delete the line: -netdev user,id=net0 -device rtl8139,netdev=net0
QEMU starts, but I think, this line is important?

Reply 16 of 57, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check your QEMU configure status page and look for "slirp" networking.
The slirp user networking is very useful for sharing files with the host, or join a network game 😉. This is the simplest and no-fuss networking setup for QEMU.

If you don't have "slirp" networking, then you need to install the dev package for libslirp.
Perhaps, you should do a "sudo apt-get build-dep qemu" before running configure. I am a bit rusty on ubuntu apt-get though ever since I moved to ArchLinux.

Last edited by kjliew on 2021-04-17, 23:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 57, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OSH wrote on 2021-04-17, 23:13:

... I don't need a network under 98SE, so I can live without it ...

You would think twice ... 😜

Even if you aren't gonna join network games, the accessibility of network between host and guest is very useful for other purposes, such as file transfer. You can also store all your ripped games CUE/BIN/ISO in the cloud and Daemon Tools just mounts the CD images from within VM on network shared drive. Life would be so much easier while laughing off "the other PC emulator" cumbersome ways of getting files in and out of emulated machine ... 🤣

In this day and age, it is just lame for any emulated/virtual machines without link between host and guest.