VOGONS

QEMU MESA GL/Glide pass-through on Apple M1 macOS

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 24, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2021-06-02, 18:37:

I still wonder why exactly XQuartz is necessary, though. What dependencies on X11 remain? Isn't there a way to leverage the legacy OpenGL 4.2 implementation in native macOS instead of being stuck with OpenGL 2.x through XQuartz?

Because I am just a lame, lazy coder with poor documentation and communication skills ... 🤣 Apple macOS isn't my choice of focused development environment. OpenGL 4.2 would require NSWindow/CocoaGL, but without CPU virtualization, it won't make any difference. I just made macOS use the same X11/GLX GL context negotiation for Linux. I probably don't have the same debugging capabilities on macOS (it's a hardened OS) compared to what I can do on Windows/Linux. NSWindow/CocoaGL is also required for OpenGLide for 1st party passthrough. WGL semantics have to be emulated, which is currently implemented for GLX. Not a trivial task for me. Otherwise, it is what it is, sharing the same code path and WGL semantics emulation with Linux/X11. Not something an Apple macOS purist likes to hear, but what to do about it?

I certainly welcome any code contribution, but with all the complexity, compile-it-yourself rants clouding the project, I highly doubt anyone would do it .... 🤣
Perhaps it is feasible to wait for DOSBox-X and PCem to catch up the steam with QEMU .... 🤣

Reply 22 of 24, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That thread is for Benchmarking DOSBox. One of the forum moderator God is extremely pissed off with QEMU and virtualization. Otherwise I would post D1 and D2 with an 11 years old AMD C-60 with QEMU KVM and the God would decent and delete the post to keep everyone happy.

It is OK, everyone is supposed to be happy about their Core i9 and Ryzen 5950x reaching the performance of Pentium II 300MHz with the fantastic Voodoo3 emulation. The M1 would potentially reach Pentium II 350MHz, no Voodoo but S3 ViRGE is available ... 🤣 Any pass-through/virtualization evangelism would be massively missing the point and often introduce variables of stability and bloat that won't hold in the long term (tm) ... 🤣.

Reply 24 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thread closed. Your posts say it all as to why.
With all that money you need to setup your own forum for your opinions, delusions and falsehoods, this is not the place.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline