VOGONS

First post, by hiranthadhanuka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm setting up an old PC to run DOS applications. Found a motherboard fully working (QDI-P5I430TX Titanium IB+ Jumperless), plugged in a ATX power supply with 20pin (It has -5v supply as well). Got a AT to PS2 connector as I dont have an AT Keyboard with me. Connected the PS2 keyboard via the connector but seems the keyboard is not getting picked up by the motherboard. No keyboard lights are blinking so I assume there's no power coming to the keyboard. What could be the problem? Appreciate your help 😀

Attachments

• a5.jpg
    Filename
    a5.jpg
    File size
    354.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • a4.jpg
    Filename
    a4.jpg
    File size
    273.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • a3.jpg
    Filename
    a3.jpg
    File size
    295.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • a2.jpg
    Filename
    a2.jpg
    File size
    302.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • a1.jpg
    Filename
    a1.jpg
    File size
    224.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by hiranthadhanuka on 2021-09-12, 16:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hiranthadhanuka wrote on 2021-09-12, 07:41:

I'm setting up an old PC to run DOS applications. Found a motherboard fully working (QDI-P5I430TX Titanium IB+ Jumperless), plugged in a ATX power supply with 20pin (It has -5v supply as well). Got a AT to PS2 connector as I dont have an AT Keyboard with me. Connected the PS2 keyboard via the connector but seems the keyboard is not getting picked up by the motherboard. No keyboard lights are blinking so I assume there's no power coming to the keyboard. What could be the problem? Appreciate your help 😀

Use a multimeter to check if there is Voltage.

Found this after 10 seconds of browsing for the pinout.
https://helloacm.com/using-at-keyboard-on-mod … -usb-connector/

This is better
https://i.stack.imgur.com/Kn7gK.png

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2 of 18, by hiranthadhanuka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-09-12, 10:11:
Use a multimeter to check if there is Voltage. […]
Show full quote

This is better

@Nexxen, thank you for the reply. Yes I checked the voltage for +5V and getting it through the adapter. I even tried getting another keyword to see thinking the first keyboard I checked could be a faulty one. same results. And also I checked all cross connections in the AT to PS2 adapter and seems all good with the connector.

Reply 3 of 18, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hiranthadhanuka wrote on 2021-09-12, 11:03:
Show full quote

This is better

@Nexxen, thank you for the reply. Yes I checked the voltage for +5V and getting it through the adapter. I even tried getting another keyword to see thinking the first keyboard I checked could be a faulty one. same results. And also I checked all cross connections in the AT to PS2 adapter and seems all good with the connector.

Ok, your ps/2 keyboard can't be hooked to an AT board. Passive adapters don't always do the trick (explanation is longer).
Unfortunately you have to use an AT keyboard, unless you have a PS/2 header on the motherboard.
EDit: checked and it does, even usb. If you have usb dongle check pins and put it on as you can use both usb mouse and keyboard.

Could you post a pic in your first message, high res (best you can) so we can understand what we are dealing with?
Plus it makes our eyes happy.

Reply 4 of 18, by hiranthadhanuka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-09-12, 11:22:
Ok, your ps/2 keyboard can't be hooked to an AT board. Passive adapters don't always do the trick (explanation is longer). Unfor […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

This is better

Ok, your ps/2 keyboard can't be hooked to an AT board. Passive adapters don't always do the trick (explanation is longer).
Unfortunately you have to use an AT keyboard, unless you have a PS/2 header on the motherboard.
EDit: checked and it does, even usb. If you have usb dongle check pins and put it on as you can use both usb mouse and keyboard.

Could you post a pic in your first message, high res (best you can) so we can understand what we are dealing with?
Plus it makes our eyes happy.

Attached few pics 😀 It has a PS2 header (You can see it right above the AT keyboard connector) but the motherboard manual says its for a PS2 mouse (and mentioned keyboard/mouse are optional elsewhere). I can find a PS2 header and plug it over there and see. Do you think the PS2 header dedicated to the mouse will work on a PS2 keyboard?. This motherboard has two USB ports.. but my problem is getting in to the BIOS setup.

Appreciate your further thoughts on this. Any other solution? finding an AT keyboard in my country is very difficult, so I might have to get it done via eBay but going to take a month for the delivery and the shipping cost is extremely high. And there's a chance of getting it lost in the mid of the delivery. Sigh!!!

Reply 5 of 18, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AT and PS/2 keyboards are the same electrically and logically. Only the connector is different. You do not need an AT keyboard. Since it sounds like you verified that the adapter is properly wired, I would think either the keyboard is bad or there is a problem on the motherboard. Since the keyboard doesnt light up, but you measured 5 volts, I would assume bad keyboard

Reply 6 of 18, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I have 2 IBM branded PS/2 keyboards:
- one is working fine with everything from 286 to i7 5775c.
- second one doesn't 😀 It only works with newer native PS/2 motherboards.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 7 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah there's definitely a speed thing with AT and PS/2 keyboards, some will only work on low ~7ish Mhz clocks and some work on the fast ~11-12ish, some boards don't have a lower default. Also typematic rate setting makes some keyboards lock up. I've found with USB to PS/2 full adapters (non-passive) that they mostly only work with "fast" keyboards, circa 1993 up usually.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 18, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One solution is to buy a dupont cable that has male pins on one side and female pins on the other.
Plug female to ps/2 header and male to keyboard.

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01N40EK6M?tag=duc01 … =osi&th=1&psc=1
like the one in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fruamXlB1BI
example, to explain

If you have a spare usb plug you could solder it to wires that go to the usb header. In my experience the usb keyboard is going to work to enter into BIOS.

Not nice but McGyver would approve 😀

Reply 11 of 18, by hiranthadhanuka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

maxtherabbit, Thank you!, I thought as well, then I bought another 2 keyboards (2$ for the both) but still no luck.
None of them turns on. Yeah this is socket7 but the seller who shipped this took pics with a AT keyb plugged
in and he was actually inside the BIOS. So seems the AT Keyb port works?

zyga64, Thank you!, So far I have tried 3 keyboard 🙁 but none worked.

BitWranger, Thank you! seems this is like a nightmare! trying and trying! 😀.

Nexxen, Thanks again!, I'm going to try the USB thing now and the PS2 header. Hopefully it will work 😀) - yeah miss our good old McGyver!. He could have get it to work with use of a chewing gum paper!.

Reply 12 of 18, by hiranthadhanuka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried the PS2 header to PS2 keyboard, USB header to PS2 method but its very strange none worked. This is a jumper-less motherboard, so I assume you need to enable legacy USB to make it work? + maybe the PS2 port is not enabled in BIOS?

Really frustrated as none worked. Last option is to order an AT keyboard from eBay and its going to take atleast 20 days to arrive and are expensive (shipping). Seems I have to pay the price !

I found another diagram for a AT to PS2. But the entire thing is weird. Do you think this will work? This is from a diagram shared in eBay in relation to the converter he is selling. I grabbed it from there.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    52.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 13 of 18, by hiranthadhanuka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, finally managed to make it to work. Made a fresh connector from DIN5 and M-DIN6 and it worked. Phew!!! Thank you so much for your help on this. Attached a pic. It doesnt look that good cos made a draft version to see whether it works... now I can finish it off..

Attachments

• conn.jpg
    Filename
    conn.jpg
    File size
    262.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 14 of 18, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hiranthadhanuka wrote on 2021-09-13, 10:35:

Guys, finally managed to make it to work. Made a fresh connector from DIN5 and M-DIN6 and it worked. Phew!!! Thank you so much for your help on this. Attached a pic. It doesnt look that good cos made a draft version to see whether it works... now I can finish it off..

Post some pics of the bios.

And the finished product when done.
Have fun!!

Reply 15 of 18, by SpocksBeer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had poor success with that type of PS2 converter, 1 out of 3 worked. I think they're just super cheap and the pins don't make great contact. Much better success with the beige moulded adaptors that don't have a flexible cable segment.

Reply 16 of 18, by hiranthadhanuka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2021-09-13, 11:15:
Post some pics of the bios. […]
Show full quote
hiranthadhanuka wrote on 2021-09-13, 10:35:

Post some pics of the bios.

And the finished product when done.
Have fun!!

Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone 😀

Here are some pics of the finished product. Started installing DOS 6.22 too 😀

Spec.
Intel Pentium 200 MMX
128 MB SDRAM
BENQ CD Writer
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16
S3 Virge VGA Card
IDE to Compact Flash - 4GB Primary Storage
IDE to Compact Flasg - Secondary Drive (No Compact Flash yet)
Gotek USB 1.44 Floppy Disk Emu

Thank you and stay safe!

Attachments

• a6.jpg
    Filename
    a6.jpg
    File size
    281.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • a5.jpg
    Filename
    a5.jpg
    File size
    333.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • a4.jpg
    Filename
    a4.jpg
    File size
    263.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • a2.jpg
    Filename
    a2.jpg
    File size
    299.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • a1.jpg
    Filename
    a1.jpg
    File size
    303.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 17 of 18, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I checked the voltage for +5V and getting it through the adapter. I even tried getting another keyword to see thinking the first keyboard I checked could be a faulty one. same results. And also I checked all cross connections in the AT to PS2 adapter and seems all good with the connector.

hmmmmm

Reply 18 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably connections that shouldn't be there, if checked for connections that should be there. If it's checked for shorts, something may result. If a short is found, one can see if it's a stray strand and fuse it out by connecting a beefy 12V supply across the short to try to fuse it out. If everything just gets too hot after a few secs, then give up.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.