VOGONS

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found a (cheap) VGA to HDMI converter that was going to the dumpster and acquired it. It is labelled as MT-VIKI, and the board suggest that the model is MT-VH02.

A quick search shows that it has been sold in a variety of brands, but nothing more. The PSU is damaged (may work, but it's too risky to connect to mains) and the converter seems to have been opened.

Has anybody tested this thing? I'm not going to use for office work or watching movies. Does it have too much lag? Does it support "not common" resolutions?

Should I keep it, test it (and try to repair) or throw it to the dumpster?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 2, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it's at the higher end of the cheap ones (compared to say, the $10 ones you can get): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32854784789.html

No experience with it personally, but someone in this thread may have used one: What are the best Vga to hdmi scalers or peripherals for MS-DOS games ?

Reply 2 of 2, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like it takes a common DC 5V 1A barrel connector for power. I think it's worth trying it out. Maybe look inside for signs of work and try it out if it looks intact? Could be useful for capturing BIOS screens or comparing VGA output if it works well.

I have a cheapo VGA to HDMI adapter from Amazon, it works fine when the system is booted but it won't capture the BIOS, so limited usefulness for me.