Powerleap adapter

Topic actions

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Introduction
I've got lots of retro hardware to test. I will do a Vogons thread for each item. Any comments would be very welcome. Here goes.

A Powerleap adapter can be used with Intel slot 1 motherboards. It can accept a socket 370 Intel CPU. The fastest CPU you can use with it is a 1.4 Ghz Celeron. That's quite fast! This adapter is one of my favourite items of retro hardware. Used in conjunction with an Intel i440BX chipset based motherboard, you can build an excellent retro machine. Here's the hardware I'm going to be testing it with.

Testing hardware

testing%20hardware%20spreadsheet.jpg

ID%20%3D%201%20powerleap.JPG

testing%20hardware.JPG

I've removed the noisy fan attached to the Powerleap adapter's copper heatsink. Although it's not in the photo, I am using an 80mm case fan to cool this heatsink. Also, I'm using a large 120mm case fan to cool the Geforce3 card, because I've disconnected its noisy fan.

My Mediafire uploads
Click here for the Asus P2B mobo BIOS, supporting the Powerleap adapter.
Click here for the Asus P2B mobo BIOS without hardware monitor, supporting the Powerleap adapter.
Click here for the Gigabyte GA-6BXC mobo BIOS, supporting the Powerleap adapter.

Powerleap information
Click here for the Official website, including mobo BIOS updates, and guides.
Click here for the Powerleap manual.
Click here for overclocking the adapter.

Test results, Sandra CPU arithmetic
sandra%20cpu%20arithmetic%20testing.jpg

Test results, Sandra CPU multi-media
sandra%20cpu%20multimedia%20testing.jpg

For the Coppermine CPU over clocking, no voltage increases were made, either on the Powerleap adapter, or on the mobo. Also, I tried to over clock the FSB to 133, but this failed using the Coppermine CPU. For this large over clock, I increased the Powerleap's voltage jumper by one notch. This is as far as its voltage jumper setting can be increased to, for a 1000 MHz Coppermine CPU. I also set the mobo's VIO jumper to its "more juice" setting. However, when the Windows 98 desktop appeared, it was very unstable, and so this 133 FSB over clock test resulted in failure. For the Celeron CPU over clocking, when I raised the FSB from 120 to 124, this resulted in failure. I then increased the Powerleap's voltage jumper by one notch, and then by one more notch when that test failed. I also set the mobo's VIO jumper to its "more juice" setting. However, the Windows 98 desktop never appeared, and so this 124 FSB over clock test resulted in failure.

I appreciate that only doing the Sandra CPU benchmarking is poor. If there are other benchmarks you want me to run, please say so.

Question(s)
1) When I removed the Coppermine 1000 MHz CPU from the Powerleap adapter, I noticed that one edge of the exposed CPU die looked a bit "crumbled". What is the cause of this? Thanks for any comments.

To do
Get a new camera. 😉
Get a Celeron 1200 MHz socket 370 CPU.

Edit: I have decided not to upload any files to the driverguide.com website, because of its poor quality. Instead, I have created a Mediafire file hosting account, and uploaded the 3 mobo BIOS files mentioned above to it. You can see these direct download links, in the post above.

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2010-09-20, 12:43. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 77, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow so much effort!

Thanks for sharing...

A crumbled cpu die surely isn't a good thing! I guess that's why most cpus come with these heat spreaders. The crumbeling likely comes from mounting the cooler.

Great scaling with clock speed!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 77, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crumbling is indeed usually caused by mounting and unmounting a cooler. It doesn't have to mean the cpu is broken, theres an edge of unused die material surrounding the die itself (atleast there is with Athlon XP).

I'm not sure if using an extra adapter would make overclocking more susceptible to instability

Reply 3 of 77, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Wow so much effort!

Hehe, yeah it was quite time consuming. Please note - I've cleaned up the links section.

Tetrium wrote:

Crumbling is indeed usually caused by mounting and unmounting a cooler. It doesn't have to mean the cpu is broken, theres an edge of unused die material surrounding the die itself (atleast there is with Athlon XP).

Do you know if a "crumbling" CPU die edge can be caused by other factors, such as "over volting" a CPU?

Reply 6 of 77, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice overclock on the Coppermine! I am ATM also experimenting with overclocking Coppermine chips to see how far they go past 1ghz.

So far I managed to get a 1000Mhz cD0 to 150Mhz fsb for a clock speed of 1125Mhz, using 2.05v. Previous to this my max stable oc was 1050Mhz at 150fsb using a 933Mhz cD0, at 1.85v. Since my motherboard (AX33) does not have any voltage options, I used Anders Petersen's excellent Coppermine wire-mod guide on overclockers.com.

This is the max my mobo can do from bios options. Maybe I'll try cpufsb or some other windows clock generator to push higher. I've seen many Coppermines pushed to 1.125ghz, but 1.24ghz puts you in the epic category.

Reply 8 of 77, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgt76 wrote:

Very nice overclock on the Coppermine! ... ... 1.24ghz puts you in the epic category.

Thanks a lot! 😀 OC'ing is a lot of fun - good luck with your experiments.

TheLazy1 wrote:

Why only a Celeron?

I think that a 1.4 GHz Celeron 100 FSB CPU is the fastest you can use in a Powerleap adapter, for use in an i440BX chipset based mobo.

Reply 10 of 77, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

you can build an excellent retro machine.

Stupid question, perhaps, but what exactly makes this so excellent? Does the i440BX chipset do something that isn't possible on a socket 370 motherboard? Wouldn't you want a retro machine to go slower?

Reply 11 of 77, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

you can build an excellent retro machine.

Stupid question, perhaps, but what exactly makes this so excellent? Does the i440BX chipset do something that isn't possible on a socket 370 motherboard? Wouldn't you want a retro machine to go slower?

BX = Intel chipset with ISA slots

The next Intel chipset with a s370 I think was the i815EP which had no ISA slots. You can get a non-Intel S370 (like VIA), but I'd take a i440BX with a Powerleap over a native S370 VIA motherboard any day.

Reply 12 of 77, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
valnar wrote:

So... It's good because it's fast, has ISA slots, and doesn't use a VIA chipset? But like I said, wouldn't most things that could take special advantage of an ISA card be designed for a lower CPU speed?

The next Intel chipset with a s370 I think was the i815EP which had no ISA slots. You can get a non-Intel S370 (like VIA), but I'd take a i440BX with a Powerleap over a native S370 VIA motherboard any day.

A quick Google suggests there are s370 boards with the 440ZX chipset.

Reply 13 of 77, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's worth noting that it takes a Coppermine Pentium 3 to smooth out the frame rates in some very demanding DOS games. It's also worth noting that there aren't hundreds of speed sensitive DOS games. 😉 Typically, an i440BX chipset based mobo can accept a "slow" Celeron 266MHz or Pentium 2 233MHZ, up to a faster Coppermine Pentium 3 800MHz or 1 GHz (as examples), and beyond that using a fast Powerleap adapter. You've got a useful range of speeds there, to play both DOS and Win9x games. There's an extremely long thread on Vogons here, discussing the topic of underclocked Pentium 2 CPUs, for use in these types of mobos. So it's possible to extend this speed range even further, by having an even slower P2 CPU to use for old DOS games.

A i440BX mobo is a good "all rounder", and it's one that I would recommend if you only want one retro machine. Get one of these, and combine it with DOSBox on a modern machine to play the relatively low number of speed sensitive games which may be in your games collection, which don't work perfectly on the i440BX retro box, and you've covered a lot of ground using a small amount of hardware.

Reply 14 of 77, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

It's worth noting that it takes a Coppermine Pentium 3 to smooth out the frame rates in some very demanding DOS games. It's also worth noting that there aren't hundreds of speed sensitive DOS games. 😉

Surely there aren't hundreds of those very demanding DOS games either? Whatever, I'll shut up now.

Reply 15 of 77, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
So... It's good because it's fast, has ISA slots, and doesn't use a VIA chipset? But like I said, wouldn't most things that cou […]
Show full quote
valnar wrote:

So... It's good because it's fast, has ISA slots, and doesn't use a VIA chipset? But like I said, wouldn't most things that could take special advantage of an ISA card be designed for a lower CPU speed?

A quick Google suggests there are s370 boards with the 440ZX chipset.

The BX is good because it's extremely compatible and stable. The same cannot be said of a VIA platform.

I never saw a 440ZX before. But another google search suggests it is a watered down version of the BX.

Reply 16 of 77, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

It's worth noting that it takes a Coppermine Pentium 3 to smooth out the frame rates in some very demanding DOS games. It's also worth noting that there aren't hundreds of speed sensitive DOS games. 😉

Surely there aren't hundreds of those very demanding DOS games either?

Hehe, that's a good point, you're right! But it's nice to play any 3D DOS game, knowing that your CPU isn't going to be any kind of bottleneck, and that your FPS rate is maxed out, and so providing the best looking performance.

Whichever way you look at building a retro PC, it's hard to cover all bases using one machine. I'm suggesting that an i440BX mobo can cover most options. If you decide that covering the speed sensitive games is more important, and that DOSBox is not a satisfactory solution, then your best option is to get a 386 or 486 mobo. But if you do, then the SVGA DOS performance won't be as good as the i440BX system, and Windows 95/98/etc won't look too good either.

Reply 17 of 77, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't you guys run into the pickyness of 440BX PCI yet? Watch out for those 3Com NICs, PCI IDE cards and/or sound cards.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-09-21, 18:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 18 of 77, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Haven't you guys run into the pickyness of 440BX PCI yet? Watch out for those 3Com NICs, PCI IDE cards and/or sound cards. They tend to get very angry if they are sharing an IRQ and on 440BX there are only 4 INTs to go around, I believe (meaning only 2 PCI slots are truly separate).

That's really interesting. I haven't come across this problem, because I've not used any NICs, and also I haven't used any PCI IDE cards either. I've tested PCI IDE cards on a 440BX mobo, but never used one on a daily basis. As far as sound cards are concerned, I've only used one PCI based sound card in conjunction with either a PCI or AGP graphics card, and luckily not encountered any problems. (I use ISA sound cards, but I don't tend to install their Windows based drivers.)

Reply 19 of 77, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Abit BF6 is very sensitive about which card goes where. It's probably partly the mobo's fault but is undoubtedly also related to the limitations of the 440BX PCI bus.

From BF6 manual: (a great manual btw)

! PCI slot 1 shares IRQ signals with the AGP slot. ! PCI slot 2 shares IRQ signals with the PCI slot 5 ! PCI slot 3 shares IR […]
Show full quote

! PCI slot 1 shares IRQ signals with the AGP slot.
! PCI slot 2 shares IRQ signals with the PCI slot 5
! PCI slot 3 shares IRQ signals with the PCI slot 6.
! PCI slot 4 shares IRQ signals with the USB controller.
! If you want to install two PCI cards into those PCI slots that share IRQ each other at
the same time, you have to make sure your OS and PCI devices’ driver support IRQ
sharing.
! PCI slot 6 is fully bus slave. Thus you can’t install a PCI card that needs to use bus
master signals into PCI slot 6. But you can install voodoo 1 or 2 that doesn’t need to
use bus aster signals into PCI slot 6.

You see that it quickly becomes difficult to keep cards from sharing an IRQ. But in my experience this isn't always the cause of problems. For example, I've found that sound cards seem to work best on slot 4 which shares with USB! Also, the board seems to be less picky when using Windows XP and I've attributed that to better PCI management in some way.

440BX isn't really different from other old chipsets in this way though. It's not worse than its predecessors or anything like that.

An interesting thing here is that the BF6 and BE6-II are the same board but the BF6 gets a 6th PCI slot whereas the BE6-II has a Highpoint UDMA chip.