Common searches

Glide patch

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 246, by MediaVistaIntel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

French original
Bonjour, je voudrais installer Windows 98 seconde édition sur dosbox avec carte 3dfx et directx (directx draw 2d 7) et (directx 3d 7, 8 et 9.0c) comme lui http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWOrj_Sk2ms . J'ai le cd non bootable de Windows 98 SE et la diquette bootable qui va avec. Le problème c'est que je ni arrive pas à l'installer Windows 98 SE sur dosbox, du moins de manière table qui ne plante pas, ce avec 3dfx et directx (directx draw 2d 7) et (directx 3d 7, 8 et 9.0c). Si quelqu'un peut m'aider à installer Windows 98 SE sur dosbox avec 3dfx et directx (directx draw 2d 7) et (directx 3d 7, 8 et 9.0c) ce de manière table, avec aussi lecteur cd voir même dvd et réseau LAN et Internet si possible.
translated into English by google
Hello, I would install Windows 98 Second Edition on dosbox with 3dfx card and directx (directx draw 2d 7) and (directx 3d 7, 8 and 9.0c) as he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWOrj_Sk2ms . I cd not bootable Windows 98 SE and bootable floppy that goes with it. The problem is that I happen or not to install Windows 98 SE on dosbox, at least on table that does not crash, what with 3dfx and directx (directx draw 2d 7) and (3d directx 7, 8 and 9.0 c). If anyone can help me install Windows 98 SE on dosbox with 3dfx and directx (directx draw 2d 7) and (3d directx 7, 8 and 9.0c) so this table, also with CD player or even DVD and network LAN and Internet if possible.

Reply 162 of 246, by btw3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now we have two great 'DOSBox Glide support' projects, but both have different approach for the problem.

Kekko's - glide wrappers independent and Gulikoza's that uses glide wrappers. Of course there are some advantages/disadvantages of using glide wrappers.

So what is the future of both projects?

Reply 163 of 246, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All I can say is that I tried the classic gulikoza's glide build from july 2009 + latest nglide wrapper (0.93) and direct3d (or opengl) dosbox output. the results are brilliant with the 2 3dfx dos games I tried: tombraider and carmageddon. Finally no more need of tricks and hacks to run the game with sound and 3dfx in windows. And about carmageddon: finally no graphic glitches, nglide with carma works far better than dgvoodoo.

No luck with nglide + cosmicdan's build or other less known experimental builds with glide support. maybe the lack of direct3d output or who knows...same result...crash (glide: grSstWinOpen failed)

Dual core 4gb ram geforce 9600m gt vista 32bit with latest drivers.

*edit: after other tests the crash with cosmicdan and other builds seems to be a weird opengl+nglide output incompatibility with my specific system. With my older system with ati card and Xp I used other builds successfully.

Last edited by Myloch on 2010-09-27, 14:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 164 of 246, by Rick Dalton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess BECAUSE of the different approaches both projects will probably have a bright future.

Using a glide wrapper simply gives you hardware accelerated 3D... but its compatibility is only limited to glide games, which are using the wrapper related external OVL file (these are a lot... but not all).
The voodoo chip emulation on the other hand won't have those problems. But since it is designed to be system independent, only software rendering makes sense (since not every system has a OpenGL or D3D interface). So there's no hardware accelerated 3D at all. But compatibility will be significantly higher with (in ideal cases) less rendering faults.

Sounds both good to me. So we (the users) have a free choice to always use the appropriate solution, which works best for a specific game.

Reply 166 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right....Can't seem to finish this stuff 😀

If you haven't noticed (because it's waay down on the Forum Index 😉), I've just posted a Highres rendering patch that allows OpenGlide to render games at higher resolution...I know OpenGlide development is really slow moving (not moving? 😀) but it's still the best opensource and crossplatform wrapper...I'll see if I can make Carmageddon start with it one of these days.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 167 of 246, by NerdIII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Archimedean Dynasty is also the reason why I installed DosBox at all. With 0.74 the software renderer is fast enough for it to be playable like it was on my PC with DOS in the past. The Glide version causes some reads/writes to invalid memory locations and the emulator seems to do some endless loop with the sound repeating the same samples and a black screen.

Reply 168 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latest version (including fixed briefing screens in AD) is available in the ykhwong's build. But wrappers still have trouble emulating this game...
You might have better luck with 3dfx voodoo chip emulation (which is a true hardware emulation, but it is also slower)

Reply 169 of 246, by NerdIII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it has a nice 16-bit software renderer so I don't see a reason for emulating a Voodoo card in software except for linear filtering of textures. 😀
The Glide to OpenGL wrapper would have sped up the game. At least that were my hopes when I tried it.

Reply 170 of 246, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The Glide version causes some reads/writes to invalid memory locations and the emulator seems to do some endless loop with the sound repeating the same samples and a black screen.

I don't see a reason for emulating a Voodoo card in software

Reply 171 of 246, by NerdIII

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wd: You take that quote out of context. I said a software emulation of the voodoo chip in this particular game doesn't improve the experience. You lose the shaking cockpit which is a framebuffer effect and gain texture filtering and maybe layman's transparency. Resolution and color depth stay the same. (I admit that the 3dfx uses 24-bit color internally). For other games that don't have a software renderer or where the 3dfx version looks twice as good (Tomb Raider) the emulator is really worth the effort in my eyes - if only to support games that cannot be run through a wrapper.
If you manage to write a 1:1 voodoo chip emulator that runs faster than the (emulated) software renderer I'm all ears though. 😀
I've written a software rasterizer and used the glide api myself years ago so I understand the problem. That was before the invention of SSE though.

Reply 172 of 246, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you manage to write a 1:1 voodoo chip emulator that runs faster than the (emulated) software renderer I'm all ears though.

Kekko's attempt is worth every bit even if it's 10x slower. Reference implementations
always are a nice thing to have, and you never know where it leads to.

Reply 173 of 246, by john_i_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having an odd graphics glitch in tomb raider using this patch. When I first start tomb raider, it seems to be plagued by these odd triangular shadows. They shadows jump on and off during play.

As a workaround I have found that if I either go into Lara's Home or start a new game, the problem gets corrected until I end and restart dosbox. It would seem that when the program shows one of the movies, and then goes back to the game it is fixed.

It's not really a big deal especially since I know how to correct it, but I am just wondering if this is a known bug, or possibly a configuration problem on my end.

BTW, I am running dosbox on linux with openglide wrapper (plus hires patch)

See attached before and after screenshots.

Attachments

• Filename
    bad1.png
    File size
    731.65 KiB
    Downloads
    574 downloads
    File comment
    Title screen showing problem
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    bad2.png
    File size
    1.05 MiB
    Downloads
    570 downloads
    File comment
    Loaded game level showing problem.
    File license
  • Filename
    good_after_movie.png
    File size
    745.05 KiB
    Downloads
    574 downloads
    File comment
    Title screen fixed after going into Lara's Home.
    File license
  • Filename
    good_after_movie2.png
    File size
    1.03 MiB
    Downloads
    581 downloads
    File comment
    Loaded game level after Lara's Home fix.
    File license

Reply 174 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like flat shading. Interestingly enough, openglide does not explicitly request smooth shading (as it is supposed to be default). I guess something switches opengl to flat shading...
You could try adding glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH) somewhere in InitOpenGL() (Glide.cpp in openglide).

Reply 175 of 246, by john_i_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That worked! I just added the glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH) at the end of the InitOpenGL() function, and now looks correct at startup. Thank you, gulikoza!

Also, I modified openglide to calculate the horizontal resolution at 16:10 rather than 4:3 to make it fill the screen on my laptop (This was active in the pics above). It just stretches it slightly, which still looks good to me. It might be worth adding a new config parameter to allow the aspect ratio to be set for people who don't mind the stretching on widescreens.

Reply 176 of 246, by Giskard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to start "Screamer 2" and "Screamer Rally" in 3dfx-mode, but I don't have any (more) idea... I rtied to start with nGlide (+gulikoza's dosbox) and some "glide-added-dosbox" but it wasn't success. In WinXP I could start these game by Glidos, but after 5-10 mins the games crashed + during the games there was empty spaces between the polygons. (Very strange thing that on Win7 I couldn't start them by Glidos...)

So, does anybody have a working receipt for these games? (In normal version they are works fine after I installed them, but this 3dfx-mode doesn't want to work)

Thanks!

Reply 177 of 246, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know about Screamer Rally but Screamer 2 should run without any problems using ykhwongs latest builds. Definitely usinge nGlide, but as far as I can remember the "out of the box" wrapper (OpenGlide) works fine too.

Just in case: be sure not to overwrite any other file than glide2x.dll when changing glide wrappers.

Reply 178 of 246, by Giskard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THANK YOU, it's almost working correctly! I used the suggested ykhwongs's dosbox, so it is working now, but only in a 640*480 window. When I change it to fullscreen (in D-Fend Reloaded) there is only a black screen with sounds. So the game is working, but without any pic. (and during the game doesn't effect the alt+enter)

After it I installed the nGlide, but what do I have to do with nGlide after install? I started and configured it, but do I need to leave the window opened or do I need to close it. And after a pc-restart? (of course the Screamer 2 stayed in windowed mode with nGlide)

In the evening I'll try to reinstall the game with using this DosBox, maybe it will help. I don't have any more idea.

I tried to use the OpenGlide but it wasn't success. In the readme the aurthor suggested Glidos for the Dos games.

EDIT: I reinstalled the game, but the window stayed in 640*480. Before I start it I changed the dosbox's window to fullscreen, but after I started the game it changed to 640*480 automatically. So it seems tha problem is in the ykhwongs's dosbox.

Reply 179 of 246, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you copy nGlides glide2x.dll from your Windows or System32 (SysWOW64 on64 bit machines) directory to your Dosbox folder? If not, you will have to do that!

That should be enough to play Glide games in fullscreen.

OpenGlide allows you to play fullscreen too. Take a look at its .ini file, you have to configure it via the .ini. And - at least I think so - you will have to start dosbox directly in fullscreen. Take a look at your dosbox.cfg for that.

Glidos is not really needed for Glide in Dosbox. At least not for the games I play.