VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt … em=370458989594 (Quantity remaining 2, $10 each.)

It's a pity it doesn't come with the 4MB Korg wavetable daughterboard, but I guess for $US 10, that was to be expected. Nevertheless, I think it's a good buy. I have a Korg Topwave 4MB DB I can attach to it.

mv.jpg

Reply 2 of 17, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it doesn't include the Korg Wavetable card, it's actually a Premium 3D card. I have one that I got as part of a MediaVision MV2200 Multimedia Upgrade Kit. It has the PROAUDIO 3D sticker next to the SCSI-II interface, but shipped without the Korg card, hence the Premium 3D designation.

Did it ship with any software, drivers or documentation?

Reply 3 of 17, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ Yes you must be right, it's a Premium 3D card. In gerwin's soundcards ISA.txt file (found here), there is this entry:

Premium 3-D MV JAZZ 16 chipset, built-in SRS surround sound, comes with KORG Wavetable daughter board on WBH.

I guess this card was sold with and also without the DB. There's also the possibility that the DB was removed, prior to it being listed on ebay. It's unlikely that the seller will include any software, drivers or documentation, because they are not mentioned in the ebay listing. Please note that the item hasn't arrived yet, because I only bought it yesterday! 😀

Reply 4 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if this card (along with other strange ones) are really useful nowdays for DOS gaming... in the context that we actually looking for compatible stuff that won't bother us much ....

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 17, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

I wonder if this card (along with other strange ones) are really useful nowdays for DOS gaming... in the context that we actually looking for compatible stuff that won't bother us much ....

IMHO, essentially speaking, I think you're right. They're probably not really useful, and probably not really worth bothering with. I bought it because I'm a bit mad, and was curious to test it. You never know, it might sound alright! 😀

Reply 6 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So are these Adlib or Soundblaster compatible or do certain games support these cards directly?

Do they offer anything interesting that the competition couldn't do?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And natively? Any benefits or interesting facts?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 17, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am attaching a copy of the MV2200 Poster. It is several square feet in size, but I think I captured every relevant section of information completely on at least one page in the PDF document. The last few pages will be of interest since it gives the jumper configuration information for the Premium 3-D/Pro 3-D card.

Attachments

• Filename
    Media_Vision_MV2200_Poster.pdf
    File size
    4.28 MiB
    Downloads
    645 downloads
    File comment
    MediaVision MV2200 Multimedia Upgrade Kit Poster in PDF format
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 17, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope it's useful. I remember being a little annoyed because this poster was the ONLY piece of documentation in the kit with any information on jumper configuration or CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT/SYSTEM.INI command options.

The MV2200 kit does have a 100+ page manual titled "Multimedia User Guide," but it is devoted primarily to the software included in the kit rather than the hardware. I made a PDF copy of it at the same time I created the Poster PDF, but it is 16+ MB, so I can't post it here. The document provides information on the included Sound Impression software, the Waveform Editor and the Recording Session software for Windows 3.11 and the DOS Mixer software. The DOS Mixer supposedly allows you to use the SRS 3D effects within DOS.

The MV2200 kit shipped with a Sanyo CRD-254S SCSI CD-ROM drive and several software titles. I am attaching PDFs of the Sanyo manual and the sheet listing the included software (most of which I no longer have).

I do still have copies of the two installation floppies for the kit. Because the multimedia kit includes the Sanyo drive, it may have drivers not included with whatever installation software existed for the Premium 3D/Pro 3D card by itself. If it turns out that you don't get drivers from the seller or can't find drivers for the card, let me know.

I have already posted the MediaVision Korg Wavetable Upgrade Manual in this thread:

Korg Midi Daughterboards

Attachments

• Filename
    Sanyo_CRD-254S_Manual.pdf
    File size
    695.28 KiB
    Downloads
    258 downloads
    File comment
    Sanyo CRD-254S SCSI CD-ROM Manual in PDF format
    File license
  • Filename
    Media_Vision_MV-2200_Docs.pdf
    File size
    82.37 KiB
    Downloads
    196 downloads
    File comment
    MediaVision MV2200 Software List in PDF format
    File license

Reply 13 of 17, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, first post here! I have had my MV Pro 3D in mothballs for many years, but have taken it out lately for a trip down memory lane. I have a fully boxed version, so if you need a scan of anything let me know.

As for the Pro 3D card itself, the manual says that it only does 8-bit SB emulation, and MPU-401 UART mode (not Command mode). I would imagine this carries over to the Premium 3D.

Reply 14 of 17, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akula65 wrote:

I do still have copies of the two installation floppies for the kit. Because the multimedia kit includes the Sanyo drive, it may have drivers not included with whatever installation software existed for the Premium 3D/Pro 3D card by itself. If it turns out that you don't get drivers from the seller or can't find drivers for the card, let me know.

Recently, I received two MV Pro audio 3D sound cards (without the Korg DBs). I'm ready to test them, but unfortunately I don't have any software. I checked DriverGuide.com, but couldn't spot anything useful. Please can I have a copy of the install diskettes, because I'm hoping it has DOS software on it, such as a mixer, and any init util that needs to initialize the card in DOS. Thanks a lot if possible! 😀

Reply 15 of 17, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The two MV2200 install floppies are attached. Page 10 of the Poster PDF has software install instructions.

There are(were) stand-alone drivers floating around for the Premium/Pro 3D, but I don't know where to get them these days.

Attachments

• Filename
    Disk_1.zip
    File size
    1.21 MiB
    Downloads
    410 downloads
    File comment
    Media Vision MV2200 Installation Floppy - Disk 1 in ZIP format
    File license
  • Filename
    Disk_2.zip
    File size
    1.31 MiB
    Downloads
    432 downloads
    File comment
    Media Vision MV2200 Installation Floppy - Disk 2 in ZIP format
    File license

Reply 17 of 17, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DOS driver, mixer and hardware initialize utils work great, thanks a lot! 😀 I'll try and do a recording soon. I'd do it right now, but I'm waiting for a virus (human!) to go...

Edit: I like the SB digital effects on this card. I tried Doom, and the stereo effects sounded good. I liked the way the left and right channels sounded distinctly "seperated". You could clearly hear things coming from the left and right, and that seperation made the effects sound impressive.