VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi people,

I've played a bit with the King's Quest 1 remake by AGD Interactive, and noticed something strange about the aspect ratio.

It seems to be more "natural" looking in a 16:10 aspect ratio than in the supposedly correct 4:3 aspect ratio. (I can easily switch from one to the other because my monitor has a function in the menu to cycle between those two aspect ratios)

Then I saw this page:
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/videog … resolution.html

And thought: what if the game was authored using a wrong aspect ratio??

Could it be possible that the game creators used square pixels instead of tall rectangular pixels??

Do you know of similar blunders in other famous games?

Reply 2 of 14, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I've noticed that Tyrian 2000 looks better in 4:3 than it does in 16:10, even though it runs at 320x200 which is a 16:10 resolution.

Reply 3 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Well, I've noticed that Tyrian 2000 looks better in 4:3 than it does in 16:10, even though it runs at 320x200 which is a 16:10 resolution.

320x200 was always a 4:3 resolution even though the pixels don't say so. All the VGA cards back then displayed it in 4:3, as with 640x400 as well.

Reply 4 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

320x200 was always a 4:3 resolution even though the pixels don't say so.

This. Some resolutions assume rectangular pixels, not square ones.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 14, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Even Tyrian ignores this in places. In-game for example, shields and spheres look vertically stretched even though planets in the menu look fine. Also, EarthSiege's radar also looks stretched even though the rest of the game was made to be stretched to 4:3.

Just one of those little things I guess. Good thing DOSBOX lets you choose which ratio you want to play at.

Reply 7 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

That's because Tyrian's art was done by an amiga artist who don't really live in 320x200 to know this

From Wikipedia

"Without using overscan, the graphics can be 320 or 640 pixels wide by 200 (NTSC standard) /256 (PAL standard) or 400 (NTSC interlace)/512 (PAL interlace mode) pixels tall. Overscan mode enabled 704 x 484 resolution in NTSC machines."

So Amiga does have a 320x200 mode.

Reply 8 of 14, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOTT seemed like a 16:10 ratio game as well in some areas. It's a shame to have such inconsistency in official products let alone fan games.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 10 of 14, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot Silent Loon, that was a very informative thread.

I guess this problem is more widespread than I thought at first!

Have you taken a look at the King's Quest I remake? What's your opinion on the aspect ratio?

To me it looks much better in a 16:10 AR with square pixels.

Reply 11 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Happens to new games, such as The Secret Files series. It's best played in 4:3 letterboxed (the game takes care of that), otherwise you miss out on a little bit of detail.

I can understant why though; Scenes are prerendered, so it's one or the other.

Reply 12 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Leolo wrote:

Have you taken a look at the King's Quest I remake? What's your opinion on the aspect ratio?

To me it looks much better in a 16:10 AR with square pixels.

Which do you mean? The official Sierra SCI remake or the fan made AGS remake?

Reply 14 of 14, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

X-Wing (and TIE Fighter, if run in VGA mode) are bipolar. Things like the HUD were designed to be stretched, but the actual game view was not squished to compensate, so it's vertically stretched in the end.

Not really something that can be shown with a screenshot, I'm afraid.

I've noticed 3D Doom ports like GZDoom handle it incorrectly as well. Instead of making the game world taller, it just stretches the game view out. So if you look down, even the floor is stretched vertically.