AWE64 and DOS/ Win98

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 50, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the rig I was talking about earlier
My new Woo-Hoo!!! rig

Also, on the specs of the audio and Ethernet of my mobo says ICH2 for the chipset so it should be able to use sblink right?

Last edited by gwb on 2011-01-13, 09:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went to this webpage -

http://www.ibase-i.com.tw/2009/Manuals/MB80010B.pdf

And on page 69, it mentions NMI. I don't know for sure if that means your AWE64 will work in it, but it looks promising.

Reply 43 of 50, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some more digging and found a CT3600 which appears to be another PNP card. Any low cost suggestions for cards that aren't PNP and that I could see if they work in this system?

Reply 44 of 50, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gwb wrote:

I did some more digging and found a CT3600 which appears to be another PNP card. Any low cost suggestions for cards that aren't PNP and that I could see if they work in this system?

Search ebay for CT2230. Those things are quite good non-PnP SB16s.

Reply 45 of 50, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Search ebay for CT2230. Those things are quite good non-PnP SB16s.

I'll be picking one of those up shortly. I also have a few other goodies arriving in from eBay 😁
In other news, I did try the CT3600 and had the same results as the awe64g. I'm hoping that it is just a PNP issues

Reply 46 of 50, by zauche

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys !

I'm nearly done setting up my RETRO gaming computer but now I've a problem.
I've bought an AWE64 Gold + Digital OUT Connector and do not get any SoundFX through the Digital OUT - but music (MIDI) works perfectly...
In some games it does very scratchy sounds instead of the normal SoundFX.

The AWE64 Gold is connected through the Digital-Out connector to my digital amplifyer.
My operating system is Win98SE with the latest AWE64 Drivers. I've also tried it in real DOS and the same problem occurs.

I did the diagnose.exe and aweutil /s thing...

diagnose.... 8 and 16bit sounds doesn't show any error but the card doesn't play anything
the music stuff works

aweutil..... i got the REVERB and CHORUS status bars

and the sound card initializing drivers shows that 3 of 3 things are set properly.

My system is:
------------------------
Asus P3BF mainboard with latest Bios Version (BIOS 1008 BETA 4) (2x ISA Ports)
PIII - 1000Mhz/100FSB Slot CPU
512MB RAM
Win98 SE
AWE64 Gold + Digital OUT connector
Matrox Mystique 4MB
Voodoomania 3DFX 4MB
VFX-1 Headgear Card (ISA)
Network Connection Card

Do you have any ideas how to fix this problem, so that also the SoundFX will be transmitted through the Digital OUT ?

Thanks !

Zauche

Reply 48 of 50, by zauche

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the information.

In the case the AWE64 Gold behaves as its "little brother":
------------------------------------------------------------------------
That means I can't use the AWE64 Digital Out for games and I have to use the 2xCinch instead !?!? 🙁
What's the Digital Out meant for ?

Reply 50 of 50, by Jacques

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys, I'm reviving this topic, since I'm experiencing problem with AWE64's FM synthesis music under pure DOS 6.22.
While in-game sounds are okay in all games, AWE64's wavetable plays okay, FM music is somehow not as pure as should be. You can hear it based on Mortal Kombat example (clearly heared oscilating distortion in the background).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM9Q1H5lFFc

There are no hardware conflicts, machine is fine (486DX/33), so are the speakers, it's just FM music that gets affected in similiar way in games.
With no CTCM, AWEUTIL and empty config.sys/autoexec.bat , problem still persists.

The question is: is only my AWE64 affected or is it general "feature"/downside of all AWE64s?
Another question, what's the case with AWE32? I guess it should be fine, since it has basically SB16's chips responsible for FM synthesis?

Thanks in advance for opinion and/or testing (e.g. MK) 😀

P.S. It's AWE64 value (CT4520).

UPDATE:
I've tested on another CT4520 borrowed from my friend and basically it's the same. So it's just they don't sound properly FM-wise in general.