Common searches

Technically impressive FM synth music

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 240, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jepael wrote:

I have to check but I recall many emulators (might include Dosbox) are not sample (or "cycle") accurate, and they run OPL emulation in blocks. Like for example to achieve sampling rate of 48000 Hz, it generates 48 sample blocks from register settings, and does it 1000 times per second.

That's why it sounds so bad, maybe if you could use adplug with dosbox...

So, could an opl tracler like RAD really use pcm samples and synth instruments at the same time?

Talking about Reality adlib Tracker, I was able to reproduce some cool drums from a loudness system song (this is the original song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvK03slBdJs&feature=relmfu).

I realised these drums contain some melodic parts, and they are not just noise. Then the melodic tone changes very fast with some Slide note down, so I tried in RAD and it sounds really good!.

This is the RAD tune: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/757056/Loudness.RAD
I'm not a musician, so the song is not as good as the original, it is just a test. I had to use three channels to recreate the snares.

One channel contains a melodic bass drum, the second contains a hard and short noise snare, and the third has a soft and longer noise.

It would be cool if someone recorded it on a real OPL2 😀.

Reply 101 of 240, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Leftover recordings (for the handful of you that bother to listen to this stuff)...

Genpei War (源平合戦)
Alternate Battle Theme
Finale

The Legend of Sword and Fairy (仙劍奇俠傳)
PALADIN_5.mp3
PALADIN_6.mp3
PALADIN_7.mp3

Empire of the Angel II (天使帝國二)
A14
A29

Reply 102 of 240, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:
Leftover recordings (for the handful of you that bother to listen to this stuff)... […]
Show full quote

Leftover recordings (for the handful of you that bother to listen to this stuff)...

Genpei War (源平合戦)
Alternate Battle Theme
Finale

PALADIN_5.mp3
PALADIN_6.mp3
PALADIN_7.mp3

A14
A29

I not only bother to listen to them, but also archive them in my VGmusic folder. Love em, Thank you 😀

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 103 of 240, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
Leftover recordings (for the handful of you that bother to listen to this stuff)... […]
Show full quote

Genpei War (源平合戦)
Alternate Battle Theme
Finale

PALADIN_5.mp3
PALADIN_6.mp3
PALADIN_7.mp3

A14
A29

What chip is Genpei war using? It produces a very realistic whistle sound 😀

Reply 104 of 240, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mills26 wrote:

What chip is Genpei war using? It produces a very realistic whistle sound 😀

Everything I've posted in this thread is an OPL2 (YM3812) composition/arrangement. For the recordings, however, I've captured the S/PDIF output from an OPL3-based AWE32.

Reply 105 of 240, by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all FM & Midifreaks, this is my first post here, sorry for my impossible english !

I'im writing at the moment a large post for the Vogons Forum 😉

but back to topic:

yes, the LDS System is interesting and sounds very well, i didn't play a DOS Game like Tyrian with LDS Songs

I have several German PC Games Magazines CD ROMs from about 1996 until over 2000 and in every PC Game Issue there was backround music in LDS Format, unfortunately i cant rip the orginal LDS File from "menu - programm" which played in the menu.

certainly / indeed, i recorded already some songs with my ESS Audiodrive ES1869F, from German PC Games and this Songs i want to share with you all

In future i will soon record more Songs from German Pc Game CD Roms, alltogether i have about over 6 Pc Game Issue

Who interested in it / that you can look to this thread on Soundshock. where i have written already a post to this topic, my Nick there is "Matthias"

The shown links to the Records are outdated
http://soundshock.se/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3 … highlight=games

Here i will serve the 4 LDS records:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/PcGames-Theme.mp3
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/PcGames97-7 … chaelStumpf.mp3
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/PcGames98-M … chaelStumpf.mp3
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/PcGames-EndThemes.mp3

additional i give you the menu programm which found on the german pc games CD Rom, here could experts among yourselves to try rip the original LDS File from menu, there is a chance to find the LDS File in the menu.exe, MENUE.HA, MENUE.MS, the Theme Song i think is hidden in the intro.exe, the End little End Theme Song in the End.exe, but i don't know how i can compiled Files to decompress

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/PCGames.zip

And here some other FM records (no emulation)

This song i found in the menü of DOS Game Sword of Honuor (Demoversion) known also on Commodore Amiga

i don't know the orginal Format (see the link above) http://soundshock.se/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3 … highlight=games

in any case a nice sounding FM Song written by the hero Thomas Detert
It stumbling a little bit but it doesn't matter

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/SwordOfHono … homasDetert.mp3

And here last but least some catchy XMI Songs, played by AIL Miles Driver via xmiplay.exe
This Songs shows the possiblities of very well midisequenced songs and the use of supherb soundings FM Timbre for a crystal clear FM midi file playback

this Songs recorded Songs of altogether 36, i have taken again from Demo CD Roms about 1996 until 1998, the orginal game titel from i have taken this XMI captures, I can't remember, maybe / perhaps you?

Lets go:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/FM-Stuff/team02xmi.mp3
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/FM-Stuff/Team1xmi.mp3
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/FM-Stuff/Team06xmi.mp3
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/FM-Stuff/Team11xmi.mp3

The Delay at the end of Track11 isn't orginal, its a effect on my part. 😉

Nice Regards
Matthias

Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Ess Audio Drive-Compaq (ISA)
- Soundblaster 2.0
-Audioblaster Pro 4.0 at the time puplished by CPS Hamburg

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF

Reply 106 of 240, by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here i will give some directories with respective XMI Files and the XMiplay.exe but there is only a driver for soundblaster user, the others i don't need, early with my ESS Audiodrive which was every time compatible with this driver.

This little Archive i collected over several years about between 1996 and 1999, all XMI Files was taken from Demo / Shareware CD'a, also "xmiplay.exe, i found in one of the many Gamedirectories, i was so happy, in those days, eventual i could play exotic midisquences.

This Directory Structure in this ZIP Archiv exists since over 15 years, created by me.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/XMI-Stuff.zip

To play the xmifiles, i have give a File Association with the *.xmi Files and xmiplay.exe in the DX Expander, today with Volkov Commander, i create even Batch Files, for a jukebox function, you will see that in the directories

Happy trying with this !

Matthias

Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Soundblaster 2.0

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF

Reply 107 of 240, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I knew there something wrong with windows version of xmi player,
thanks for your post, I can finally found whats wrong.

Its the SAMPLE.AD files (or SAMPLE.OPL, depend which sound device you set to play the .XMI),
that usualy supplied in Miles Sound System distribution.
Using wrong/different SAMPLE.AD file the .XMI music will sounds "wrong-ly" or not-play-able at all,
and modern .XMI decoder/player like included in WinAmp's use different approach, it disregard the specific SAMPLE.AD in favor of generalized 'sounds'.
Thats why I always felt that .XMI played by windows program/player sound-ed quite differents.

-fffuuu

Reply 108 of 240, by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again!

Many XMI Files are written for the MT-32, you can hear if it sounds wrong.

For a clean GM Playback you can take the programm, mttogm.exe(commandline based), which converts XMI or MT-32 Midi Files with the textfile "PATCHCNV.TXT" to GM Midis

If you wish to play the converted GM Midi songs via OPL / FM Synthese, then take the "rad game tools" how the USER: "elianda" itin this thread already said, for back converts the GM converted Midis respectively to play the GM Midis by the Miles Driver Timbres.

With follow Tools, you take a XMIplay and Midi 2 XMI converter, which is the menu.exe, the importand program setm.exe sets your Midi / FM / OPL Device, i recommend the real hardware, no emulation ;D

I believie this Package here is known, i get this here at vogons but it doesn't matter 😉

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62653611/dmkit150.zip

And now much fun with XMI possibilities

Matthias

Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Soundblaster 2.0

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF

Reply 109 of 240, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also use XMIplay often, on both my DOS retro system and my current XP system. I am using batch scripts like you. My retro system even has an option to convert MID to XMI and then use XMIplay, together with other options: MUSplay, AWEplay, GSplay. Either using General Midi, Creative AWE/EMU, FM, or PC-Speaker hardware. 😀
Actually the file associations point to batch files, and I have one main configuration menu which can modify these batch files and thus modify how the music is played.

@Joey_sw
But why would the windows version of XMIplay bother with an FM bank file? I don't know any windows game that ever directly communicated with FM hardware to play FM music. So XMIplay for Windows should only support General Midi.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 110 of 240, by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Gerwin!

Is the Use of xmiplaying in your XP emulated? its cause different to run OPL Playback in XP

"So XMIplay for Windows should only support General Midi."

If you have a FM Device(ESFM) in Windows installed, you can of course play GM Files via FM but most its sounds different to the original use of the File

I have the:

Soundblaster 2.0 (ISA)
ESS Audiodrive 1989F (ISA)(out of function 🙁 but i get soon a other Audio Drive)
Audio Blaster Pro 4.0 (ymf262-M) (CPS - Hamburg) (ISA)
Forte Media FM801 (PCI)
ESS Solo 1939s (PCI)

My intention is the record possibilities of the Adlib Playback in Winwos 98 via Winamp Adplug + true OPL Playback and simultaneously the record of the Playback in audacity certainly must the soundcard support 16 bit record Resolution, if not again per audio cable 😉

Matthias

Last edited by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak on 2012-10-08, 08:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Soundblaster 2.0

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF

Reply 111 of 240, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FM-OPL-Midi-Freak wrote:

...the LDS System is interesting and sounds very well, i didn't play a DOS Game like Tyrian with LDS Songs

I have several German PC Games Magazines CD ROMs from about 1996 until over 2000 and in every PC Game Issue there was backround music in LDS Format, unfortunately i cant rip the orginal LDS File from "menu - programm" which played in the menu...

Thanks a lot!. The lds songs you post are using exactly the same instruments as the games "dig it!" and "fuzzy's world". There is one of then that sounds just like a tune from dig it 😀.

I am trying to copy the lds sounds using Reality Adlib Tracker, I'm sure this is not 100% possible, but and I really got some very cool drums!. i'm not a musician, so the song contains bad notes, because I tried to imitate a voice.. 😀... the drums start at 0.25...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aJBldAVmWc

This is the RAD file.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/757056/adlib/Abirds.rad

could you record it using your real hardware?

I'm going to run the German program in dosbox. Lds tunes sound very well on emulators 😀.

Mills

Reply 112 of 240, by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello mills26 😉

Please, no cause ;=)

yes, of course it sounds like LDS from Dig It and Fuzzy World, the Song are definitely LDS Songs 😀

I see (emulation of LDS is good) but i have the posibilities to record all my FM Stuff with real hardware, that important for me, some nuances are missing via emulation, as emergency anwer ok (the emulation) 😉

Bye the way iam not a musican also, but i have at the moment Piano Lesson on a music school, i will later be able to do arrange Midi Songs, more difficult is the arranging of FM music with adlib tracker etc.. i will see what is possible.

To the beginn i try later, when iam fit in midisequencing and music theory my first FM writing in Visual Composer (*.rol Files) but its a long way until then.

Which song contains bad notes ?

Is that your own Song on the youtubelink, you must be joking, if you said you be not a musican 😉

You want start my linked PC Game Menü programm?! you must it start in Win98 or Win95, i think you can't it run in DOS

"could you record it using your real hardware? "

Yes, i can but i need a little bit time for that, the angrybird.rad is now on my HD 😉

A little question: you know Lois Gorenfeld's Rad Tracks, if not, it is a must to hear his awesome funky FM Tracks, iam wondering about that, because i doesn't have records from him yet.

Best Greets
Matthias

Last edited by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak on 2012-10-05, 22:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Soundblaster 2.0

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF

Reply 113 of 240, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again FM-OPL-Midi-Freak. Some parts of the program loaded in dosbox, just an intro and a screem with "happy birthday" in lds format 😊

The music is mine, and it is not... I can just copy songs by ear, so I copied the sequence from another "real" remix from the original, just by testing in rad, it is very easy to use.

😉

Reply 114 of 240, by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aahh 😉 nice the function which it is possible to start the intro.exe and ende.exe, the ende.exe shows here definite the limitations of emulations, the sound of the "ende.exe Song" is wrong / rubbish

How do you mean the follow:

"The music is mine, and it is not"

"I can just copy songs by ear, so I copied the sequence from another "real" remix from the original, just by testing in rad, it is very easy to use"

...copy songs by ear....an then you are able to write the heared Song in Adlib Tracker, i couldn't that not 😉

And what you test in Reality Adlib tracker exactly

Meanwhile i have start the nmenu.exe and wow, in DOSBox it starts the MainMenu of the PC Games with a happy / rocking LDS Song, nice nice 😉

Now we can, if we want rip this playing LDS Song via DOS BoX function Raw OPL Data -> to a *.dro File

Matthias

Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Soundblaster 2.0

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF

Reply 115 of 240, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DRO files are very big, but you can rip the lds.

In Reality Adlib Tracker I tested the drums, they are normal drums, but they have tu be something melodic, not just a noise, so that you can use a very fast "change note" effect on them, and that is how some lds instruments work, I think.

Reply 116 of 240, by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But how you can import the LDS File in Adlib Tracker 2 to test the drums, i just tried it, but ADlib Tracker can't handle LDS Files

Matthias

Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Soundblaster 2.0

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF

Reply 117 of 240, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FM-OPL-Midi-Freak wrote:

But how you can import the LDS File in Adlib Tracker 2 to test the drums, i just tried it, but ADlib Tracker can't handle LDS Files

Matthias

I tested how to create sounds similar to lds music, I created them, not imported, you can't import lds files.

Reply 118 of 240, by FM-OPL-Midi-Freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know,that is why i asked and are you able to write music in Adlib tracker 2? respect if its true, i wish i could too.

So iam tired, i must sleep

read you later

In the next days, i search all my PC Games CD Roms, currently i know what i need to run the main menu from German PC Games

The nmenu.exe need:

- MENUE.HA or Menue.MS, its different from ISSue to ISSUE what the nmenu.exe need.

I will present the next time all Issues of the German PC Games, in a Zip File, every ISSUE need about 2 mb less or more

Good Night

Matthias

Equipment:
- ESS Solo (PCI)
- Soundblaster 2.0

-Sw1000XG / Motif XF

Reply 119 of 240, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm more interested if there any SAMPLE.AD or SAMPLE.OPL editor out-there ?

as I tried to replace a version of that file with another version, the .XMI music will play differently,
somehow it feels like changing sound-font presets,
albeit with limited capability imposed by what MSS can/can't do.

and of course you can't to this 'customization' with windows .xmi player like winamp.

-fffuuu