VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I bought a used Logictech Wingman Digital 3D joystick at Goodwill for $2. I knew it had a gameport connector on it, but I was hoping that it would work with my generic gameport to USB adapter. It doesn't. 🙁

Then I hopped on the net to see if Logitech made their own adapter and it seems that they did. After a little Googling for the pinout of such an adapter, I found the following;

GameportToUSBAdapter.png

The site the image is on, is (was?) run by Logitech developers, so this information should be accurate, but since I just found the file by itself, rather than it being referenced by a web page, I don't know for sure that this is the proper adapter.

This post on another site;

http://pinouts.ru/forum/index.php?topic=1676.0

Appears to corroborate the image, but the author of that post says he tried to put a USB connector directly on the cord of a Wingman joystick using that information and it didn't work.

Does anyone have one of these joysticks with the USB adapter? If so, would you be willing to check the connections in the adapter?

Reply 1 of 5, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The connections in your PIN ASSIGNMENTS diagram exactly match those in the gameport-to-USB converter included with my Logitech WingMan Gamepad Extreme. This adapter has the following part no. stamped on the USB end: 501269-0000. The adapter appears to be identical to the one in this post (see the last photo):

http://northmiss.craigslist.org/vgm/4299553841.html

By the way, the Microsoft gameport-to-USB converter labeled "Microsoft SideWinder Devices Only, Made in China, 98427" that shipped with my Microsoft SideWinder Freestyle Pro gamepads (and other SideWinder devices) seems to be functionally equivalent to this Logitech adapter. So if you have one of those, you could try it as a substitute.

Reply 2 of 5, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
akula65 wrote:

The connections in your PIN ASSIGNMENTS diagram exactly match those in the gameport-to-USB converter included with my Logitech WingMan Gamepad Extreme. This adapter has the following part no. stamped on the USB end: 501269-0000. The adapter appears to be identical to the one in this post (see the last photo):

http://northmiss.craigslist.org/vgm/4299553841.html

Thanks. I wonder if they just used the same adapter for all their USB capable products.

akula65 wrote:

By the way, the Microsoft gameport-to-USB converter labeled "Microsoft SideWinder Devices Only, Made in China, 98427" that shipped with my Microsoft SideWinder Freestyle Pro gamepads (and other SideWinder devices) seems to be functionally equivalent to this Logitech adapter. So if you have one of those, you could try it as a substitute.

Unfortunately I don't. At one point, I had the pinout for that adapter and was going to make one (I have a couple Sidewinder joysticks without adapters) but I never got around to it, and now I can't even find where I saved the information.

Reply 3 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah! I have one of these Logitech Wingman Digital 3D joysticks with the passive gameport-USB adapter around and always meant to investigate this. However, I have no way to test the signals/pinouts.

akula65, that would be extremely interesting if the Microsoft adapter was exactly identical...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 5, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Ah! I have one of these Logitech Wingman Digital 3D joysticks with the passive gameport-USB adapter around and always meant to investigate this. However, I have no way to test the signals/pinouts.

That's great! Just check and see if it has the same Logitech part number that I indicated above. It should be on the USB end of the adapter.

Reply 5 of 5, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Many years ago, I made my own continuity tester. Not being all that handy at building things, I taped two AA batteries to a stick along with the bulb from a 2-cell flashlight, then taped wires to the side of the bulb and the negative end of the battery. Touch the wires to the pins of the connectors and if the bulb lights, there's a connection. 😀

Stiletto wrote:

akula65, that would be extremely interesting if the Microsoft adapter was exactly identical...

I did a couple searches and found this;

http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=14791

The information in that thread confirms that the Microsoft adapter is the same.