Space Quest IV CD-ROM hacking

Getting old DOS games working. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here).

Space Quest IV CD-ROM hacking

Postby NewRisingSun » 2015-8-19 @ 19:28

This is just a new version of my old SQ4 CD patch. Also posted are saved games made at dramatically-charged points in the game. Ye olde changelog:
Code: Select all
1.0     Original Sierra On-Line release.

1.1   - Inserted floppy-version graphics whenever they looked better.
      - Changed "Hz So Good" back into Radio Shock, because looking at the store sign still makes the narrator speech say "Radio Shack - A Dandy store".
      - Fixed hideEgoInStore script.
      - Fixed all "timer bugs".
      - Fixed sewer slime not following when leaving the screen too quickly.
      - Fixed incorrect rhythm channel flags in sound resources.
      - Added "both" (Text+Speech) option.
      - Added debug mode.
      - Added option to play MT-32-recorded sfx through MT-32.
      - Lasers firing at sea slug tentacle now create sound.
      - The time pod sequence can now be skipped.
      - Synchronized patrol ship sequence to music.

1.1a  - Fixed a palette problem with the Droid-O-Death.

1.2   - Added script for "removed items" room.
      - Readded removed Radio Shock products (sorry, no speech for them).
      - Added priority information to sound resources --- no more popping
        sounds from the MT-32 (due to reverb change) whenever a sound effect
        plays.
      - Added removed "Stunt Flyer" and "Dacron Danny" bargain bin games.
      - Orbs now create sound during captiveScript sequence.
      - Removed volume change during speech output. If the music is too
        loud, change the volume in the control panel.
      - Fixed scrolling in video driver.

1.3   - Removed one-second delay after each speech line.
      - Added 2xOPL2/OPL3 support to ADL.DRV.
      - Fixed Oops! message during mall police chase
To avoid distributing any copyrighted content, the patch application procedure is now a bit more involved, though not as bad as the KQ4 patch's. Since the superior background graphics are taken from the floppy disk version, you need that one as well.
  1. Download and extract the patch files into a directory
  2. Copy all files from 256-color English PC floppy version 1.052 or 1.1 into a subdirectory FLOPPY\ below the directory under 1)
  3. Copy the files from the SQ4 CD-ROM into a subdirectory CDROM\ below the directory under 1)
  4. Run (under DOS or DOSBox) PATCHSQ4.BAT from the directory created in 1). The patched version will be in a subdirectory NEW\
  5. Optional: If you are using MUNT or a real MT-32, rename 65535.M32 to 65535.MAP.
Booyah. Let's see if this works for anyone.
Edit: Updated the patcher to hopefully address keropi's problems.
Attachments
sq4patch13.zip
SQ4 CD patch version 1.3
(2.63 MiB) Downloaded 196 times
sq4saves13.zip
saved games
(423.94 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Last edited by NewRisingSun on 2015-8-20 @ 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Re: Space Quest IV CD-ROM hacking

Postby keropi » 2015-8-19 @ 19:45

excellent work as always! thanks NRS!

edit:
can't get this working - tried with dosbox and real pc... after patching and config I start the game and all I get is a blank screen with the cdrom cursor. SQ4 floppy version is 1.052 and cd-rom is 1.0 but both had some patches/fixes applied
1.2 was fine for me with the same source files, will try with a fresh copy of both sources and report back

edit2:
stock/untouched CDROM and 1.1 files worked
some feedback:
- on a real machine the "cycles max" command gives an error, perhaps putting an echo under it saying "on a real machine you'll see above a bad command message" or something similar will be better
- resource.cfg on directory "NEW" does not patch the "audio=" line , so unless you put the path or .\ you will not hear speech (I don't know why but in dosbox that doesn't matter - maybe it's my setup)
- I always get a freeze when I try to quit, I hear the speech "See ya on the blah blah" and the game freezes - mt-32 plays music fine though.
- disabling l2 cache and using the updated SB16 driver (searching the issue as I do have a SB16) I don't get the exit freeze and I hear the "see you in the chronostream blah blah" dialog but when you first start the game the 2 first dialogues Roger speaks are silent. He begins talking on the 3rd dialog.

NRS, can you please verify that I have a correct "NEW" directory generated?

keropi
l33t++

Postby Jorpho » 2015-8-19 @ 22:17

To be clear, the version on GOG/Steam is the CD version and only the CD version, right?
Jorpho
l33t++

Postby keropi » 2015-8-19 @ 22:20

GOG yes - it's the CD version, I didn't bother with it because they tend to strip files :\
Steam I have no idea.

I can't get it stable on my machine, tried with SB-only setup, I get a freeze after a while and music continues to play... :\ just hear a couple of words from Roger in the start, move the mouse a little and it's freeze time.
keropi
l33t++

Postby collector » 2015-8-19 @ 22:26

What Steam has is from the 2006 VU collection, so it is stripped more than the GOG version. However, I have been told that my patch for the VU collection works on the Steam release, but since I do not have it I cannot verify this.
collector
l33t

Postby spiffythedog » 2015-8-20 @ 03:59

Hey there, NRS. Long time fan of your work!

I was just wondering if this new version of your Space Quest IV CD patch/update would be compatible with tikalat's small modification that sets text + speech by default when starting a new game and subsequently adds subtitles to the entire introduction sequence: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32587&start=80#p271997

That is, unless you were planning to incorporate it into a future version? I'm fine either way.
spiffythedog

Postby NewRisingSun » 2015-8-20 @ 05:50

I have updated the patcher to just copy patched sound drivers instead of using binary diff on them, since different drivers may have been shipped with different releases, and added the "audio=.\" line to the default RESOURCE.CFG.
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby idspispopd » 2015-8-20 @ 08:15

keropi wrote:GOG yes - it's the CD version, I didn't bother with it because they tend to strip files :\
Steam I have no idea.

I can't get it stable on my machine, tried with SB-only setup, I get a freeze after a while and music continues to play... :\ just hear a couple of words from Roger in the start, move the mouse a little and it's freeze time.

I had to switch to a different mouse driver for playing SQ4. IIRC it froze when the mouse cursor reached the top of the screen with the old driver.
idspispopd
Oldbie

Postby keropi » 2015-8-20 @ 08:27

^ interesting... I use ctmouse , maybe microsoft's driver is needed here?
keropi
l33t++

Postby NewRisingSun » 2015-8-20 @ 08:58

Well, the sound driver is Sierra's final real mode AUDBLAST.DRV, which came with the CD-ROM version of Freddy Pharkas. I vaguely remember having problems with CTMOUSE as well.

keropi wrote:on a real machine the "cycles max" command gives an error,
I suppose I could precede the "cycles max" with a "if exist z:\mount.com" to prevent the error message in real DOS.
Last edited by NewRisingSun on 2015-8-20 @ 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby keropi » 2015-8-20 @ 09:02

I will test later when I get back home , with the new patch and msmouse driver and report back :)

I remember I faced a similar problem with only other game: the Monkey Island Ultimate Talkies for DOS. Speech/input would freeze and mt-32 music would play forever. Animations would work as well. Never found a solution to this.
keropi
l33t++

Postby NewRisingSun » 2015-8-20 @ 16:39

Just tried my patch again on a real Pentium II system, with AWE64 Gold at A220 I5 D1 H5 connected to a Roland CM-500 and a PS/2 3-button mouse, mouse driver CuteMouse 2.0 alpha 4 with no command line parameters. Both with MT32.DRV+AUDBLAST.DRV and ADL.DRV+AUDBLAST.DRV no problems even with frantic mouse movements during speech. Tried it both with real mode (HIMEM.SYS+UMBPCI.SYS) and protected mode (JEMMEX.EXE) memory managers. And yes, my AUDBLAST.DRV has a different CRC32 (06D59A4A) than yours, so please try the updated patcher.
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby keropi » 2015-8-20 @ 22:04

Sadly the same thing happens to my setup even with the new patch... move the mouse while SB is in use and it's freeze time.
It's mouse related , if I have the game not use the mouse then it does not freeze. Maybe it's a MVP3 problem, ps2 mouse implementation , some random non-sense. I will try with a serial mouse tomorrow out of curiosity...

seems another have had the same issue... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37119

running the game on the same machine under win98SE fixes the problem and there are no freezes.... :neutral:
Using a p233mmx/MVP3/128MB/Riva128zx/SB16-2230/MPU401AT/GUS_Classic setup
keropi
l33t++

Postby NewRisingSun » 2015-8-21 @ 00:15

Just tried again: CTMOUSE runs SQ4 perfectly with no problems, but switching to the Logitech Mouse Driver (LMOUSE) immediately makes the described problems appear. So I misremembered and falsely blamed CTMOUSE! LMOUSE apparently does something wrong that CTMOUSE does right on my system.

How do other Sierra CD-ROM adventures with AUDBLAST.DRV drivers run for you? Your link indicates that the CuteMouse driver version may also make a difference (2.0 versus 2.1).
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby keropi » 2015-8-21 @ 07:03

I'll have to check what other games use the AUDBLAST.DRV - original SQ4 CD version crashes also in the same manner so it's not the patche's fault.
Maybe I'll try LMOUSE and see if it helps - I am pretty sure I use the last CTMOUSE version. I did test MSMOUSE but it behaved the same. It must be something in the ps2_mouse implementation on the mobo , I see it takes IRQ12 that does not conflict with the SB (ofcourse)
keropi
l33t++

Postby NewRisingSun » 2015-8-21 @ 08:39

You're NOT supposed to try the latest CTMOUSE (2.1), but 2.0.
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby keropi » 2015-8-21 @ 09:01

^ gotcha , IIRC I am using 2.1b4 ... will know for sure back home , I'll report later :)
keropi
l33t++

Postby NewRisingSun » 2015-8-21 @ 10:30

Just tried replacing my CTMOUSE 2.0 alpha 4 with version 2.1 alpha 4 and lo, the instability appeared. 2.0 still works perfectly, so use that. Based on CTMOUSE's changelog, the change between 2.0 and 2.1 that likely breaks the game is:
Code: Select all
4. replaced hardware PS/2 by BIOS PS/2 handling again for better compatibility, based on public domain source fragment by Konstantin Koll
5. removed PS/2 IRQ handler by BIOS callback handler. Wheel data protocol processing again based on code from Konstantin Koll.
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby keropi » 2015-8-21 @ 19:56

I am happy to report that the problem was indeed CTMOUSE 2.1b4 that I was using. Switching to 2.0a4 fixed the freeze issue :)
Thanks for the help NRS! I'm gonna check the MI ultimate talkies now :D

ps. in my setup CTMOUSE 1.91 also causes a freeze like 2.1b4 so it seems that only 2.0a4 is safe

edit: wow, Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie versions are now fine too! :blush:
keropi
l33t++

Next

Return to DOS