VOGONS

First post, by StrikerMan780

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to let VOGONS know that your copy of the S3 S3D Toolkit (S3 ViRGE) was a lifesaver!

I'm currently working on a modern port of Terminal Velocity, Fury3, and Hellbender. (Yes, I have the source code now.)

Hellbender included the sources to the S3 Virge renderer for Terminal Velocity, and I'm working on transferring everything to OpenGL. It's surprising how close the syntax of this is to GL.

Reply 1 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
StrikerMan780 wrote:

I want to let VOGONS know that your copy of the S3 S3D Toolkit (S3 ViRGE) was a lifesaver!

I'm currently working on a modern port of Terminal Velocity, Fury3, and Hellbender. (Yes, I have the source code now.)

Hellbender included the sources to the S3 Virge renderer for Terminal Velocity, and I'm working on transferring everything to OpenGL. It's surprising how close the syntax of this is to GL.

That's awesome!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After your modern source ports are done, an S3D Toolkit wrapper for the other closed-source games might be cool, if possible 😉

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 43, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your project looks amazing. I'm sure a lot of people here would be excited by it. You should start a thread dedicated to its progress 😀

386DX40, Amiga 600, Pentium 75, Celeron 300A, Pentium III-S 1.4, Athlon XP2400+, Pentium 4 I do not care for, Pentium M 780, Core 2 Q6600, i7 3770K

Reply 7 of 43, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!
Please please please keep up the work! An OpenGL-rendered Terminal Velocity would be the best possible gift for Christmas!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 8 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BX300A wrote:

Your project looks amazing. I'm sure a lot of people here would be excited by it. You should start a thread dedicated to its progress 😀

Split the topic. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 43, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sammy wrote:

A 3dfx patch for terminal velocity??

Sounds great !!!

Uh, no, it's going to be OpenGL and accordingly available on any graphics card that supports OpenGL (OpenGL 3.3?), not just 3dfx cards. You misunderstand.

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 43, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

but it will work on 3dfx cards?

I suppose that depends on which OpenGL version is actually targeted. Stiletto guessed OpenGL 3.3. Original 3dfx drivers supported OpenGL 1.1. With MesaFX you can get OpenGL 1.3.

Kudos to StrikerMan780 for your great work! I loved Terminal Velocity and I got a Virge card (actually several) mainly for that game.

Reply 18 of 43, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

StrikerMan780 happens to be a person with a lot of issues (putting mildly), both physical and mental, so don't count on anything solid in a long time or perhaps ever (it's not a critic, everyone has issues, I'm simply telling you how things are); besides the right holders seems to think they have a high value, licensable engine, so open source is not gonna happen.

Reply 19 of 43, by StrikerMan780

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm still working on this. I've been making progress with getting all of the input migrated over to SDL2 and whatnot. Joystick control is already ported over, and now I'm getting keyboard/mouse handling implemented.

This will require OpenGL 3.0, to answer everyone's question about that. This is because trying to support anything older with the planned features (such as shadows and replicating the software renderer's bright texture pixels for things like lights) would be a nightmare. The software renderer was gutted out because it's a nearly indecipherable mess of assembly. (There's C versions of most rendering functions, but not all, especially in Hellbender's case.)

In short, I'm working on it, it'll eventually be ready. When? Not sure. There's still a lot to do. The UI needs to be finished (since I'll be using an improved version of TV's old UI, rather than Fury3/Hellbender's MFC UI, which still needs to be gutted for portability reasons), I need to finish writing the new sound system, fix the many assorted bugs the thing has right now, and fix TV/Fury3 support. (Porting Hellbender broke the other two games since they are vastly different. I'll get it to a point where all 3 games can be run in the same executable, but first release may be hellbender-only.)

And yeah, I know I have mental / personal / health issues to deal with, I'm trying to get through it though.