VOGONS

Reply 60 of 192, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
SRQ wrote:

So yes then? I have gotten it to work under real mode- I just have to boot with a 66 FSB.
I have an AWE64 too, but the Audigy 2 is on the PCI/AGP based PIII I use most of the time.

Not for MIDI output in running in MS-DOS, the Audigy will use it's onboard synth.

Aw, well at least I'll be able to use it with the AWE64.
Too bad though, half the reason I wanted this was to sidestep the poor real mode MIDI from the Audigy 2.

Reply 61 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Testing Munt with a Pi 2 (OC to 1.1ghz), I have satisfactory results playing the Kyrandia soundtrack, but Loom is problematic. I'm currently running the 1.5.0 release, so I'm going to try Trunk before making final conclusions.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 62 of 192, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beware that one of the issues with the Pi/Pi2 is that its sound output is not very good. From the top of my head I think it is a 10-bit DAC. I'd recommend an USB sound card.

Reply 63 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Understood re: audio quality. At the moment, I'm primarily concerned with testing the CPU for real time LA synth emulation with Munt.

Using Munt trunk version, GCC 4.9, flags to enable Neon as per the ARM website, and an overclock to 1.1ghz, I'm unable to play the soundtrack from Loom without dropping notes.

Reply 64 of 192, by brotalnia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought the cheap midi to usb adapter and i got everything working, but there's a problem. It only works if i turn off the level 1 cpu cache, otherwise it just hangs before it even makes a sound and the blue light on the adapter remains on until i unplug it. Any ideas why this is happening?

Reply 65 of 192, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's very nice, Phil. 😀 I'm thinking about building my own using either Thin Mini-ITX or NUC. I was still concerned about lagging and stuttering though, albeit only happens with large sound fonts --something like Crysis GM or Bellatrix Orchestra.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 66 of 192, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed an X-fi Extreme Gamer in my dual Pentium III 800E @ 672MHz rig today to try out it's soundfont/soundbank capabilities and I also had to try out Munt. Looks like it works very well, so it's no need for a very high performing rig when running Munt on x86 and Windows XP. 😀

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 67 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was messing around with other stuff on my RPi 2 and found that the input supply was undervolting. I didn't realize that the processor downclocks in that situation.

So, I plugged it in with a beefier uUSB supply, fired up my build of Munt compiled with the recommended Cortex A7 optimizations, and did some testing. The upshot is, Loom music now plays perfectly with approximately 60% CPU utilization on one of the cores. so I think we're in business.

I'm going to listen to some LA synth Sierra classics to celebrate.

Reply 68 of 192, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

I was messing around with other stuff on my RPi 2 and found that the input supply was undervolting. I didn't realize that the processor downclocks in that situation.

So, I plugged it in with a beefier uUSB supply, fired up my build of Munt compiled with the recommended Cortex A7 optimizations, and did some testing. The upshot is, Loom music now plays perfectly with approximately 60% CPU utilization on one of the cores. so I think we're in business.

I'm going to listen to some LA synth Sierra classics to celebrate.

That is excellent news!

Could you maybe do a brief dot point list of what needs to be done to get this going? Like for a total noob when it comes to RPi2?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 69 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's my build process. I hope I didn't leave anything out. Sometimes the old skull noodle isn't as reliable as it used to be... 😵
Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Reply 70 of 192, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pi 3 is out, this could benefit this project maybe?

I wish I knew more about the Linux side of things and how to configure it all 😀

Maybe someone could create a SD image that's ready to go?

Reply 71 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the Pi 3 could certainly do more if you require it. My testing indicates the Pi 2 should be fine, so hopefully Pi 3 will drive the cost of the Pi 2 down a little.

I can definitely create an image for folks if you like.

Edit: I'm not sure if I'd be causing trouble by posting an image with the MT-32 ROM files included.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2016-03-03, 11:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 72 of 192, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd leave it out, but communicate where the ROMS need to be placed? That solves you from getting into trouble 😀

I think I'll get myself a Pi 3. I'd love to do a video about this project.

Reply 73 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I'd leave it out, but communicate where the ROMS need to be placed? That solves you from getting into trouble 😀

I think I'll get myself a Pi 3. I'd love to do a video about this project.

That's what I was thinking as far as the image. Regarding the Pi 3, just be aware that you need a substantially stiffer 5V supply as the new CPU draws a fair bit more current. It's a trade off, y'know.

Reply 74 of 192, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Pi 2 has a stock clock of 900MHz. The core architecture is Cortex-A7 with 1.9 DMIPS/MHz per core
The Pi 3 has a stock clock of 1200MHz. The core architecture is Cortex-A53 with 2.3 DMIPS/MHz per core
So the Pi3 is ~21% faster @ the same clock speed. This should be enough for MUNT, or not?

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 76 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just imaged, sanitized, and compressed the SD card from my Pi. I've still got lots to do in terms of hardware configuration (and purchasing), but I've prepped it as a working base for those who want to mess around with GM or LA emulation on Linux. It includes an optimized build of Munt as well as preset sound fonts from the forum for approximating Roland, Yamaha, or AWE synthesis.

Even compressed, it's a large file. I could just host it on my Google drive, but that seems kind of lame, not to mention inconvenient for people that want to find it. Where will the best place to host it be? Anybody have any ideas?

Edit: Uploading to GDrive now. Nine more hours to go.

Edit: Done

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2016-03-06, 21:22. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 78 of 192, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For people that wanna find it - Just link it here and write the description on the same POST. Google search seems fairly good at finding stuff from these forums.

Reply 79 of 192, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cleaned, pressed, and laundered.

Download here: pi2.7z. Uncompress the image and write directly to SD using DD, Win32 Disk Imager, or similar. Requires 8 GB SD Card (or better).

All accounts (including root) have blank passwords. DHCP and SSH are enabled.

Please provide MT-32 and/or CM-32L ROMS to use Munt. Copy the files into the ALSA utilities directory of the Munt source tree, then run install.

cd /home/user/munt-master/mt32emu_alsadrv/roms
## Get the ROM files ##
cd ..
sudo make install

ROM files will be copied to /usr/share/mt32-rom-data/. Deemster's soundfonts (see thread) for emulating Roland SC-55, Yamaha DX50XG, and AWE64 are also included in /usr/share/sounds/sf2. Timidity currently defaults to Roland. Your choice of font may be selected from the GUI when running Fluidsynth via qsynth.

Note: The image is currently set to draw Debian packages from the Canadian mirror set. Please edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list and update the package index if you wish to localize.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2023-05-07, 01:19. Edited 3 times in total.