VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 39, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lucky7456969 wrote:

Could anyone recommend some pc games for girls?
- 7 years old.
PC games.

leileilol wrote:

american mcgee's alice

🤣 🤣 🤣

Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat, Postal, Kingpin: Life of Crime, Soldier of Fortune, Super Columbine Massacre, Manhunt. 😁

Seriously, any non-violent games will do, and I couldn't believe nobody has mentioned Tetris.

Attachments

• Tetris DOS.gif
    Filename
    Tetris DOS.gif
    File size
    20.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 23 of 39, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Legend of Kyrandia, you might want to introduce the second one (Hand of Fate) first maybe, as it features a girl heroine/protagonist. It's classic and timeless, better than most modern games out there. Make sure you use the MT-32 music too!

Enhanced editions of Monkey Island 1 & 2 are also a great introduction.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 25 of 39, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 6 year old Loves these games

Monster Truck Madness 1 and 2
Midtown Madness 2
Flight Simulator 98 (her favorite thing to do is to crash into tall buildings, I hope she grows out of that)

Reply 26 of 39, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ooh, Combat Flight Simulator! 1,2, or 3... perfect for little kids. Set her up on a PIII with a Voodoo3, CFS2, and a nice flightstick, she'll be happy as a clam 🤣

edit:

candle_86 wrote:

(her favorite thing to do is to crash into tall buildings, I hope she grows out of that)

Whatcha mean? That's still my favorite thing to do 😈 another edit: love your new avatar 😎

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 27 of 39, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Sims (I recall the first one being pretty clean, at least prior to expansions. As time went by the series got more "edgy" for the teenage crowd though.)

Minecraft - put them in "peaceful" or even "creative" mode if necessary. Kids can get trapped in menus or the "talk" interface sometimes, this game really needs a "child mode" to prevent that, but once they learn how to handle the interface they love this game. Very forgiving of graphics cards but needs a fast CPU to handle terrain generation. A P4 HT can run it decently *after* 15-30mins of choppiness while the surrounding area gets created. A Core2 is much better.

My niece used to have some edutainment game that I think was Barbie themed but I'm not sure. I don't know the name, but it was the kind of game where she could freely wander around some castle doing activities like dress-up and dancing and whatever else. From what I've seen with the kids in my family, I'm of the opinion that girls really like open ended "activity" games like that without fixed objectives or "winning" and "losing".
I've seen so many girl-themed games that are designed like boy games, with stages and forced objectives and lives and all that stuff, it makes me wonder if the developers are clueless or I am.

Try a driving game and see if she likes them. Something where it's easy to stay on the track and not end up stuck against a wall. Kids won't be competitive in these games but they can drive around. It needs to not stop the race just because the AI has finished.

I remember my oldest nephew used to play NASCAR with invincibility and cause crashes over and over. I think that's a boy thing though. And candle's daughter.

Reply 28 of 39, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check out some of the games at Big Fish
http://www.bigfishgames.com/pc-games/
Most of their games have demos you can download to see if she likes them.

This is a free online game that my brother liked -- cute and colorful
https://www.wizard101.com/

Reply 29 of 39, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys, a 7 year old isn't going to care if she's playing "vintage" games on "period correct" hardware. She's going to wanna play what her friends are playing, with nice colorful graphics and great sound & music. That said, Minecraft is a fantastic suggestion - I would have gone ape shit for it if I'd had it at that age! (I had legos ... so many legos.)

(Have you bought her a huge pile of legos yet? Can you still get the cheap off-brand "compatible" ones that come in the big tube or toolbox-style case with no particular instructions? If you can, do it!)

Also, I can't BELIEVE no one's suggested this yet - Pokemon Go!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 30 of 39, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And do you really think she's going to need us to tell her about those popular games? As you said. my nephews & nieces would already know them from their friends...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 32 of 39, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

7-year-olds don't care about internet pedantry or platform wars. Actually neither do I.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 33 of 39, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or you could simply use Bluestack. But that's beside the point.

So we can start recommending iPhone and Android games now? Monument Valley! And btw, consoles are personal computing devices too, right?

Or did OP mean "politically correct" games perhaps?! 😜

Seriously, don't discount GOG just yet, in addition to Steam. The old classics (or remakes) are pretty much ready to go on modern systems. Nice colorful graphics? You bet. Great music? Of course!

Reply 34 of 39, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Rayman remake, perhaps? Everyone loves platformers. Definitely Minecraft.

Steamworld Dig (originally on 3DS, should also be great on PC).

Almost all of the Lego games - they rule. Lego Batman is superb, and the Lego Starwars games are well thought of.

I'd perhaps recommend Long Live The Queen - but it's a bit dark in parts, do not be fooled by the cute setting. There's no sex in it, but there's a lot of death and marriage. Play it yourself first and see what you think. Everyone should give it a go, superb game.

Day of the Tentacle is awesome, probably alright for a seven year old.

Reply 37 of 39, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I know this thread is old, but I know of a few not-so-popular adventure games which might be fun..
I played most of them in the last decade, so they may also run on your "retro" boxes with Win98SE and XP.
Have fun! 😀

The Breakdown - A Snack-Sized Adventure Game
Original page is defunct, here's the archived page.
Review
Download v0.99
You're a hac.. a computer freak whos has won the lottery. Too bad your car has a breakdown in the middle of nowhere.

the-breakdown-a-snack-sized-adventure-game.jpg

Out of Order
Original page is defunct, here's the archived page.
Wikipedia
Review and Download
A game I would have gladly paid for.

98355968.jpg

My little investigations
http://www.equestriandreamers.com/
Article at adventuregamers.com
Review
Yeah, I know what you think now. But this game isn't as bad as you may think.
In fact, for an adventure game it is quite well made. And to my defence, it fits the topic.

?ACT=49&fid=43&d=26487&f=investigations_6__large.jpg

The White Chamber
http://www.studiotrophis.com/site/projects/thewhitechamber
Review
Anime-style horror sci-fi adventure, not for little kids. I had to add it as a contrast to the previous game. 😉
?ACT=49&fid=43&d=17871&f=3069__large.jpg

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 38 of 39, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty much any Maxis game, namely SimCity and The Sims for certain, Rayman 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen, Hocus Pocus, Lemmings, Myst, most of the LucasArts adventure games, King's Quest series (Mask of Eternity does not exist), and Acid Tetris JUST for the music alone, since it is full of wonder and euphoria.

Reply 39 of 39, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

May I also suggest 'Jolly Rover', a colorful, animated and very streamlined piraty adventure game with a great story and great voice acting. Similar to Monkey Island, but with anthropomorphic animals.