VOGONS

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

So SIL support site went to crap since that last time I had a sil card. no support for older stuff 🙁

Anyway, anyone know were I can get a copy of the ide firmware for sata card using the SIL3114 chipset? and the newest drivers for 2k/xp? My drivers are from 2009, cant recall 100% but I think there was one from 2010.

Thankyou

Reply 1 of 31, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Downloaded everything useful I could find on Silicon Image's SiI3114 support site in january this year. Zipped and upped them here for you.

I believe SiI3114_5500.zip is the latest non-RAID/IDE BIOS. If I remember it right I used the DOS flash utility, UpdFlash_v336.zip, to flash it.

Got no idea about the rest of the files, but considering when I downloaded them, and the fact that I downloaded everything that seemed useful on the site, the driver you're looking for should be among them. The 1.5.20.3's looks like the newest ones to me, but you might want to investigate it further. Perhaps you could find a cached copy of the support site as of January 2016 on archive.org, to use as a reference?

Reply 6 of 31, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Can you please upload that some place were I don't need to pay to download it? I hit free but then it tells me I have to pay

Here you go, hope that works better!

candle_86 wrote:

can you flash the raid card to the non raid IDE?

Yep, you can. There's even an official IDE BIOS, no hacks or third party files needed.

luckybob wrote:

@ kaputnik

Use google drive. https://www.google.com/drive/

so very convenient.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer to not have to sign up to upload 😀

Reply 8 of 31, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried contacting them? Lately I ran into a few situations with drivers pulled from sites. But when you contact support they send you a link.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 31, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

can you reupload?

Sure thing, here you go 😀

Perhaps someone with an account on Vogons drivers library could upload it there by the way?

Reply 10 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

can you reupload?

Perhaps someone with an account on Vogons drivers library could upload it there by the way?

Will see what I can do.

Getting an account on VogonsDrivers is not hard, BTW. PM SquallStrife.

FYI, sites like Zippyshare are TERRIBLE and attempt to give users tons of pop-up ads (and associated adware) if you're not properly shielded. You should really avoid both the services you uploaded to in this thread and instead try something like Mega or Mediafire (or others).

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 31, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
Will see what I can do. […]
Show full quote
kaputnik wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

can you reupload?

Will see what I can do.

Getting an account on VogonsDrivers is not hard, BTW. PM SquallStrife.

FYI, sites like Zippyshare are TERRIBLE and attempt to give users tons of pop-up ads (and associated adware) if you're not properly shielded. You should really avoid both the services you uploaded to in this thread and instead try something like Mega or Mediafire (or others).

Ah, thanks!

Might be a bit silly about it, but trying to keep the amount of account registrations to an absolute minimum. Once one of those sites are hacked, your mail address infallibly ends up in the hands of Nigeria spammers and their likes. Sure, I'm using a separate address for registrations, but I'd still have to handle their crap to some extent, spam filters aren't perfect. That policy has served me well so far.

If you happen to know of some uploading services that doesn't require registration, and does less or none of that pop-up crap, I'm all ears though 😀

Reply 13 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, uploaded to VOGONSDrivers.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1015

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 31, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this post on Sil3114 when trying to get things working on a P3B-F based machine I've been working on. I'm running DOS 6.22 & Windows 98 (and Debian but that's not a primary use case.) I wanted to throw an old 1TB SATA drive into the machine for use with Windows 98 and had an old Sil3114 card sitting here. The card had the default RAID BIOS on it & since it was not straightforward to get things working I thought I'd post a quick HOWTO here.

1. You know your Sil3114 SATA card has the RAID BIOS if it gives an option at bootup time to enter a RAID utility via a Function key. (I forget which key.)
2. If you want the SATA card to be usable by DOS and Windows 9x, you need to flash it with the "base" BIOS.
3. On vogonsdrivers.com there is a driver package called "Silicon Image SiI3114 file collection" which contains the file "BIO-003114-x10_5403.zip". Unzip it. The file you need is called b5403.bin.
4. To flash b5403.bin onto the Sil3114 card you need to boot into DOS mode (either reboot Win9x into DOS mode or use a DOS boot floppy) then run the UPDFLASH.EXE utility found in the file (again, in the "Silicon Image Sil3114 file collection") "UpdFlash_v336.zip". Run the utility as follows:
A:> UPDFLASH.EXE B5403.BIN
5. If the utility complains about the flash being the same version as that found on your device, that's ok, continue anyway.
6. Reboot. After reboot, you should no longer see an option to enter the RAID utility for the card.
7. Plug in big SATA drives.
8. Partition the drives. (Don't use Win9x or DOS FDISK.) I used Linux (Debian) fdisk to create a FAT32 Win9x (LBA) partition which I then formatted using the mkfs.msdos utility. Keep your FAT32 partitions under 2TB in size.
9. Reboot into Win9x / DOS7+ & enjoy.

Reply 15 of 31, by thehoj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zolli wrote:

I found this post on Sil3114 when trying to get things working on a P3B-F based machine I've been working on. I'm running DOS 6.22 & Windows 98 (and Debian but that's not a primary use case.) I wanted to throw an old 1TB SATA drive into the machine for use with Windows 98 and had an old Sil3114 card sitting here. The card had the default RAID BIOS on it & since it was not straightforward to get things working I thought I'd post a quick HOWTO here.

Thank you so much for this write-up! I have a P3B-F system that I've been monkeying with to try and get a 120G sata drive working with, using a Startech PATA2SATA converter, but it keeps having corrupt data issues.
I just ordered a Syba Sil3114 card, and will be trying these steps out once it arrives.

EDIT: Got the card, and I ran into a bit of an issue which I've resolved now. I just thought I'd mention that I was unable to flash the bios with that b5403.bin file. It just failed every time I tried to do it.
In the end, I just moved the card to a different PCI slot and it started working. It didn't look like there were any IRQ conflicts when the system booted up, but nonetheless, the card flashed totally fine after moving to a different PCI slot.
After flashing bios, I was able to partition and format a 120G SSD attached to SATA port 1, install Windows 98SE and boot from the drive just fine.

Last edited by thehoj on 2019-03-05, 04:15. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 16 of 31, by SteveSi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Creating a JBOD Configuration
The BIOS RAID utility does not report non-RAID drives to the system BIOS.
If a non-RAID boot drive or data drive is desired, create a JBOD so the BIOS RAID utility will report the drive to the system BIOS.

1. Select 'Create RAID set' from the Main Menu section of the RAID Configuration Utility screen.
2. Select 'JBOD' and press Enter.
3. Select 'JBOD drive' from the Physical Drive list and press Enter.
4. Select the size of the JBOD drive with the ↑ and ↓ keys and press Enter.
5. When the 'Are You Sure?' confirmation prompt appears, respond 'Y' to complete the JBOD configuration.

The hard disk should now be listed in the BIOS menu as a 'JBOD' device.

So it is really very intuitive (not!).
1. By default it does not add SATA disks to the BIOS
2. You must use the RAID firmware to add a non-RAID disk (or change the firmware to the 'IDE' version to add SATA non-RAID disks automatically)
3. You must click on 'Create RAID' to add a non-RAID disk
4. You must choose 'JBOD' (=Just a Bunch of Disks) when you want to add a single disk
5. You choose the 'JBOD' device as listed in the BIOS because it is a single plain disk
They really could not make it more difficult to understand if they tried! 😲

Reply 17 of 31, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow. That is twisted. I laughed as I read this.

Clearly the setup was designed by an engineer. (I used to be an engineer so I say that tongue in cheek.)

Cheers!

Reply 18 of 31, by zolli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thehoj wrote:
Thank you so much for this write-up! I have a P3B-F system that I've been monkeying with to try and get a 120G sata drive workin […]
Show full quote

Thank you so much for this write-up! I have a P3B-F system that I've been monkeying with to try and get a 120G sata drive working with, using a Startech PATA2SATA converter, but it keeps having corrupt data issues.
I just ordered a Syba Sil3114 card, and will be trying these steps out once it arrives.

EDIT: Got the card, and I ran into a bit of an issue which I've resolved now. I just thought I'd mention that I was unable to flash the bios with that b5403.bin file. It just failed every time I tried to do it.
In the end, I just moved the card to a different PCI slot and it started working. It didn't look like there were any IRQ conflicts when the system booted up, but nonetheless, the card flashed totally fine after moving to a different PCI slot.
After flashing bios, I was able to partition and format a 120G SSD attached to SATA port 1, install Windows 98SE and boot from the drive just fine.

I'm glad you found it useful. I was surprised to find someone else had to go through this so soon after I did.

The PCI slot issue is quite odd but I'm not surprised. I'm in the middle of debugging why my packet driver for a PCI Ethernet card is not working on the P3B-F after working fine on a P3V4X. Perhaps there are some P3B-F PCI nuances.

Reply 19 of 31, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The RocketRAID 1740 is similar. You must create a single-disk JBOD for the drive to be accessible by the system. (At least this is true for blank disks. A 'legacy' disk with an existing file system will be recognized without being in a JBOD.)

Is this too much voodoo?