VOGONS

Games that show 16 colors ONLY in Tandy / PCjr mode?

Topic actions

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to build a list of games that show 16 colors, but only in Tandy / PCjr machines.

So far I've got:

Arcticfox (Tandy only)
Boulder Dash I & II
Congo Bongo (PCjr)
Crossfire (PCjr cart)
Darwin's Arena (Tandy only)
Demon Attack (PCjr cart)
Falcon (Tandy version on separate disk)
Ghostbusters
Jumpman (PCjr)
King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (Had separate CGA, PCjr and Tandy releases)
King's Quest II: Romancing the Throne (v1.1H has PCjr and Tandy support)
Marble Madness
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2.0+ (PCjr)
Microsurgeon (PCjr cart)
Mine Shaft
Montezuma's Revenge (PCjr only)
Mouser (PCjr cart)
Murder on the Zinderneuf (PCjr)
Ninja
Oil's Well (PCjr)
One-on-One (PCjr / Tandy)
Piece of Cake (PCjr)
Pitfall II (PCjr cart)
River Raid (PCjr cart)
ScubaVenture (PCjr cart)
Seven Cities of Gold (PCjr / Tandy)
Shanghai
Soko-Ban (Thinking Rabbit, 1982) (PCjr / Tandy)
Star Rank Boxing II
Super Boulder Dash
Superbowl Sunday (PCjr)
Touchdown Football (Separate PCjr and Tandy versions)
Transylvania I - II (PCjr only)
Webster: The Word Game (PCjr / Tandy)
World's Greatest Baseball Game (PCjr)

Are there any others?

Last edited by Neville on 2023-12-20, 16:07. Edited 15 times in total.

Reply 1 of 112, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can find quite a few if you browse MobyGames, but it depends - does composite CGA 'count' as 16-color?
Marble Madness shows 4 colors, it just messes with the palette. Not a rare trick with Tandy/PCjr games, less common with EGA.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 112, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've taken a look at MobyGames... it does and it does not help. Its list of games that support Tandy is probably the most complete I've seen yet, but they don't have a separate list of games where Tandy / PCjr is the best resolution available, which is what I'm really after. As for CGA Composite... I think I'll include it for now. Later I can always trim the list even more.

Reply 4 of 112, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
coolhaken wrote:
I know some games : […]
Show full quote

I know some games :

Shanghai
Montezuma's Revenge
Boulder Dash I & II

Couldn't confirm these... either my copies are different or DOSBox doesn't run the Tandy modes yet. I think this is the case with both Boulder Dash games.

EDIT: Confirmed "Shanghai" and "Boulder Dash I-II" through MobyGames. Thanks for your help.

Reply 5 of 112, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
coolhaken wrote:

Montezuma's Revenge

Hmm? I was aware that this game checks for PCjr (at least some versions do), but IIRC only for keyboard handling, not for doing anything special with the colors. That'd be quite a curious find if it were true.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 112, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VileRancour wrote:

Hmm? I was aware that this game checks for PCjr (at least some versions do), but IIRC only for keyboard handling, not for doing anything special with the colors. That'd be quite a curious find if it were true.

The screen shot :

shot00.png
Filename
shot00.png
File size
758 Bytes
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
shot01.png
Filename
shot01.png
File size
1.58 KiB
Views
File license

Hex view of track 0 :

Filename
shot02.png
File size
3.68 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license

Reply 12 of 112, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very rare game carts for the PCjr that are 16 color:

River Raid from Activision
Pitfall II from Activision (one of the best versions of this game)
Demon Attack from Imagic (outstanding version of this game)
Microsurgeon from Imagic

All are almost impossible to find physically and I only know of one obscure FTP site that has these PCjr images that work in DOSBox.

Reply 13 of 112, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a good online resource on the game cartridges and other info for the PCjr which were all 16 color graphics:

http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_options.html … ll_II_and_Demon

Last edited by liqmat on 2016-11-19, 00:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14 of 112, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In addition to the PCjr game cartridges, many of Sierra's early AGI games were. King's Quest I, for example, was created at the behest of IBM specifically to show off the PCjr's sound and graphics. The original release is literally only usable on the PCjr. King's Quest II was similarly a "show off" game for the Tandy computers! It will run on other (CGA) systems, though. Personally, I think King's Quest II looks better on CGA-composite than on PCjr graphics. (I have the original IBM-branded King's Quest in original box; and the original Tandy-branded King's Quest II. Although the Tandy branding is only a sticker on top of an otherwise-Sierra branded box. Which is funny, because the Tandy sticker says "Custom manufactured in U.S.A. for Radio Shack." Yet that sticker is the only thing about the packaging that is custom...)

Reply 16 of 112, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In addition of the titles liqmat and Anonymous Freak mention, I've just learned of "Darwin's Arena", a shareware title with built-in Tandy 1000 support:

8yanj7u.png

5VxHI9m.png

EDIT: Also added more PCjr titles, took the information from Nerdy Pleasures.

Reply 17 of 112, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And if you were curious, I took photos of my PC/CGA and PCjr showing how King's Quest compares:

http://imgur.com/a/YvBpO

What's funny is that back in the day (mid '80s) when I first had a CGA computer, I didn't know that composite mode existed. I knew my computer had a composite port, and that my monitor had a composite port, but I never knew that CGA had a more-colors composite mode. I never plugged the computer in to the composite input on the display, I always used the digital DE-9 port. I used the composite input on the display for my NES.

Reply 18 of 112, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's very cool! Didn't thought CGA Composite modes could be better than PCjr / Tandy in some games. I always assumed the PCjr / Tandy versions to be better because of the superior hardware.

Reply 19 of 112, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Freak wrote:

What's funny is that back in the day (mid '80s) when I first had a CGA computer, I didn't know that composite mode existed.

Nor did I until I got this ICON demo on a BBS way back in the day on my shiny new ITT XTRA PC. Luckily this guy posted it on Youtube as I had forgotten about it completely.

https://youtu.be/EABHIv0K56M

Last edited by liqmat on 2016-11-18, 18:24. Edited 1 time in total.