VOGONS

First post, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some ISA video cards have a slot connector on top?
For example the Trident 8900c in the attached picture.
What fit onto that top slot connector?

8900c.png
Filename
8900c.png
File size
944.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:

Other cards. I have a MPEG decoder card that uses that connector.

Interesting. Do you have a photo of it with specs? How well does the MPEG decoder work on an ISA Trident?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 21, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Photo from mine collection - with universal cable - unused connector is for these old type of cards....
alg2301bwgfcreative.jpg

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 6 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is really too bad these MPEG cards weren't more widespread. I will probably never own any unless I make a concerted effort to look through the years.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 21, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:

Other cards. I have a MPEG decoder card that uses that connector.

Interesting. Do you have a photo of it with specs? How well does the MPEG decoder work on an ISA Trident?

I need to grab it from storage. It is a Commodore card. Let me see if I have a picture around.

Reply 8 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are called "VGA feature connector" and supposed to be utilized by MPEG decoders, TV, and video capture cards. They came in two varieties:

FEATCON.GIF

It was not only for ISA though, most of the PCI display cards that I've seen also had that connector.

I only owned one card that utilizes this connector in my entire life, which was a Creative MPEG decoder. I was a free grab from a recycler. I never able to make it work though.

CPCI0268.jpg

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 21, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

These are called "VGA feature connector" and supposed to be utilized by MPEG decoders, TV, and video capture cards. They came in two varieties:

VESA Feature Connector 😉

tayyare wrote:

It was not only for ISA though, most of the PCI display cards that I've seen also had that connector.
I only owned one card that utilizes this connector in my entire life, which was a Creative MPEG decoder. I was a free grab from a recycler. I never able to make it work though.

Yes they were on PCI cards for quite a while (Voodoo3 has a working one, and even the Voodoo5 has one). However, even with the connector present, they didn't always actually work on all cards.

The only thing that I ever found requiring it is the Forte VFX1. It requires VESA conector on your gfx card so the VIP hooks straight into it and is the only way to display visual output to the HMD. When I first got my VFX1 (in 1999) I was gutted since my ATi Rage128Pro did not have a VESA feature connector, and I had to get a Matrox Millenium (quite a downgrade at the time), and a PC with ISA slots. Old stuff, even back then 😵

Reply 10 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:

VESA Feature Connector 😉

Actually I knew it as "feature connector" only, but the web site that I found the picture to share from, misdirected me 😊 :

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/VG … ature+connector

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 11 of 21, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

VESA Feature Connector 😉

Actually I knew it as "feature connector" only, but the web site that I found the picture to share from, misdirected me 😊 :

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/VG … ature+connector

'feature connector' yes your right, I've always known it as a VESA feature connector, but other sources (including wiki) seem to think just 'Feature Connector', however there is also an 80pin feature connector called 'VESA Advanced Feature Connector', so a distinction between 'VESA advanced feature connector' and just 'feature connector' is in order me thinks. 😀

I wonder what the 80pin advanced feature connector is used for?

Reply 13 of 21, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

Support for higher speeds, wider data buses and multiple devices.

Any idea which devices?

Reply 14 of 21, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:
Jepael wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

Any idea which devices?

You can see the video daughterboard connected to the Advanced Feature Connector on this VLB graphics card, and alongside it is the unconnected normal Feature Connector:

DSC_0315.JPG
Filename
DSC_0315.JPG
File size
3.27 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In addition, the daughterboard itself has added a bunch of other connectors, which I have no idea what purpose they serve...

Reply 15 of 21, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:
Jepael wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

Any idea which devices?

No, but try searching here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_connector

Reply 16 of 21, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

It is really too bad these MPEG cards weren't more widespread. I will probably never own any unless I make a concerted effort to look through the years.

I thought that noone is interested in these. Found some in previous years, but noone interested, so i donated them to fellow collector Palcal. He's not brave enought to throw them away. I've made even category for these onsite... http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/itemlis … abbers-decoders

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 17 of 21, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote:

Yes, I mentioned in my first post in this thread, that the VFX1 is the only thing (ime) that requires the feature connector, I was wondering more specifically about the Vesa Advanced Feature Connector (the 80 pin one, not the 26 pin one).

Although given the timeline and the introduction of AGP, I suspect these 'VESA Advanced feature connectors' became redundant and I wonder if anything required the 80 pin connection. There is one on a Voodoo5 though so 3dfx obviously saw some merit in it ???

Reply 19 of 21, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Early capture cards like the VideBlaster or Matrox IP8/AT use the VFC, later DVD decoder cards use often the VAFC.
Also companies like ATi introduced their own version called ATi Multimedia Channel (AMC) for e.g. the ATi TV Wonder Pro.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool