VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2900 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shing wrote:

Is there a way to help you debugging Dege? Any games worth checking? Many games has that old-school fading fog effect and in my experience most of them are bugged with dgVoodoo. Tomb Raider 4-5 has a nice volumetric fog effect and it works perfectly in every situation.

Could you list some of them, plz?
So far I can see problems only with D3D3, it may handle choosing between w-fog and z-fog in a little different way than later versions. According to my own tests dgVoodoo works in compliance with DX>=5 as for fogging (with TR4/5 as well).
For example, if I experimentally force w-fog for Shadows of The Empire, then fog appears as it should. But that's an execute-buffer world.

Jonny5isalivetm wrote:
Greetings […]
Show full quote

Greetings

Hello Dege

Firstly thanks for making dgVoodoo! 😀

On a fresh install on Windows 8.1 x64 I encounter an error while trying to play motorhead racing game..

It gives me a error about a missing file:- api-ms-win-core-crt-l2-1-0.dll even tho the file is present ever come across this ?

Cheers
Jonny

Hi,

It's strange. Does this error message come without dgVoodoo?
By its name it must be an internal Windows dll, dgVoodoo doesn't need it directly.

Reply 2901 of 3949, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attempting to play the GOG.com version of Parkan: The Imperial Chronicles using dgVoodoo2 WIP28 results in audio-only video and the game crashing with the following error:

DDrawClipper GetClipList:Region passed to Clipper::GetClipList is too small.

The game, as far as I can tell, uses DX7 or lower. This is with default settings for dgVoodoo2.

Reply 2902 of 3949, by VicRattlehead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MechCommander Gold works with dgVoodoo2, but it's necessary to have Capture Mouse enabled otherwise the game will crash after the intro. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the forced resolution does anything for the game, maybe because it's mostly (or all?) 2D. However, using dgVoodoo2 does resolve the low framerate problem that certain games have on Windows 8.

I noticed that the menus often have some minor flickering artifacts though. They generally appear on the map in the briefing/deployment menu. In the title menu, if I go to the preferences menu then back to the title menu then the whole menu will start flickering.

Reply 2903 of 3949, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teleguy wrote:
It doesn't have to show up in the recent apps list, you can get the id from the exe itself. […]
Show full quote
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Baku a colour hack would be fine I think, it's ancient! I found this site, but I can't get Baku to appear in the most recent apps list in the Registry: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/927140-win … mment-593322376

It doesn't have to show up in the recent apps list, you can get the id from the exe itself.

game-id.jpg

This tool does it automatically:
http://www.bitpatch.com/downloads/ddraw_color_fixer.zip

I tried that color fixer, it made no difference. As I have to run the game with dgVoodoo and in 256 color mode (compatibility tab), something might be overriding it?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2906 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Destroy wrote:
Dege, […]
Show full quote

Dege,

Is MechWarrior 2 3dfx suppose to work with dgVoodoo2 in win10? Mech2 behaves like glide.dll is not detected or found by the Mech2 program.
Are you able to test Mech 2 please?

Thanks for any help.

Well,
I must test it. It should work, but... I don't know. 😀

Reply 2907 of 3949, by CoolGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote
Jonny5isalivetm wrote:
Greetings […]
Show full quote

Greetings

Hello Dege

Firstly thanks for making dgVoodoo! 😀

On a fresh install on Windows 8.1 x64 I encounter an error while trying to play motorhead racing game..

It gives me a error about a missing file:- api-ms-win-core-crt-l2-1-0.dll even tho the file is present ever come across this ?

Cheers
Jonny

Hi,

It's strange. Does this error message come without dgVoodoo?
By its name it must be an internal Windows dll, dgVoodoo doesn't need it directly.

Dege,

I experienced a similar situtation a long time ago, which might help you to debug Jonny5isalivetm's issue. I did not post it since I was able to resolve it on my own.

I had a similar win-core error on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with dgVoodoo on all dx8 games, when I placed 32bit D3DCompiler_47.dll version 10.0.10586.494 (which I downloaded from your website) into the game folder. Some websites claim that this error happens when the non-redistributable version of a D3DCompiler_47.dll is shipped with an application instead of the redistributable version.

I did not get this error when I used 32bit D3DCompiler_47.dll version 10.0.14393.33 or version 6.3.9600.16384. I downloaded these files from the link below. These versions are described on the website (and also in their file properties) as "Direct3D HLSL Compiler for Redistribution".
https://www.dll-files.com/d3dcompiler_47.dll.html

While we are on this subject, which version of the DLL should I use with dgVoodoo on Windows 7? Version 10.0.14393.33 or version 6.3.9600.16384 ? I did not get any error messages on either of them, but I am guessing that one of them should be more compatible. I am currently using Version 10.0.14393.33 since version number is higher.

Reply 2908 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks CoolGamer, it's extremely useful info for me!!

Silly on me, I think now I understand: I must have uploaded a version to the website that is compatible only with Win10. Or sg like that.
I should remove it.

CoolGamer wrote:

While we are on this subject, which version of the DLL should I use with dgVoodoo on Windows 7? Version 10.0.14393.33 or version 6.3.9600.16384 ? I did not get any error messages on either of them, but I am guessing that one of them should be more compatible. I am currently using Version 10.0.14393.33 since version number is higher.

It's all for the same. _47 is the newest one, the (first?) one being able to compile to SM5.1 code (DX12).
dgVoodoo targets up to only SM4.1, so even _43 is perfect.
The only reason I'm advocating _47 is because this version is (finally!) distributed with Win10, so Win10 users doesn't have to mess with it at all.

Reply 2909 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sane gamer always runs dxwebsetup.exe after Windows install. Then there's no problems with missing DX components and certainly no need to put random DLLs in game's folder, regardless of Windows version used.

The only small thing that's still missing from Vista onwards is the Direct3D Retained Mode DLL. But Dege has it on his dgVoodoo's download page. Unzip it to Windows\SysWOW64 (64-bit OS) or Windows\System32 (32-bit OS) then DirectX installation is as complete as it can be.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2910 of 3949, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dgvoodoo beta 29 vs Tokimeki memorial: taisen puzzle dama >>> directx unknown error > japanese kanji! Error code 0017
win2.jpg
This is the popup when running the game in fullscreen mode without any wrapper:
win1.jpg

Shanghai classic kanzenhan (sunsoft 2004) >>> Game only supports windowed mode (feat.crappy resizing) and it just doesn't hook to dgvoodoo2, I suppose it's directx9 (bad luck!) or the usual weird oriental game programing 😠

Conclusion: Oh gawd! these old nippon softwa are so picky!

Last edited by Myloch on 2017-02-10, 12:02. Edited 1 time in total.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2912 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

I know this has been requested before, but could an FPS cap be implemented due to some monitors color being dependent on refresh rates?

dgVoodoo has this feature, but it doesn't work. 😁
OK, for Glide, it works: if you type a custom refresh value into the resolution selector combo box, then the FPS is capped to that.
For DX it doesn't work (yet) for some unknown reasons.

Reply 2913 of 3949, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
dgVoodoo has this feature, but it doesn't work. :D OK, for Glide, it works: if you type a custom refresh value into the resoluti […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

I know this has been requested before, but could an FPS cap be implemented due to some monitors color being dependent on refresh rates?

dgVoodoo has this feature, but it doesn't work. 😁
OK, for Glide, it works: if you type a custom refresh value into the resolution selector combo box, then the FPS is capped to that.
For DX it doesn't work (yet) for some unknown reasons.

Awh man, I wanna play Blood II 😜

Reply 2916 of 3949, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I don't have NVIDIA card in the computer, I use DxTory (Advanced tab->Limit Video FPS). It also has support for DirectX 7 hooking and below. Doesn't matter when the game is run via dgVoodoo, but still, it's difficult to find software with that perk.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2917 of 3949, by Henrar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I am trying to make Gog version of Jedi Knight and hardware acceleration to work with dgvoodoo. No matter the config I get crashes in DXGI while switching from game to pause menu (screenshot below). Main menu and the game itself work fine, but as soon as I press Esc key, the game stops working and I'm left with 640x480 desktop.

This happens on dgvoodoo 2.53 on Windows 10 AU and Nvidia GPU (with newest drivers, but it happend also on older ones) based on Maxwell and Pascal cores. The game doesn't crash if I switch to MS WARP renderer, but then the performance and graphics quality suffers greatly (for example, the HUD is blurred). Any help?

Attachments

• JediKnightDxgiError.PNG
    Filename
    JediKnightDxgiError.PNG
    File size
    10.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2919 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Henrar wrote:

Hey guys,

I am trying to make Gog version of Jedi Knight and hardware acceleration to work with dgvoodoo. No matter the config I get crashes in DXGI while switching from game to pause menu (screenshot below). Main menu and the game itself work fine, but as soon as I press Esc key, the game stops working and I'm left with 640x480 desktop.

This happens on dgvoodoo 2.53 on Windows 10 AU and Nvidia GPU (with newest drivers, but it happend also on older ones) based on Maxwell and Pascal cores. The game doesn't crash if I switch to MS WARP renderer, but then the performance and graphics quality suffers greatly (for example, the HUD is blurred). Any help?

If you have Visual Studio installed, you can download symbol files for DXGI.dll from MS symbol servers, to see the callstack, and, in what function it crashes.
Also, don't you have DX debug layer accidentally enabled? That can cause occassional crashes, if 'break on errors' is enabled. 😊