VOGONS

SB16 System Requirements.

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The oldest sound card that I own is a sound blaster 16. I was thinking of building a 286 pc for old dos games.
I read online the sb16 system requirements today and it said:

IBM PC 386 or higher, or 100% compatibles
VGA
5 MB of hard disk space for SB software
MS-DOS 5.0 or higher, Windows 3.1 or higher, Windows NT 3.5 or higher, Windows 95, or OS/2 Warp
Available 16-bit ISA slot
Speakers or headphones

It seems I don't have a sound card suitable for a 286 then. Has anyone tried what happens if you try sb16 in a 286 pc? Does it work at all or is it just that cpu is too slow to for playing game sounds?
What does it need VGA garphics card for?

Last edited by Baoran on 2017-04-14, 18:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 25, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card itself works of course also in a 286 with 16 bit ISA slot, but software that makes use of the 16 bit stereo capabilities on a 286 is somewhat limited.
So it will be mostly used as SB Pro where you end up with mono sound since the SB16 is not fully SB Pro compatible.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 25, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

The card itself works of course also in a 286 with 16 bit ISA slot, but software that makes use of the 16 bit stereo capabilities on a 286 is somewhat limited.
So it will be mostly used as SB Pro where you end up with mono sound since the SB16 is not fully SB Pro compatible.

Also, wouldn't the software required to configure the PnP versions of SB16 be impossible to run on a 286?

Reply 3 of 25, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the sb16 that I have is CT2290 which also seem to have IDE interface. Most of the games I would be playing on 286 would be ones that only have basic sound blaster support.

Reply 4 of 25, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kaputnik wrote:
elianda wrote:

Also, wouldn't the software required to configure the PnP versions of SB16 be impossible to run on a 286?

I don't see why it shouldn't, except they used 386 as compiler target.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:
elianda wrote:

I have an Audician32 in my 286, and I can confirm that it is working well.
So I guess a SB16 will work too.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 25, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Windows 3.1 drivers do require enhanced mode, I think.
Except for that, I had no issues using a SB16 (CT1740) in a 286 machine.
The DOS-based Creative PnP drivers can be run with a 386 real-mode emulator, I believe.
If that doesn't work, you may consider a PAS16. It's fully functional in 286 systems.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

Isn't the audician 32 a sbpro clone ?

More or less, yes it is. It is a jumperless card too.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 25, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've successfully run a CT2770 SB16 in an 8088 based XT with 8 bit slots only. The 16bit part of the slot
is used for the CDROM interface.
It's great for running the PC speaker sound through, but there are only a tiny amount of games that can
use it's abilities on a system that slow.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 12 of 25, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found some info on that in this document. https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2011/reading … oundBlaster.pdf
The information is on page 13.

It says that the hardware supports 16bit sound through a 8bit DMA if you set both D and H parameters as the same 8 bit DMA channel number.

peklop wrote:

and what about 16 bit DMA?

Reply 13 of 25, by dieymir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SB16, both PnP and non-PNP ones, work on a 286. I'm using a SB16 PnP (CT2950) currently on my 286. DIAGNOSE and MIXERSET work fine but I don't recommend you to use any of those utilities.

* SB16 non-PnP: simply setup jumpers as required/desired and enjoy
* SB16 PnP: Creative CTCM does not work on a 286, some people used a 386 emulator with success or use Intel ICU instead (I have not tested this). I use an utility developed by another forum member (attached), don't use DIAGNOSE with this utility.

Filename
SBPNPXT.zip
File size
18.43 KiB
Downloads
298 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There are some free SB16 mixers out there. I recommend you two:

Filename
bm41free.zip
File size
53.23 KiB
Downloads
205 downloads
File comment
Beva Mixer 4.1
File license
Filename
mm5_11.zip
File size
89.91 KiB
Downloads
277 downloads
File comment
Master Mixer 5.11
File license

Both will allow you to save your settings and reload them at boot. Mater Mixer let you save and load up to 6 different mixer settings but I personally prefer Beva Mixer since Master Mixer insists in using a mouse. Both are very good and smaller than the original Creative one (and both require at least a SB16).

For your reference I have this in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file to make the CT2950 work (I'm using MS-DOS 3.3):

SET SOUND=D:\DRIVERS\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
D:\DRIVERS\SB16\SBPNPXT
D:\DRIVERS\SB16\BM /S:D:\DRIVERS\SB16
REM Master Mixer
REM D:\DRIVERS\SB16\MIXER 5
REM Creative Mixer
REM D:\DRIVERS\SB16\MIXERSET /Q /P

Reply 14 of 25, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dieymir wrote:
* SB16 PnP: Creative CTCM does not work on a 286, some people used a 386 emulator with success or use Intel ICU instead (I have […]
Show full quote

* SB16 PnP: Creative CTCM does not work on a 286, some people used a 386 emulator with success or use Intel ICU instead (I have not tested this). I use an utility developed by another forum member (attached), don't use DIAGNOSE with this utility.

SBPNPXT.zip

bm41free.zip
mm5_11.zip

Could this possibly be of some help in a situation such as this: Initializing the Vibra 16 OPL3 chip on the small

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 15 of 25, by siffert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dieymir wrote:
SB16, both PnP and non-PNP ones, work on a 286. I'm using a SB16 PnP (CT2950) currently on my 286. DIAGNOSE and MIXERSET work fi […]
Show full quote

SB16, both PnP and non-PNP ones, work on a 286. I'm using a SB16 PnP (CT2950) currently on my 286. DIAGNOSE and MIXERSET work fine but I don't recommend you to use any of those utilities.

* SB16 non-PnP: simply setup jumpers as required/desired and enjoy

SBPNPXT.zip

bm41free.zip
mm5_11.zip

Both will allow you to save your settings and reload them at boot. Mater Mixer let you save and load up to 6 different mixer settings but I personally prefer Beva Mixer since Master Mixer insists in using a mouse. Both are very good and smaller than the original Creative one (and both require at least a SB16).

For your reference I have this in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file to make the CT2950 work (I'm using MS-DOS 3.3):

SET SOUND=D:\DRIVERS\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
D:\DRIVERS\SB16\SBPNPXT
D:\DRIVERS\SB16\BM /S:D:\DRIVERS\SB16
REM Master Mixer
REM D:\DRIVERS\SB16\MIXER 5
REM Creative Mixer
REM D:\DRIVERS\SB16\MIXERSET /Q /P

I know I am late to this discussion, but I have a mint condition and running like clockwork Compaq Deskpro 286e 12mhz running IBM Dos 3.3. I have a SB 1.5 and an internal Roland LAPC-1 in the machine. Thing is, the SB 1.5 card has no line in and no mixer, so I have to run two sets of speakers-one pair for Roland Midi music and sound effects and another pair for PC and SB sounds.

I have a few extra SB16 sound cards. I was wondering if I popped one in, installed the SB 16 drivers for it, put the output stereo cable from the LAPC-1 into the Line-in of the SB16 and had Line Out going to one set of speakers, would that work in the 286e? I know it works in my Compaq Deskpro 486/66 with SB16 and Roland Lapc-1 card in it. In other words, would the line-in and mixer in the SB16 work in my 286e? Thanks.

Reply 16 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might have some more hoops to jump through if it's PnP, but I see no reason why not.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 25, by siffert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

You might have some more hoops to jump through if it's PnP, but I see no reason why not.

It is a Soundblaster SB16 SCSI-2 CT 1770, no plug and play. Will try it today, its the same card as in my Deskpro 486/66.

Reply 18 of 25, by siffert

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Woo Hoo!, I can confirm the SB16 CT1770 SCSI 2 works just fine (Diagnose, SB16Set , High DMA 5 etc.) in my Compaq 12 mhz 286e using IBM Dos 3.3 Got my LAPC-1 hooked up in the SB16 Line-in and working fine too with one set of speakers. Oh, it turns out I had a CT1600 SB Pro 2 in it, not a SB1.5. Now just need to install the SB16 Windows 3.1 drivers.

Reply 19 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In all honesty, the SB Pro 2 or something fully SB Pro compatible is probably a better choice for this machine. You will never be using it to play MP3s via MPXPlay or running a game which supports high sample rate audio like Crusader: No Remorse, and no SB16 card supports all the stereo capabilities of the OPL3 chip.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder