VOGONS

First post, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alexander Makarov, creator of BloodCM (recreation of classic Monolith game Blood for EDuke32) released beta of Java-based source port of the game. You can grab it here: http://m210.duke4.net
It works with original game including re-releases on Steam and GOG. Expect some bugs as it's first release but the game should be playable. Video of gameplay is here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5qtN93fv3k

Reply 2 of 18, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jiri wrote:

Alexander Makarov, creator of BloodCM (recreation of classic Monolith game Blood for EDuke32) released beta of Java-based source port of the game. You can grab it here: http://m210.duke4.net
It works with original game including re-releases on Steam and GOG. Expect some bugs as it's first release but the game should be playable. Video of gameplay is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5qtN93fv3k

At last, Caleb lives..again!!

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 4 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did the Blood source code actually get released, or did he make some special arrangement with Monolith?

Anyway, it's nice to hear, as this seems to be one of the most demanding DOS games that people are still interested in running.

Reply 6 of 18, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He used the code from the Alpha version and reverse engineered the rest from release 1.00, which seems to contain reference symbols, but sill made it fully compatible with the latest version. Impressive work!

Reply 12 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like it encourages people to have java installed. I only have java installed in a seperate VM for government websites that require it. If you're gonna require java at least embed it or provide instructions on embedding it instead of making their systems even more vulnerable than they already are.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 18, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:
Azarien wrote:

Yeah, Java... that's not "real" Blood.

We've been waiting for a Blood source port for years and this is your reaction? Sheesh...

It's not a "source port", it's a re-creation of the engine. And not the first one.
I appreciate the effort, but as long as it's in Java and not C or C++, I cannot consider the "problem" solved.

Reply 15 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Surely Java is perfectly safe as long as you disable the Java browser plugin (which is trivial to do) ?

People like us know this. I doubt the average person wanting to play a game will.
Also the issue with disabling a plugin is you end up re-enabling it when you need it and then forgetting to disable it. Finally I just gave up and kept it uninstalled years ago.

You'd hope that a person interested in a port of a game that would bother to install Java to play it would be smart enough to disable the plugin but I doubt it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 18, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote:
F2bnp wrote:
Azarien wrote:

Yeah, Java... that's not "real" Blood.

We've been waiting for a Blood source port for years and this is your reaction? Sheesh...

It's not a "source port", it's a re-creation of the engine. And not the first one.
I appreciate the effort, but as long as it's in Java and not C or C++, I cannot consider the "problem" solved.

It's as close as it's ever going to get without the actual source code for the game. And don't bet on that happening anytime soon, Jace Hall has been trying to release it for years now and he hasn't really gotten anywhere. I just don't see what the big issue is here, if you don't like you're more than welcome to either wait for someone to port this to C/C++ or better yet just do it yourself to the coding language of your liking.

Reply 17 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At least the actual system requirements (apart from the JRE) are very low compared to even Doom ports these days.. This is especially considering it's actually still native x86-32 code in this case (libgdx is an imporant element here. Java's role is more of a backend/glue) and due to the nature of this project, it's not typical Java portable to other non-x86 platforms either.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 18, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a standalone Java player type program that you can run BloodGDX in, so you don't need Java installed on the PC's OS?

I doubt it, or someone would probably have mentioned it here, but it's worth asking about anyway.