VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As part of my massive dumpster haul the other day, I picked up a wonderfully bizarre Kinesis Classic PS/2 keyboard...thing. It looks like this:

00-evendirtierkinesis.jpg
Filename
00-evendirtierkinesis.jpg
File size
144.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see it's in a sorry state and is absolutely filthy. This is one of the most disgusting keyboards I've ever seen. I did try it, it seems to work, even if I didn't want to touch it with my hands. Yick. That said, these were quite expensive new, are fully programmable, and aside from the rubber chicklet function keys, use Cherry MX switches throughout. I posit that this thing is worth restoring. So that's what we're gonna do in this thread.

Let's see what we have to deal with...

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
198.16 KiB
Views
File license

Eww.

02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
163.4 KiB
Views
File license

Ogod.

03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
194.19 KiB
Views
File license

No.

04.jpg
Filename
04.jpg
File size
134.97 KiB
Views
File license

NO.

giphy.gif

Well, here goes nothing...

Last edited by xjas on 2017-07-03, 10:30. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

(Fun fact! I booted the Thinkpad from a floppy with QEdit and am typing this post on it. Speaking of good keyboards...)

05 (do not resize).jpg
Filename
05 (do not resize).jpg
File size
2.31 MiB
Views
File license

Here's the bottom. Not as bad. I left this pic full-size so you can read the stickers if you want.

06.jpg
Filename
06.jpg
File size
181.22 KiB
Views
File license

This thing is fully programmable, apparently the config file is plain text that you upload to it. It has this RJ11 jack on the cable that I'm not sure what is for.

Open it up, and

07.jpg
Filename
07.jpg
File size
203.18 KiB
Views
File license

Wow, that is... strange. There are a bunch of dust bunnies, as expected, but the PCBs themselves look pretty clean on this side. The filth on the inside was dry & loose, so I hit it with the vacuum.

08.jpg
Filename
08.jpg
File size
262.04 KiB
Views
File license

Here's a closeup of the main control board. I don't know how many of these things were made but it had to be a pretty small run. Note that the ROM is stickered for three different models (essential, classic & pro) and there are empty spaces for other components on the PCB. Also the instruction, "cut for USB." In a lot of ways it seems more like prototype hardware than a mass-produced product.

09.jpg
Filename
09.jpg
File size
231.71 KiB
Views
File license

The PCBs for the keybeds are that curved and held down at least partly by hot glue. I bet EEVblog guy would have something to say about that.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
13.jpg
Filename
13.jpg
File size
87.69 KiB
Views
File license

Incidentally, all the screws on the inside are identical except one. The six that hold the case together on the outside are also identical.

14.jpg
Filename
14.jpg
File size
158.61 KiB
Views
File license

This is how the function keys are assembled. Typical membrane design which is backed by a piece of blank PCB material(!), which is plastic-welded in. I had to break the "welds" (white dots) to get them out. Not sure how I'm going to hold them back in yet.

15.jpg
Filename
15.jpg
File size
201.22 KiB
Views
File license

Here's what all the innards look like exploded out. Yes, they're still gross.

17.jpg
Filename
17.jpg
File size
180.24 KiB
Views
File license
20.jpg
Filename
20.jpg
File size
183 KiB
Views
File license

Close-up so you guys can see the horror.

Reply 3 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
18.jpg
Filename
18.jpg
File size
150.04 KiB
Views
File license
19.jpg
Filename
19.jpg
File size
175.37 KiB
Views
File license

For some reason, there are three ALT keys with one missing. And no CTRLs. I don't think that was the standard layout. Some of the stock key positions are marked on the PCB itself so I'm going to have to take a closer look.

To start with, I pulled all the keycaps off and tossed them into a bucket:

21.jpg
Filename
21.jpg
File size
141.26 KiB
Views
File license

Okay, fine, I guess there's going to be some bucket.

lolrus.jpg

Here's what that left me with:

23.jpg
Filename
23.jpg
File size
189.68 KiB
Views
File license
24.jpg
Filename
24.jpg
File size
205.92 KiB
Views
File license

Yeah, nice. 😠

Reply 4 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
29.jpg
Filename
29.jpg
File size
224.16 KiB
Views
File license

These mouse-pad palm rests are official accessories for these. Needless to say they were NOT gonna stick around. Fortunately they were easy to peel off.

31.jpg
Filename
31.jpg
File size
199.09 KiB
Views
File license

Predictably, the top cover is rather yellowed, this shows the extent. The pads went in the bin. No way am I gonna rest the same hands that I eat with on those.

26.jpg
Filename
26.jpg
File size
114.22 KiB
Views
File license
27.jpg
Filename
27.jpg
File size
100.8 KiB
Views
File license
28.jpg
Filename
28.jpg
File size
96.94 KiB
Views
File license

Let's make some suds!

Reply 5 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This should be interesting 😀
Never seen curved PCB before 😕

Carry on ^^

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I let the keys soak in the detergent for a while, hoping that would lift away most of the grime. Changed the water a couple times and blasted them with the spray nozzle. That wasn't enough to get them completely spotless, but after all, what alternative did I have? Scrubbing them individually with a toothbrush?

32.jpg
Filename
32.jpg
File size
104.44 KiB
Views
File license

OH WAIT THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DID. Well, more accurately I used three toothbrushes. Every single key. Suffice to say it took BLOODY AGES and was a HUGE PAIN.

That said, the results were quite good. Here's a before and after:

33.jpg
Filename
33.jpg
File size
104.32 KiB
Views
File license
34.jpg
Filename
34.jpg
File size
111.64 KiB
Views
File license
36.jpg
Filename
36.jpg
File size
121.45 KiB
Views
File license

The blue home row keys are stock, but they're a different shape than the others. Weird.

38.jpg
Filename
38.jpg
File size
126.24 KiB
Views
File license

Laid out to dry. There are actually only 67 keys, not including the rubber F-key pads. 68 if you count the one I'm missing.

Last edited by xjas on 2017-07-03, 10:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
41.jpg
Filename
41.jpg
File size
112.59 KiB
Views
File license

Incidentally, here's what the top cover looks like after having been scrubbed with Simple Green and dried. Yeah it's pretty yellowed, and the missing palm rests are obvious, but at least it cleaned up really well. Haven't decided if I'm going to retrobrite this yet. Only a couple of the keycaps seem to have yellowed much (the "tall" enter & backspace) so it's probably worth putting the effort on this piece.

42.jpg
Filename
42.jpg
File size
180.5 KiB
Views
File license
44.jpg
Filename
44.jpg
File size
207.08 KiB
Views
File license

I hit the keybeds with the vacuum brush and manage to clean them up fairly well. Again, the grime was thankfully not greasy or sticky at all. I'm gonna hit this with compressed air tomorrow (once the shops open so I can get another can 😜 ) which should get them up to 95%. Really glad I didn't have to clean these with liquid.

That's it for tonight! Come back tomorrow when things are dry for the exciting continuation!

BTW if you’re wondering if the screen on the Thinkpad is any good for DOS gaming, the answer is yes, it totally is! Also, if you’re wondering if Arkanoid II runs unplayably fast on a 433MHz Celeron, the answer is yes, it totally does. 😠

Reply 8 of 21, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So it has a great personality?

I've always wondered if any of those "au natural" keyboards actually do anything o.0 ... other than just confuse and cause mistypes. If find my hands aren't restricted to either side when I'm typing so I suspect I would find something like that *difficult*.

I'm waiting for this to become available on the NHS...

gits.gif
Filename
gits.gif
File size
4.84 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 9 of 21, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GREAT THREAD!!! I like how you present all the stages with details and other fun facts 😁

That's some weird keyboard all right. I know a guy in my country who would kill for this keyboard 😁 He has several hundred keyboards of all sizes,shapes and you name it!

Did you wear a HAZMAT suit?

Reply 10 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

Haven't decided if I'm going to retrobrite this yet. [...]

Who am I kidding, did you guys really think I'd pass up an opportunity to make this even more complicated & involved?

45.jpg
Filename
45.jpg
File size
173.15 KiB
Views
File license

Here's about ten bucks of retrobrite ingredients from my local pharmacy/everything shop. Went for a gel peroxide solution instead of liquid. The stupid oxi detergent was the most expensive part, because I had to get it at the supermarket and they only want to sell stuff to families of 12.

48.jpg
Filename
48.jpg
File size
133.51 KiB
Views
File license

I decided to do the three most yellowed keys along with the top cover just to see how they'd turn out.

50.jpg
Filename
50.jpg
File size
146.78 KiB
Views
File license

Mixed it up in hopefully the right proportions...

51.jpg
Filename
51.jpg
File size
134.06 KiB
Views
File license

Some proper artistry going on here. Well, maybe not.

54.jpg
Filename
54.jpg
File size
178.23 KiB
Views
File license

I went for the 8-bit Guy's method of wrapping it in plastic. It's 12 PM and it's now sitting out on a bright sunny day (next to my car which gets constantly shat on by birds.) We'll check back in a few hours.

Robert B wrote:

Did you wear a HAZMAT suit?

Erm, I did go out and buy some latex gloves ... which I probably should have done before even touching the thing in the first place. Ah well. 😜

Reply 11 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WOW.

57.jpg
Filename
57.jpg
File size
112.1 KiB
Views
File license

That went well.

Just for a reminder here's how it looked like before retrobrite (but after a thorough scrubbing.) :

46.jpg
Filename
46.jpg
File size
164.55 KiB
Views
File license

Some improvement there!

It's still a tiny bit patchy, you can see a few spots of yellow left in the right light at the right angle. It could have another application but I'm not going to go that far, I want to actually use this thing, not put it in a display case. 😜

58.jpg
Filename
58.jpg
File size
133.82 KiB
Views
File license

The keys turned out great too, I was worried it would fade the letters but it didn't. Maybe I should have done them all.

Incidentally, this is as good as I could get the key beds without resorting to liquid cleaning (i.e. using compressed air and one of those paintbrushes in the above pic.) Again, they're not perfect, but I can live with them. These things are concave and convoluted so they're almost guaranteed to form monstrous filth traps in use. Gonna have to keep an eye on what's going down there.

55.jpg
Filename
55.jpg
File size
182.24 KiB
Views
File license
56.jpg
Filename
56.jpg
File size
212.54 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 13 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

The Kinesis patents just expired a little while ago. I wonder why we haven't seen cheap knockoffs yet?

^^ Interesting ... they're still making them and selling them AFAIK. The current design is virtually unchanged from this one.

One last photospam! Time to put it all back together & see how many bits there are left over.

60.jpg
Filename
60.jpg
File size
268.1 KiB
Views
File license
61.jpg
Filename
61.jpg
File size
232.28 KiB
Views
File license

No jokes, this is a pain in the butt to do. The keycaps resist any attempt to pick them up in the right orientation and slide straight out of your fingers. Especially if you've spent all day desiccating them with peroxide and isopropyl.

62.jpg
Filename
62.jpg
File size
203.25 KiB
Views
File license

Some of the letters are worn in interesting ways. I bet I could guess the previous owner's logon password if I did a little detective work. 😜 One of these blanks is the 'T' and one of them is the 'R'; I have no idea which. Fortunately they're exactly the same shape so it didn't matter all that much.

Yes, that means many other same-size keys on this thing are not the same shape. There's probably a dozen variations to deal with.

63.jpg
Filename
63.jpg
File size
231.53 KiB
Views
File license

I'm still missing both Ctrls and I still have one too many Alts. This was my solution to half of that problem.

64.jpg
Filename
64.jpg
File size
214.56 KiB
Views
File license

Done!

Reply 14 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reassembly is the reverse of removal. Incidentally I totally got this right first try. Because I'm just that good.

I almost certainly didn't assemble it with the ribbon cables for the function keys in backwards the first time around, and have to take it back apart to swap them around. Why would you think that would happen??

65.jpg
Filename
65.jpg
File size
214.56 KiB
Views
File license
66.jpg
Filename
66.jpg
File size
229.24 KiB
Views
File license
67.jpg
Filename
67.jpg
File size
126.3 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by xjas on 2017-07-04, 21:56. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 15 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just before I post the finished product, I'd like to remind you guys what it looked like when I started out.

69.jpg
Filename
69.jpg
File size
144.53 KiB
Views
File license

...and here it is now:

70-finished.jpg
Filename
70-finished.jpg
File size
211.43 KiB
Views
File license

Much, MUCH better. As soon as I find a replacement right Ctrl key I'm calling this an unqualified success.

Note that when I got it, there was a sticky note on it that said "broken." So does it work?

71.jpg
Filename
71.jpg
File size
180.83 KiB
Views
File license

Of course it works! Every key works, the internal buzzer works, all the LEDs work, the programming mode works. It's mint. That may have taken the better part of two days, but I think this one was worth saving.

Reply 19 of 21, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I let the keys soak in the detergent for a while, hoping that would lift away most of the grime. Changed the water a couple times and blasted them with the spray nozzle. That wasn't enough to get them completely spotless, but after all, what alternative did I have? Scrubbing them individually with a toothbrush?

I wash my keys in a washing machine.