VOGONS

Unisys CWD-4002

Topic actions

First post, by Kyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy!

I bought one of these after seeing the LGR YouTube video. I'm having a good deal of fun with it. It's small enough that I'm able to tuck it on a corner of my desk and I can toggle my monitor to VGA when I want to play with it.

I apologize for the link overload. I'm just hoping this is helpful for the next guy since I had plenty of questions. Here's a shot of the goods.

unisys1.jpg

Mine came with 12 MB ram that I bumped to 32 from this eBay seller for a whopping $8. I probably would have left it alone if it came with 16. The mismatched 8 and 4 of different brands it shipped with annoyed me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151134933570

I wanted a Soundblaster but the length on them is problematic. I didn't want a value card so I ended up ordering an Audician 32 that I saw numerous recommendations for. It works great.

I started out with a Startech CF to IDE adapter. For some reason we could not be friends. I had to regularly reseat the card or wiggle the IDE cable to get it to work properly. I may have just gotten a dud. I switched to the SD to IDE that Phil recommended and vastly prefer it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291873933509

The drive tray I am using is this one. I intentionally ordered a plastic one so I could hack away at it. I cut it up some with some snips to route the cables. It looks very similar to an original Xbox drive tray once I had it situated.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMGZBP0/

I am using it with a "SanDisk Ultra 8GB Class 10 SDHC 40MB" card. This was the fastest 8 GB card I could find. The system sees the full size when set to LBA. I am running Win 95 OSR2 for FAT32 support and have it boot to a DOS prompt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55BS5O/

Thanks to the forum for all of the help I received. Any questions just ask.

Reply 3 of 36, by Kyle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a Cirrus onboard for graphics. Only one ISA slot which the sound card gets.

Thanks for the welcome. I had been lurking for a couple of weeks and wanted to share. A bunch of these were sold after that video was posted. So I thought this info might help others with theirs.

Reply 4 of 36, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

Mine is missing the right holder for the ISA-Card, so my soundcard is not fixed 🙁

Is this what you need? It's from a system I don't own anymore. Not sure if it's the correct shape though, different brand.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    Filename
    bracket.jpg
    File size
    180.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube

Reply 6 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could be the right thing...but I am not sure because I have not seen this as a fully assembled machine.
Here are some pictures of my machine. https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/se … 57683681646872/

If you do not need it, I'll be interested in this. My location is in germany. Please let me know what I
should pay for it. Greetings Doc

Btw: The fan is relatively loud in my machine, do you have an advice for a new a slient fan for it?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 7 of 36, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That does look somewhat like the part you're missing (though I think it might be the wrong shape... possibly). I can double check with my CWD-4001 when I'm back from work and post pictures of it.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 8 of 36, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:

That does look somewhat like the part you're missing (though I think it might be the wrong shape... possibly). I can double check with my CWD-4001 when I'm back from work and post pictures of it.

Please post a pic so that I can compare.

YouTube

Reply 9 of 36, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here you go, probably more photos then you need, but better safe then sorry. 😀

Looking at Rawit's photo again, I'm thinking it might work, but the one problem I see right away is on the side opposite the one which has the spot for the screw, there's no little extension to slide in on the CWD-4002 case (see my last two photos, I'm talking about how it fits onto the case on the left).

Not sure what to think. If I can take any more specific measurements you think might help, let me know.

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 10 of 36, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the pictures! I think it will work 😀

@dr.zeissler, PM incoming...

Attachments

• bracket_2.jpg
    Filename
    bracket_2.jpg
    File size
    115.96 KiB
    Views
    File license

YouTube

Reply 11 of 36, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah yeah, that does look like it should work, though as I said the little clip-thingy (on the right side of your most recent photo) won't fit into the little slot on the CWD-4002 (it would need to be on the front of the part, not on the back where it is now... or maybe the lighting in your photo is playing tricks with my eyes and it actually is on the front side haha). But that's not the end of the world, the other screw should be ok to hold it in place well enough. 😀

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 12 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you! With this little addon my soundcard will be safe in my unisys 😀
Thx!!!!! Please let me know if I can help with something.

Greetings
Doc

Reply 13 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back from vacation...and it already has arrived 😀 So first attempt...does not fit, second attempt...does not fit 🙁
Then I found out that it is minimal different, but it fits if I use a metal feile and take away some hight on the right side. Now it fits perfect.

Thank you Sir of Sir's !

Greeting from Germany
Doc

Reply 15 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Project started 😀 VRAM Upgraded to 1MB CF-Card 4GB (2GB/2GB) with DM957.
Were can I find the drivers for the 486/66 especially for the LAN. The Onboard CL5424 has a nice and clean picture.

For the sound I am using an aztech-card and I am using a dreamblaster s2.

Attachments

• Aztech%20MMSN850.JPG
    Filename
    Aztech%20MMSN850.JPG
    File size
    79.77 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 17 of 36, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:

Were can I find the drivers for the 486/66 especially for the LAN.

You'll want the NE2000 driver from here. You can add it to your AUTOEXEC.BAT with something like:

NE2000.COM 0x60 10

Where the "10" might need to be changed to whatever other IRQ it might be using (10 works for me, but I recall someone else said 9 worked for them).

dr.zeissler wrote:

Is it possible to upgrade to a dx4/100 because the dx2/66 has no caches and is relatively slow.

I believe some of these do come with DX4-100's out of the box (there is at least one Youtube video I've seen of someone demoing his with a DX4-100 anyway), so I would think it would work, but I am unsure if the motherboard is different for those models or not as I've not seen one.

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 18 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx, but I think I have a BIG problem 🙁
None of my soundcards work with that machine. From Aztech, to CT4170, ESS, CT1370..none does work. There must be something at 220 I5/7 DMA1 ?
How can I determine what is wrong ?

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/se … 57683681646872/

Reply 19 of 36, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I installed my CT4170 and the drivers. CTCM CTCU do not fin the soundcard. Diagnose tells me that no base address (220/240/260/280 is usable. What is that?