VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 122, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see. I noticed many of the cons you pointed out the longer I played. The poor timing of the music and the abrupt transitions really are jarring.

So, when I first played Secret of Monkey Island in ScummVM, I heard a different sound effect -- it wasn't the one in the YouTube video I linked to and it's not the more "door-like" soundbladter effext. What was it? I can put up a video of it later if needed.

As an aside, is the floppy version of MI1 with the NRS patch pretty much considered the "best" version around these parts? I know it's subjective, but I'm just wondering what the general consensus is. Furthermore, what do you think of the special editions of MI1 and MI2 which feature the high-res graphics and whatnot?

And then there's the ultimate talkie edition, which we apparently don't talk about... From what I understand it adds the newer music/SFX and voices to the graphics of the original games? But, do we not already get that in the special edition anyways, because can't you revert to the older graphics with the press of a button?

Reply 81 of 122, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lukeman3000 wrote:

And then there's the ultimate talkie edition, which we apparently don't talk about... From what I understand it adds the newer music/SFX and voices to the graphics of the original games? But, do we not already get that in the special edition anyways, because can't you revert to the older graphics with the press of a button?

You can revert to original graphics in MI1SE, but you will lose voices (and remastered music, as i remember). So ultimate talkie edition - is indeed definitive version (and you can choose what music will play - fm, mt-32, general midi, cd-version or remastered ost)

Reply 82 of 122, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Osprey wrote:

It could be, since your patch seems to work with the Ultimate Talkie version of Monkey2

The patch's purpose is to remove the tradeoff between good MT-32 music and having sound effects. The UT edition, as I understand it without ever having used it, already has sound effects, so I don't see the point.

Osprey wrote:

(MI1) The CD-ROM music isn't timed well to events in the game.

This^. More: the CD-ROM's music sounds cheap, being recorded from a simple wavetable device. FM and MT-32 proudly sound like what they are: synthesizers, while simple wavetable devices always try to sound like what they're not: real. I call it the uncanny valley of music synthesis.

Also: the additional CD-ROM music tracks are badly composed, not fitting in well with the original tracks. The original tracks each have a real melody, while the additional tracks sound like someone started out with nothing and then tried to arrange that. You can hum every melody from the original tracks --- now try that with, say, the CD-ROM version's Stan theme.

The SE recordings on the other hand sound like what they are as well: a tiny, very tiny, studio orchestra.

KainXVIII wrote:

or remastered ost

Don't use "remastered" to refer to a re-recording as opposed to an actual remaster. I don't care if everyone else uses the word that way, it's still wrong. Yes, I'm being pedantic.

Reply 83 of 122, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NewRisingSun wrote:

The patch's purpose is to remove the tradeoff between good MT-32 music and having sound effects. The UT edition, as I understand it without ever having used it, already has sound effects, so I don't see the point.

Under DOS, the Ultimate Talkie editions of both Monkey 1 and Monkey 2 do not have sound effects unless you select Adlib/Sound Blaster, which loses you MIDI music, so the very same trade-off between MIDI and sound effects exists. That's why your patches are useful for even the UT editions.

BTW, I've just discovered that your Monkey 2 patch also works with the Ultimate Talkie version of Monkey 1 (by renaming SOUNBLAS.IMS to ADLIB.IMS or ROL_330.IMS and running the game with the 'a' or 'r1' parameters, respectively), since the UT has the updated version of Monkey 1 that uses iMUSE, like Monkey 2.

Reply 85 of 122, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lukeman3000 wrote:
Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere - I've went back through the thread and read each post, but didn't see anything that sp […]
Show full quote

Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere - I've went back through the thread and read each post, but didn't see anything that speaks to this error:

rdqVFF3.png

That is because you must run the patch either in DOSBox or using true MS-DOS, not a Windows 64-bit command line. A 32-bit version of Windows would probably work, but a 64-bit version cannot run the 16-bit code of a DOS program.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 86 of 122, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:
lukeman3000 wrote:
Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere - I've went back through the thread and read each post, but didn't see anything that sp […]
Show full quote

Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere - I've went back through the thread and read each post, but didn't see anything that speaks to this error:

rdqVFF3.png

That is because you must run the patch either in DOSBox or using true MS-DOS, not a Windows 64-bit command line. A 32-bit version of Windows would probably work, but a 64-bit version cannot run the 16-bit code of a DOS program.

Thanks. I ran it in DOSBox and it seems to have worked.

Regarding this:

SOUNBLAS.IMS replaces the original SOUNBLAS.IMS, so you have to run the game with "MONKEY2 s".

I shouldn't actually have a "MONKEY2 s.exe" file, right? The "s" is just a parameter that's added, and if so, what does it imply?

I'm trying to figure out how to start "MONKEY2 s" from a batch file. I've tried:

start "" "monkey2.exe" -s
start "" "monkey2.exe s"
start "" "monkey2 s"

..but that doesn't work. It does work when I type "MONKEY2 S" directly into the DOSBox command prompt and press enter, but I can't seem to get it to work otherwise. The reason is that I'm using a frontend and I have to point the frontend either to a DOS executable or a batch file.

Edit: The following works:

monkey2 s
exit

However, I hear the barkeep spitting sound effect regardless of if I start the game this way, or without the "s" parameter (and just run MONKEY2.EXE). Is this normal? I'm just wondering what the purpose of the "s" is.

Reply 87 of 122, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lukeman3000 wrote:

However, I hear the barkeep spitting sound effect regardless of if I start the game this way, or without the "s" parameter (and just run MONKEY2.EXE). Is this normal? I'm just wondering what the purpose of the "s" is.

It's normal because the game defaults to Adlib/SB sound if you don't supply any parameter. They probably added the 's' because it's just good form (programming/UI-wise), it allows them to easily change the default at a later date (say that they eventually change the default to PC speaker or MT-32; they'd need to implement the 's' to allow players to choose Adlib/SB) and it's simpler than explaining why there's no Adlib/SB parameter option listed when a user types MONKEY2 ?. It's better all around to define a parameter for every option and set a default rather than cut corners.

Reply 88 of 122, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

THIS is what I call a ULTIMATE version of SoMI & MI2!

-Fixed Adlib speed bug
-Fixed savegame music bug
-Brought back missing sounds
-And of course: Music AND Effects!

And all of this for EGA/VGA (with/without copy protection).

Outstanding work!!! Thanks so much!

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 89 of 122, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm planning on testing this out in the future once I get my Packard Bell all setup again, or run SoMI in DOSBox with Munt.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 90 of 122, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just went to direct someone here, and I noticed that all of the patches were removed today.

What's happened?

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 91 of 122, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's what I asked myself.

Edit: 1900th post.

Reply 93 of 122, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also don't know why the original post was deleted, but all the patches are available if you paste this threads url into the wayback machine. They have a snapshot from summer 2018 which includes all the latest downloads.

Cheers.

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 94 of 122, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Burrito78 wrote:

I also don't know why the original post was deleted, but all the patches are available if you paste this threads url into the wayback machine. They have a snapshot from summer 2018 which includes all the latest downloads.

Cheers.

Thank for the tip Burrito - I now have a copy.

NewRisingSun, given you deleted the patch, is there something not right with it (and I should hold off on using it?). I greatly appreciate your top-notch work, and want to follow your recommendation regarding use of your software. Best regards.

Reply 95 of 122, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I cannot seem to get it to work.

Edit: I feel dumb. I remove the SID=someoddtext and I got it to work. Thanks.

Reply 97 of 122, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the wayback machine links are now broken, too. I just discovered these patches. Is anyone able to help out here? Somebody that already downloaded them all?

Please reupload them somewhere for others to be able to DL these fine patches, thank you!

Reply 99 of 122, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote:

I just tried MI2 with the above using dosbox and an external CM32L and I hear midi out of one set of speakers and sound effects out of the other. Nice work!

Edit: is there a version of this for MI1?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium