VOGONS

First post, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Restoration of an Intel Advanced/ML (Marl)

Socket 7 ATX/P133/256KB L2
82430HX
Aug-1996

Found in barn on countryside, quite filthy.

Rather simple beige box.

Found stripped of all parts save the processor. Add 32MB EDO, Fireball ST, and the rest.

ScElJMN.jpg
zgvZq9L.jpg
BvLyHHN.jpg
e5IkPyz.jpg
MeuMqAE.jpg?1
R8MjYrl.jpg
yxfYfeS.jpg
kpPkGvH.jpg

Reply 1 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice Inwin. This is what a proper system from the mid 90s should look like...with period correct drives and all.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 17, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great find!
I have the same board and it's really nice to work with - great design for cable management and proper ATX formfactor.

The only couple of issues I ran into were a 200MHz CPU limit and and it didnt't want to post with a K5 in it. Though Im sure that can be adressed with a bios update.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 3 of 17, by Andy1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks great - have also just built a system with one of these boards. Latest BIOS update is worth installing as it enables booting from CD and fixed some issues I was having with Windows 95 detecting both IDE channels properly.

Think they are limited to non-MMX Intel CPUs (or the MMX overdrive) which isn't surprising for an Intel-made board. Couldn't get mine to run with a 6x86 PR166+.

My Retro systems:
1. Pentium 200, 64mb EDO RAM, Matrox Millennium 2mb, 3DFX Voodoo 4mb, DOS6.22 / Win95 / Win98SE
2. Compaq Armada M700 laptop, PIII-450, Win98SE
3. Core2Duo E6600, ATI Radeon 4850, Win XP

Reply 4 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice work, that empty spot for a case badge would annoy me, but was quite common back then

Reply 6 of 17, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

nice work, that empty spot for a case badge would annoy me, but was quite common back then

Good point, perhaps I could duplicate this badge from another system, as it is my favorite:

h4D4fxT.jpg

Reply 7 of 17, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Formulator wrote:
Good point, perhaps I could duplicate this badge from another system, as it is my favorite: […]
Show full quote
chinny22 wrote:

Good point, perhaps I could duplicate this badge from another system, as it is my favorite:

h4D4fxT.jpg

That badge looks like it's from the 1950's. Like if you got grandma to knit a case badge. I love it.

N32wTtol.jpg

Reply 8 of 17, by karpmmx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is an old topic, but does anyone here have Any detailed specs on the Marl board? I just picked up an old TriGem PC with this board, and can't find any information on it, beyond the chipset and processors supported. TriGem is long since defunct.

Reply 9 of 17, by detritus olentus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chanced upon this thread and really liked the long-ago-mentioned case badge so I played around in Gimp and MS Paint with my amateur skills. I'm also colorblind so any shade changes I blame on that.

Computer Badge retouch.jpg
Filename
Computer Badge retouch.jpg
File size
85.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11NaRxwCXP0K … tpGRNu2rbaWYBRG

gWSJi23.png
https://archive.org/details/@detritus_olentus
Philly Burbs.

Reply 10 of 17, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
karpmmx wrote:

I know this is an old topic, but does anyone here have Any detailed specs on the Marl board? I just picked up an old TriGem PC with this board, and can't find any information on it, beyond the chipset and processors supported. TriGem is long since defunct.

Here are the specs:

http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/sq598/28180602.pdf

Also, nice work cleaning up that case badge image.

Reply 11 of 17, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

That board might be Intel's first ATX form factor board. It dates to late 1996!

The Intel Advanced/ATX (Thor) with a 430FX chipset was actually Intel's first ATX socket 7 board. it's from early-mid '96, mine's from late '96 and is flashed with a MR BIOS

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 12 of 17, by raerek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got a motherboard just like this one with an Intel MMX CPU. And - maybe sounds silly - I am unable to turn it on. I have a PSU just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI7I6aMQ7QI and I can connect 20 of the 24 pins to the motherboard.
And what now? I hoped that there would be a pair of pins somewhere on the board to short them, but I cannot find them.
Should I connect the remaining 4 pins somewhere? Where?
I guess this is the specification for the moherborad (not sure): https://www.fermimn.edu.it/inform/materiali/e … bd/28180602.pdf

Any help would be welcome.

Reply 14 of 17, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
raerek wrote on 2021-03-24, 17:35:
I recently got a motherboard just like this one with an Intel MMX CPU. And - maybe sounds silly - I am unable to turn it on. I h […]
Show full quote

I recently got a motherboard just like this one with an Intel MMX CPU. And - maybe sounds silly - I am unable to turn it on. I have a PSU just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI7I6aMQ7QI and I can connect 20 of the 24 pins to the motherboard.
And what now? I hoped that there would be a pair of pins somewhere on the board to short them, but I cannot find them.
Should I connect the remaining 4 pins somewhere? Where?
I guess this is the specification for the moherborad (not sure): https://www.fermimn.edu.it/inform/materiali/e … bd/28180602.pdf

Any help would be welcome.

If the your board is just like this one, then the pins for turning it on are in the top-right corner, next to the floppy connector and speed jumpers. Page 15 and 18 of the manual you attached - pins 4 and 5 need to be shorted to turn it on. This motherboard also does not support MMX CPU's, only original Pentiums, so you will need to get one of those if you want to at least boot it.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 15 of 17, by raerek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Munx wrote on 2021-03-24, 19:54:

If the your board is just like this one, then the pins for turning it on are in the top-right corner, next to the floppy connector and speed jumpers. Page 15 and 18 of the manual you attached - pins 4 and 5 need to be shorted to turn it on. This motherboard also does not support MMX CPU's, only original Pentiums, so you will need to get one of those if you want to at least boot it.

Sorry for the late reply. I guess it is just like the one. And I would have never thought that the | SLEEP PWR | label meant that it is a sleep AND a power jumper:) Thank you.
And guess what - it is able to run an MMX processor - or I am wrong with my "exactly the same" statement. I will post pictures so it is going to turn out soon.
Thank you again:)