VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nariturbina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I need help with the game LayerSection for Windows 95/98, please! I have tried installing it in Windows 7, 95 and 98, with _inmm.dll (ver 2.15 - 2.30 - 2.32 - 2.36 - 2.37 and 2.38), with the tracks in .wav and .mp3 but with no configuration that the music of the CD. My last configuration is in Windows 98 emulated with DosBox 0.74 SVN-Daum, with the tracks in .wav, the image bin/cue mounted, and _inmm.dll 2.37. Help please, thanks.

Reply 1 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Ix1O5t-N8

It works, so you're obviously doing something wrong. Though your post is a bit poorly written and I'm going to need a lot more information to figure out what. Let's start with some screenshots, post a screenshot of the following:

• A hash of the .exe before and after patching it with _inmm (you can use an online service like http://onlinemd5.com/ to get the hash)
  • All of _inmm's configuration tabs
  • The contents of the game directory
  • The contents of inmm.ini

Do NOT use Windows 95/98, DOSBox (the game works fine natively and we don't want complicating factors) or try to play CD audio tracks from an bin/cue (it might work for this game, but often results in looping issues with _inmm).

The video I linked also says to use _inmm 2.32 for a specific reason. 2.38 has issues freezing while switching tracks in this game. Should work though.

Reply 2 of 14, by Nariturbina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for answering!! Sorry for my English, I'm using the Google translator. When I run the game in Windows 7 I get the error "Can not load Glue Libraries" so I am testing it in Win98.
Ls.exe Md5 06DCAC627547ECF737136E59F92AAFF4
Ls.org Md5 133966B087C2FBF1807569FF0DDE599C

Reply 3 of 14, by Nariturbina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Files in c:\Layer Section\
_INMM.DLL
_inmm.ini
6DOTS.MSL
6EXTRA.MSL
7FROM6.MSL
AUDIO.dll
AUDIO.org
DeIsL1.isu
FONT1.MSL
FONT2.MSL
FONT3.MSL
FONT4.MSL
FONT5.MSL
FONT6.MSL
FONT7.MSL
FONTG.MSL
FONTN.MSL
FONTT.MSL
GOVER.MSL
LS.exe
LS.org
MAGNA.MSL
mmgr.VXD
NIWUOY.MSL
OPTIONS.exe
OPTIONS.org
PLAYER_1.msl
PLAYER_2.MSL
PLAYER_3.MSL
PLAYER_4.MSL
PLAYER_5.MSL
PLAYER_6.MSL
PLAYER_7.MSL
PLAYER_N.MSL
RAYFORCE.DLL
readme.txt
ROCK4.MSL
ROCK5.MSL
ROUND_00.MSL
ROUND_10.MSL
ROUND_20.MSL
ROUND_30.MSL
ROUND_40.MSL
ROUND_50.MSL
ROUND_60.MSL
ROUND_70.MSL
ROUND_B1.MSL
ROUND_B2.MSL
ROUND_B3.MSL
ROUND_B4.MSL
ROUND_B5.MSL
ROUND_B6.MSL
ROUND_B7.MSL
ROUND_BM.MSL
ROUND_J0.MSL
ROUND0_1.MSL
ROUND0_2.MSL
ROUND0_3.MSL
ROUND0_4.MSL
ROUND0_5.MSL
ROUND0_6.MSL
ROUND0_7.MSL
SAPI.DLL
SOUND.DAT
STORY.MSL
TITLE.MSL
TUNNEL5.MSL
ui.dat
VDP1REG.DLL
VDP1VRAM.DLL
VDP2REG1.DLL
VDP2REG2.DLL
VDP2VRAM.DLL
WORKRAM.DLL

In c:\Layer Section\Music\
Track02.mp3
Track03.mp3
Track04.mp3
Track05.mp3
Track06.mp3
Track07.mp3
Track08.mp3
Track09.mp3
Track10.mp3
Track11.mp3
Track12.mp3
Track13.mp3
Track14.mp3
Track15.mp3
Track16.mp3
Track17.mp3
Track18.mp3

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    32.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    29.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    40.63 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to reinstall this and see...

Nariturbina wrote:

Thanks for answering!! Sorry for my English, I'm using the Google translator. When I run the game in Windows 7 I get the error "Can not load Glue Libraries" so I am testing it in Win98.

That just means it can't load some libraries. Are you running the game in compatibility mode? The properties of LS.EXE should look like this:

Clipboard01.png
Filename
Clipboard01.png
File size
7.09 KiB
Views
File license

Well slightly different on Windows 7, but you get the picture: none of the settings in that page should be on.

If you're running in compatibility mode that's an important thing to mention (ANY change you make to the installation must be mentioned when asking for help) and the terminology of calling it compatibility mode specifically and not Windows 98 emulation or something is also important.

Another possibility is that _inmm is complaining about something, but it should give you an error message telling you what.

So disable compatibility mode if it's on and screenshot any messages _inmm gives you. Anyway, since I decided to install the game and look at it myself I found two more things to mention. First, you definitely need a ddraw wrapper. I'm not sure what I would recommend here. DXGL is easier to configure for sharp scaling, but dgVoodoo2 changes refresh rate (easier if you're on a 120hz+ refresh rate monitor).

Secondly the file to patch with _inmm is AUDIO.DLL, not LS.EXE

Reply 5 of 14, by Nariturbina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked and I'm not running Ls.exe in Compatibility Mode. Thanks for patching Audio.dll because I did not know. Now the hashes are
Audio.dll md5 1EA9ACDE8A0E65ACDE4497B6B7F8F6BF
Audio.org md5 7E0E095356F4FB1C254848895D6C9187
And I keep giving this error in Windows 7

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    11.8 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You really should not get that error, at all. Can you try removing everything in your game directory, reinstalling the game and then launch it without patching it with _inmm and see if you get the same error message?

Reply 7 of 14, by Nariturbina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have already fixed the error "Can not load Glue Libraries" by deactivating DEP for Ls.exe !!!! Now I just need _inmm.dll to work, how did you configure it?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    252.03 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nariturbina wrote:

I have already fixed the error "Can not load Glue Libraries" by deactivating DEP for Ls.exe !!!!

I see this all the time and I have to ask... Why do you have DEP enabled for third party programs in the first place? It is not the default configuration for any Windows OS I have seen. The default Windows configuration has always been this:

Clipboard02.png
Filename
Clipboard02.png
File size
5.5 KiB
Views
File license

Just select the first radio button and all the 8 programs you've already had problems with will work and so will future programs.

I'm just so confused why I've seen so many people who have changed this setting. I'm vaguely guessing its a reading comprehension issue, that people think they have to select the second button to add exceptions to DEP without realizing when the first button means every non-Microsoft program is excepted from DEP. Is that the case? Did you read someone tell you to disable DEP for a game and you figured you had to select the second option to add it to the list?

Is it based on some popular tweak guide I haven't heard of that just fails to notify people of the compatibility problems this can introduce? Or maybe it's actually configured that way by default in some obscure Win7/8/10 versions?

Nariturbina wrote:

Now I just need _inmm.dll to work, how did you configure it?

The configuration images you posted are correct. As long as you've patched AUDIO.DLL I have no idea what's wrong, possible _inmm.ini is referencing the wrong files (open it in a text editor and check), you didn't post its contents so I can't tell.

Can Windows Media Player play mp3 files on your system?

Reply 9 of 14, by Nariturbina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree, I knew that was the configuration of the DEP, but you see that Windows 7 changed it in some update and as I did not remember it was like that. But well now the game goes, and for those who are interested in the configuration of DXGL I was like this

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    81.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 14, by Nariturbina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I can play the .mp3 files in my Media Player. Now I would be interested to review the steps of _inmm.dll to see where I'm wrong:
1.- Uncompress _inmm232.zip in "c:\Program Files\_inmm\"
2.- I apply the patch to Audio.dll. I'm left with these hash
Audio.dll md5 1EA9ACDE8A0E65ACDE4497B6B7F8F6BF
Audio.org md5 7E0E095356F4FB1C254848895D6C9187
3.- Configured _inmmcnf.exe and created the file _inmm.ini that saved in "c:\Program Files\LayerSection\" and it looks like this:
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track02.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track03.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track04.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track05.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track06.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track07.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track08.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track09.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track10.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track11.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track12.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track13.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track14.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track15.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track16.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track17.mp3
C:\Program Files\LayerSection\Music\Track18.mp3
4.- Copy _inmm.dll to "c:\Program Files\LayerSection\"

Reply 11 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK... let's try to think of more things that can go wrong.

1: Mismatched _inmm.dll and _inmmserv.exe versions. Whenever you run _inmmcnf.exe it will save a configuration in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\irori\_inmm.dll". There there's a value named _inmmserv, make sure it's pointing to a 2.32 _inmmserv.exe. For some weird reason _inmm won't complain if there's a mismatch here, but won't play audio.

2: The LayerSection CD needs to be in your first disc drive by letter order to try to play audio (so if you have two CD drives D:\ and E:\, LayerSection needs to be in the D:\ drive). A lot of old games will just try to play CD audio from the first drive, this is usually a non-issue when using _inmm (since it will redirect the play calls anyway), but apparently LayerSection is special in that it checks for CD audio in the first drive before deciding whether or not to even try to play CD audio. Only game I've seen where this is an issue.

Reply 12 of 14, by Nariturbina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes yes yes yes you are a genius!!!! I checked the record with the editor and it was fine. Then I changed the letters of the disc drive so that the disc drive where I mounted the bin/cue image is the first and BUALA!!!! IT WORKED WITH MUSIC AND EVERYTHING!!!
I made a small batch so that when the game starts I started an Xppader profile and when I close the game I also close Xpadder: open Notepad and copies
@echo off
START /D "c:\Program Files\LayerSection" LayerSectionP1.xpadderprofile
START /wait /D "c:\Program Files\LayerSection" LS.exe
echo wait until kill LS.exe is finished
echo then kill Xpadder.exe
taskkill /im Xpadder.exe
Exit

and save it as LayerSection.bat then you have to create a shortcut to LayerSection.bat
And the profile of Xpadder I have it like this:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    86.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Nariturbina on 2018-02-13, 21:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nariturbina wrote:

Thank you very much ZellSF for the help and the time dedicated!! I would not have achieved it without your help!! Administrator, could we mark this topics as [SOLVED] please?

We don't really do that much here, but okay.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto