Toshiba T5200 mods and upgrades

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 534, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vipersan wrote:

it wraps around when set to 2018 ...and results in 1918 being displayed in win3.1

File Manager (Winfile) for Windows for Worgroups 3.11 got an Y2K update..
Several language versions are available at http://www.mdgx.com/w31toy.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 21 of 534, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A quick update Ian..
flashed 'T5200 Award 89 BIOS patch release 1' to one of the 1024 eproms ..
sadly still no boot response ..
So I guess my 5200 does indeed dislike the Award bios..
Oh well ..fingers crossed you can mod my original Phoenix bios.
rgds
VS

Reply 24 of 534, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From Vipersan's thread:

IanB wrote:
Also as the T3200SX BIOS is very similar, I've uploaded an attempt at applying the same patches to the T3200SX which is now beta […]
Show full quote
Vipersan wrote:

Very large hard drives I suspect are not catered for ..so for now at least your limit may be 528mb with a modified bios..

Also as the T3200SX BIOS is very similar, I've uploaded an attempt at applying the same patches to the T3200SX which is now beta 3
I'll attempt to patch the Phoenix BIOS for the T3200SX as well.

Let me know if the Phoenix one works on your system. Both of them work on my T5200s but it occurred to me that one reason for your problem might be that your video BIOS is different as well and only works with the Phoenix main BIOS.

Can you post a dump of your T5200's Video BIOS sometime in case it is updated like your main BIOS. (It's a 27C256 chip on the dual pcb board at the back of the unit which which should pull out when the access panel for the ISA slots is removed)

I sadly do not have an EEPROM burner, otherwise I would gladly try out your BIOS alterations for the T3200SX, but Vipersan thankfully now has a spare T3200SX, too to try them out.

The altered BIOS chip I got from a fellow vogoner has the hybrid version from HighTreason on it (PhoenixBIOS), which is supposedly a mix of the newest 03I video BIOS (it's supposed to be faster) together with the 03C main BIOS from what I can gather.

Info on the BIOS and what he did can be found here --> Toshiba T3200SX BIOS?

It works very well, although it basically defaults to the two settings "Normal" and "Advanced", which both result in 40MB drive settings. It seems that all drives (at least to 8 GB) are supported with that one, albeit due to the 40MB setting you kind of have to use overlay software always to make everything above 40MB usable. But every drive I threw at it so far seems to work, including SD2IDE adapters.

So maybe the Phoenix BIOS is needed for most compatibility? Please add any finding you have regarding the T3200SX into HighTreason's original thread as well. Thanks 😁

Reply 25 of 534, by IanB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are details for the external floppy drive mod. Use this info at your own risk, don't blame me if you damage your T5200!
Note that although general file access appears to work on a standard T5200, the OS will think the drive is a 1.2MB 5.25" floppy so booting and formatting won't work.
If you update your BIOS with any of the versions I posted earlier in this thread then these problems are fixed and the OS will recognise the drive as 1.44MB 3.5"

First fit a 34 way IDC header on to one end of a 34 way ribbon cable and then wire up the other end to a 25 way 'D' connector as follows:

wire 2 to pin 14 (Density select)
wire 4 not connected
wire 6 not connected
wire 8 to pin 2 (Index)
wire 10 not connected
wire 12 to pin 10 (Drive select)
wire 14 not connected
wire 16 to pin 11 (Motor on)
wire 18 to pin 16 (Direction)
wire 20 to pin 17 (Step)
wire 22 to pin 12 (Write data)
wire 24 to pin 13 (Write enable)
wire 26 to pin 3 (Track 0)
wire 28 to pin 4 (Write protect)
wire 30 to pin 5 (Read data)
wire 32 to pin 15 (Side select)
wire 34 to pin 6 (Disk changed)

wires 1,3 to pin 20 (Ground)
wires 5,7,9 to pin 21 (Ground)
wires 11,13,15 to pin 22 (Ground)
wires 17,19,21 to pin 23 (Ground)
wires 23,25,27 to pin 24 (Ground)
wires 29,31,33 to pin 25 (Ground)

Connect a 1N5818 schottky diode between pin 1 (ready) and pin 11 (Motor on) with the banded end towards pin 11

Cable + Gotek Floppy emulator:

FloppyCable1.jpg
Filename
FloppyCable1.jpg
File size
545.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

'D' Type connector pins 1-13

FloppyCable2.jpg
Filename
FloppyCable2.jpg
File size
657.28 KiB
Views
File license

'D' Type connector pins 14-25

FloppyCable3.jpg
Filename
FloppyCable3.jpg
File size
642.13 KiB
Views
File license

Closeup of modified Gotek emulator with flash floppy firmware, Oled display and rotary encoder mods

FloppyCable4.jpg
Filename
FloppyCable4.jpg
File size
460.83 KiB
Views
File license

To use: Plug the cable into the printer port and set the control switch on the left hand side of the keyboard to the "A" or "B" position depending on whether you want the external drive to be "A" or "B" (You can boot from it when set to "A")
Set the switch back to PRT to use the printer port as normal.

Last edited by IanB on 2018-02-04, 17:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 534, by IanB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The T5200 has 2MB of memory soldered on board and an expansion SIMM board with 6 and a half SIMM slots but uses proprietary 40 pin SIMMs.
Here are details on a mod to add 8MB of RAM using a standard 72 pin 8MB Parity SIMM. (Requires at least 2MB of proprietary SIMMs already fitted)
Use this info at your own risk, don't blame me if you damage your T5200!

simmslots.jpg
Filename
simmslots.jpg
File size
575.57 KiB
Views
File license

The above shows both empty and fully populated boards with the proprietary SIMMs
The SIMM slots are numbered from left to right IS17 (A & B), IS16 (A & B), IS15 (A & B) and IS14 (parity)
SIMMs must be fitted in pairs as they are only 16 bits wide and the processor is 32 bits wide. Each pair of SIMMs gives a 2MB expansion so the memory can be expanded by 2, 4 & 6MB (2 + 2 + 2) however the centre pair of SIMMs can take a larger SIMM pair of 8MB giving a total of 14MB memory (2 + 8 + 2 of SIMMs plus 2MB on board). The RAM chips on the 8MB SIMMs are larger than those on the 2MB SIMMs and there was insufficient room for the Parity chips so they are fitted separately on the 30pin SIMM (IS14). Note although this is a 30pin SIMM it is a proprietary pinout.

The memory size is detected in order left to right, so you must have a 2MB pair of SIMMs fitted before you can fit the 8MB pair + parity.
This means you must already have 2MB of standard SIMMs fitted in order to do the 8MB mod described below.
If you don't have any additional memory you can still mod your system but it will be more complicated and will be discussed in another post.

First you need to obtain a standard 72 pin 8MB Parity Fast Page Mode (FPM) SIMM and some 40 way ribbon cable (e.g. an old IDE cable)
Then use hot melt glue to stick this SIMM to the edge of the parity socket (IS14) making sure no electrical contact is made:

RAMmod1.jpg
Filename
RAMmod1.jpg
File size
957.51 KiB
Views
File license

Note the above board already has the required 2MB of standard SIMMs fitted as mentioned above. (You could optionally fit another 2MB in IS15 as well to give the maximum 14MB after this mod.)

Before proceeding any further, make sure there is enough clearance to fit the board back in the T5200. (You will almost certainly need to dismantle the T5200 completely to fit it back in)

Rip the ribbon cable back to 36 ways and cut into two strips approx 15cm (6in) long. Then using a ruler and sharp knife, score a line about 2mm from the end of one of the ribbon cables and do the same on the other side (not the other end) then pull the 2mm strip of insulation off using a pair of blunt nosed pliers. This should leave 36 wires exposed on the end of the ribbon.
Solder the exposed wires to pins 1-36 of the SIMM and then repeat this for the other ribbon, soldering to pins 37-72.

RAMmod2b.jpg
Filename
RAMmod2b.jpg
File size
949.21 KiB
Views
File license

Then turn the board over and solder the ribbon wires to the centre connector (IS16) according to the following table:
(I suggest wiring all the data lines first as they are all straight with no wires crossing)

Wire 1 to Pin 8 (Ground)
Wire 2 to Pin 2B (Data 0)
Wire 3 to Pin 2A (Data 16)
Wire 4 to Pin 3B (Data 1)
Wire 5 to Pin 3A (Data 17)
Wire 6 to Pin 4B (Data 2)
Wire 7 to Pin 4A (Data 18)
Wire 8 to Pin 5B (Data 3)
Wire 9 to Pin 5A (Data 19)
Wire 10 to Pin 1 (+5 VDC)
Wire 11 Not connected
Wire 12 to Pin 6 (Address 0)
Wire 13 to Pin 7 (Address 1)
Wire 14 to Pin 13 (Address 2)
Wire 15 to Pin 14 (Address 3)
Wire 16 to Pin 24 (Address 4)
Wire 17 to Pin 25 (Address 5)
Wire 18 to Pin 31 (Address 6)
Wire 19 Not connected
Wire 20 to Pin 9B (Data 4)
Wire 21 to Pin 9A (Data 20)
Wire 22 to Pin 10B (Data 5)
Wire 23 to Pin 10A (Data 21)
Wire 24 to Pin 11B (Data 6)
Wire 25 to Pin 11A (Data 22)
Wire 26 to Pin 12B (Data 7)
Wire 27 to Pin 12A (Data 23)
Wire 28 to Pin 32 (Address 7)
Wire 29 Not connected
Wire 30 to Pin 1 (+5 VDC)
Wire 31 to Pin 33 (Address 8 )
Wire 32 to Pin 34 (Address 9)
Wire 33 to Pin 20B (Row Address Strobe 3)
Wire 34 to Pin 17B (Row Address Strobe 2)
Wire 35 to Pin 22A (Parity bit 3 - bits 16-23)
Wire 36 to Pin 22B (Parity bit 1 - bits 0-7)

Wire 37 to Pin 18B (Parity bit 2 - bits 8-15)
Wire 38 to Pin 18A (Parity bit 4 - bits 24-31)
Wire 39 to Pin 23 (Ground)
Wire 40 to Pin 16B (Column Address Strobe 0)
Wire 41 to Pin 16A (Column Address Strobe 2)
Wire 42 to Pin 21A (Column Address Strobe 3)
Wire 43 to Pin 21B (Column Address Strobe 1)
Wire 44 to Pin 17A (Row Address Strobe 0)
Wire 45 to Pin 20A (Row Address Strobe 1)
Wire 46 Not connected
Wire 47 to Pin 19 (Read/Write)
Wire 48 Not connected
Wire 49 to Pin 26B (Data 8 )
Wire 50 to Pin 26A (Data 24)
Wire 51 to Pin 27B (Data 9)
Wire 52 to Pin 27A (Data 25)
Wire 53 to Pin 28B (Data 10)
Wire 54 to Pin 28A (Data 26)
Wire 55 to Pin 29B (Data 11)
Wire 56 to Pin 29A (Data 27)
Wire 57 to Pin 36B (Data 12)
Wire 58 to Pin 36A (Data 28)
Wire 59 to Pin 40 (+5 VDC)
Wire 60 to Pin 37A (Data 29)
Wire 61 to Pin 37B (Data 13)
Wire 62 to Pin 38A (Data 30)
Wire 63 to Pin 38B (Data 14)
Wire 64 to Pin 39A (Data 31)
Wire 65 to Pin 39B (Data 15)
Wire 66 Not connected
Wire 67 Not connected
Wire 68 Not connected
Wire 69 Not connected
Wire 70 Not connected
Wire 71 Not connected
Wire 72 to Pin 35 (Ground)

Note if a pin has "A" on the end it has to be soldered to the "A" side of IS16 and "B" means soldered to the "B" side of IS16
If no "A" or "B" is mentioned then either side can be used as they have the same signals, however note that the "A" and "B" sides have independent drivers so they are not connected together electrically. (The "A" side is the one closest to PJ1 - see second photo below)

RAMmod3.jpg
Filename
RAMmod3.jpg
File size
956.45 KiB
Views
File license

Note that wires 1 & 72 in this picture are connected to alternate ground points, not the pins detailed above.

Another view showing "A" and "B" rows :

RAMmod4B.jpg
Filename
RAMmod4B.jpg
File size
969.79 KiB
Views
File license

After finishing, double check your wiring and if you have a multimeter, do the following tests:
First make sure +5v and ground aren't shorted together, then check continuity between +5v on the pcb (e.g. the + side of the electrolytic capacitor) and the wires going to the 8MB SIMM listed above as +5v. Do the same for the ground lines.
Finally connect the board up, power up and hopefully your BIOS will detect the extra RAM.

Last edited by IanB on 2018-03-13, 03:08. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 27 of 534, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

nice job integrating the XTIDE BIOS,
i have a Sanyo Notebook with very similar BIOS, which seems to have lot of freespace on its 27C1024 ROM.
But i have no clue where to insert the XTIDE Stuff.

How did you managed this ?

The Device is a Sanyo 18NB Computer. (added BIOS File)

You can use 29C1024 for 27C1024. its Flash ROM.

Attachments

• Filename
    sanyo_18MB.7z
    File size
    42.88 KiB
    Downloads
    129 downloads
    File license

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 28 of 534, by IanB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote:

i have a Sanyo Notebook with very similar BIOS, which seems to have lot of freespace on its 27C1024 ROM.
But i have no clue where to insert the XTIDE Stuff.
How did you managed this ?

You put the XTIDE image in the free space and then make a small patch to the BIOS extension ROM scanning code so that it initialises XTIDE in it's new location.

Try this:

Filename
sanyo_18MB with XTIDE embedded beta1.zip
File size
54.09 KiB
Downloads
117 downloads
File license

I put a standard build of the 386 version of XTIDE in the ROM image.
Note this won't work with Windows 2/386 or Windows 3.0 due to workspace conflicts. It should work OK with Windows 3.1 or later.
I made a patched version of XTIDE for the T5200 which used some different workspace so I could run all versions of Windows in a multiboot setup but those changes may conflict with your BIOS so I used the standard version for now.
It might not work with an existing small drive unless that drive is repartioned and reformatted so test with a new larger drive if there is a problem.

Use at your own risk, it's completely untested.

If it works, you can replace the XTIDE part with any new or alternate build by overwriting the data at 0x15000 in the file and then updating the checksum byte at the end of the file.

Reply 29 of 534, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks unfortunaly i'm not fit in x86 asm, patching a bios is beyond my abilities.

i will try it when i get a "Empty ROM" 😀

i don't run Windows, the Machine only has 1mb RAM and even Windows 3.0 is no Fun with less then 2megs 😀
It seems Toshiba and Sanyo has also Similar Floppy Drive, i have a 26 Pin Drive inside too.
Seems your Floppy Cable mod should work here too 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 30 of 534, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, IanB, could you share what was involved in your processor upgrade? I know Cyrix/TI 386/486 upgrade CPUs are rare, but in case I can get one, I'd like to know... I see the 40mhz ones on ebay once in awhile... never see 20mhz, so I assume that's the hardware mods you had to make...

Also, what is the cause of the 528mb HD partition limit? I once partitioned a 6gb HD under DOS 6.22 into 3, 2gb partitions on my DOS desktop. if you replace the T5200's 100mb drive with a 4gb CF card, with the modified BIOS, would you still have to have a 528mb partition? Or could you have two, 2 gb partitions using drive overlay software?

Reply 31 of 534, by IanB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hamby wrote:

Hey, IanB, could you share what was involved in your processor upgrade? I know Cyrix/TI 386/486 upgrade CPUs are rare, but in case I can get one, I'd like to know... I see the 40mhz ones on ebay once in awhile... never see 20mhz, so I assume that's the hardware mods you had to make...

No, you can fit a 33Mhz or 40Mhz upgrade CPU in the T5200, it will just run at 20Mhz unless it has built in clock doubling. The hardware mods improve the performance of some of the upgrade CPUs but aren't essential and the CPUs will work if you plug them in without any mods albeit with reduced performance.
I'll go into more detail when I do a post describing the hardware mods

Hamby wrote:

Also, what is the cause of the 528mb HD partition limit? I once partitioned a 6gb HD under DOS 6.22 into 3, 2gb partitions on my DOS desktop. if you replace the T5200's 100mb drive with a 4gb CF card, with the modified BIOS, would you still have to have a 528mb partition? Or could you have two, 2 gb partitions using drive overlay software?

The 528MB limit was caused by a screwup in the design of the BIOS int13 interface which resticted the range of cylinders, heads & sectors and affected all systems of that era. An updated translating BIOS like XTIDE or a drive overlay program allows operating systems to access the rest of the drive.
DOS itself can access 8GB maximum although the FAT16 format is limited to 2GB so you can create a 2GB primary partition and a 6GB extended partition with three 2GB logical partitions in it giving four 2GB partitions max on an 8GB CF card. You don't need drive overlay software as XTIDE performs the same function.

Reply 32 of 534, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Ian ..
The simm arrived saturday ...and so I decided to make a start on the memory mod ..
It is double sided and quite thick so figured probably best to fit it flat ..
There is just enough room inside the last 40 pin simm slot to superglue 2x nylon M1 bolts though these have to be eased apart slightly to mate with the holes in the simm stick ..
It looks as though it might provide a good mount and thus I can mount the memory flat- ish
See pics ..
Let me know if you foresee any problems before I make this permanent ..
rgds
VS

Attachments

• DSCF0084.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0084.JPG
    File size
    324.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0083.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0083.JPG
    File size
    334.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCF0082.JPG
    Filename
    DSCF0082.JPG
    File size
    317.62 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 33 of 534, by IanB

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vipersan wrote:

Let me know if you foresee any problems before I make this permanent ..

Don't see any significant issue with that mounting, although the cable length will be slightly longer. The only issue I can see is that the superglued nylon bolts will easily break off the PCB surface if stressed, perhaps hot melt glue or a combination of both would be better.
I only mounted mine the way I did because I already had the extra 2MB of proprietary SIMMs to go from 12MB to 14MB so I have them plugged into IS15:

simmmod.jpg
Filename
simmmod.jpg
File size
929.81 KiB
Views
File license

That type of mounting could be the answer for someone who doesn't have the first 2MB of proprietary SIMMs as they could mount a second SIMM in a similar way and daisy chain all the wires from the first simm except the RAS lines.

BTW if you want to shorten the ribbon cable you could connect all the lines to the same pin numbers on the IS15 pair instead of the IS16 pair as they all have the same signals except the four RAS lines which have to go to the pins on IS16. (I know using the signals from other slots is OK because thats how my triple SIMM mod works).
It's also probably a good idea to take some photos while you are wiring in the ribbon cable so that layers of wiring can be checked if you have a problem. It's easy to make an "off by one " error when doing this mod.

Also, before wrapping the cable around you might want to fit a couple of 100uF low ESR electrolytic caps across C22 and C15 (negative sides pointing to each other) which I found fixed an occasional freezing issue with Windows NT (didn't affect DOS or Windows 95). This problem only happened when one of the high performance upgrade processors was fitted and even affected the machine with only original proprietary SIMMs so wasn't being caused by the RAM mod itself. Win NT stresses the PSU and introduces ripple on the +5v line by using the HLT instruction to stop the processor when idle and this was causing instability that this cap mod seems to have fixed.
You have to wrap the caps around the board leaving enough room for the ribbon cable and might need to cover the long exposed wires with sleeving to avoid shorts.

caps.jpg
Filename
caps.jpg
File size
831.12 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 34 of 534, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will indeed add re-enforcement with hot melt glue ...
It can only help ..
Also ...I'm going to use multicoloured ribbon that follows the resistor colour code ..which may help me make less errors ..
my eyes are not good.
rgds
VS

Reply 35 of 534, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ian, have I told you that you're the man?

You're the man!!!

Had a friend visit today with his EPROM programmer and UV eraser. The patched '90 award BIOS worked flawlessly at once! I can finally run every type of HDD and boot from every floppy I want 😎

Many, many thanks!

Reply 36 of 534, by kultakala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
This is the topic i was looking for!
I have two T5200/100 which are fine except on both machines the floppy does not work.
At first i have no intention to upgrade other things like RAM, CPU or different harddisk, just want to be able to get software onto the toshiba.
So i guess to make an adapter cable like Ian described should make it possible to get a normal floppy drive working without further modifications ?

My first T5200 was built in Japan in 1988 according to the date codes on the ICs.
There is no actual BIOS, i can only start setup via the test3.exe from the DOS path and it shows no time or date in it and is just plain text, without ascii graphics.
Does not look like any i saw here as a screenshot. Seems to be a very old bios. It runs DOS 4.11.
Second one was built in the US in 1992. It has a more modern BIOS (Award ?) and runs DOS 6.22 with Win 3.1 installed.

Because the case and keyboard of the older one is better and has less screws to open it i swapped the mainboard from newer one and it still works fine but the floppy.

So, first thing would be get a floppy working and then install Win 3.11 and some other software, that would be great.
If i would like to change the BIOS to swap the Conner disk against something else... would it be possible to use any newer patched BIOS or would i need to stick with the version which is installed now ?

Regards,
Olaf

Reply 37 of 534, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Olaf ..and welcome..
Some amazing work being done here by Ian and others..
Yes you should be able to replace the bios chip with one programmed to allow drives other than the Conor to be used ...
as to the floppy ..
Ian has provided details to make a new IDC lead which allows a standard 1.44 floppy drive to be used in place of the proprietory Toshiba drive ..
All the info you need is in this thread ..so really it is just down to your abilities to implemement the mods..
rgds
VS

Reply 38 of 534, by kultakala

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Vipersan:
Yes, Ian pointed me to this thread here within a different forum.
I already tried to make my own adapter cable but it did not work but i was not aware of some of those toshiba specialities 😉
Hopefully i will get the floppy working with the cable layout from this thread.

I have no equipment to burn the bios by myself... have to check if my local electronics store can do that for me...

Thanks so far!

Regards,
Olaf

Reply 39 of 534, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kultakala wrote:
@Vipersan: Yes, Ian pointed me to this thread here within a different forum. I already tried to make my own adapter cable but it […]
Show full quote

@Vipersan:
Yes, Ian pointed me to this thread here within a different forum.
I already tried to make my own adapter cable but it did not work but i was not aware of some of those toshiba specialities 😉
Hopefully i will get the floppy working with the cable layout from this thread.

I have no equipment to burn the bios by myself... have to check if my local electronics store can do that for me...

Thanks so far!

Regards,
Olaf

Hi again Olaf ..
All I can say is that Ians adapter cable definately works ...
I can confirm this as I'm using one on my 5200 atm ..
rgds
VS