VOGONS

First post, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to play around a bit with installing Windows 9x on top of DOSBox ECE and tried to increase the maximum memory size to 256 MB. So far I only found this setting in src\hardware\memory.cpp:

#define MAX_MEMORY	256

This alone doesn't seem to suffice, though, trying it with any memsize > 64 MB DOSBox resets the memory to the 64 MB limit at startup.

128 is outside the allowed range 1-63 for variable: memsize.
It has been set to the closest boundary: 63.
Memory sizes above 31 MB are NOT recommended.
Stick with the default values unless you are absolutely certain.

Where else do I have to change something to increase the maximum available size?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 3 of 5, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the double post, but that alone doesn't seem to enable more memory. Don't I have to increase it in EMM and XMS as well?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 4 of 5, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Attached the patch for official DOSBox SVN to support max memory of 383MB for Windows 9x. This was created around SVN r3966-ish. You will have to see if it still applicable, or you will need to merge by hand. The official DOSBox, which has a focus on DOS games, never thinks any DOS games will require more than 64MB. Win9x was not officially supported.

Attachments

• Filename
    bigmem_384M.txt
    File size
    2.04 KiB
    Downloads
    315 downloads
    File comment
    383MB max memory for Win9x
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 5, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you, kjliew! It looks good so far, at least the memory shows up right in DOSBox now.