VOGONS

Need help with Speed Racer

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay . . . so it worked just like it did before (I guess the 'command.com' file I was using before was identical). It said "INSTALLATION COMPLETE - To Play 'Speed Racer' Type SR"
Which I did, and the same exact thing as I mentioned in my earlier post happened again . . ."stub exec failed: dos4gw.exe - no such file or directory.".

Reply 21 of 31, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And I didn't install to C:\SPEED . . . the install folder is actually named: SpeedR. I installed form that folder and the installer created a new folder called "SPEED" as it did last time.

Reply 22 of 31, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Mr. Eeee wrote:
After starting DOSBox (the new one I just DLed BTW), I type: mount c ~/games/dosgames/ (then hit return) Then I type: c: Then I […]
Show full quote

After starting DOSBox (the new one I just DLed BTW), I type:
mount c ~/games/dosgames/ (then hit return)
Then I type: c:
Then I type: cd speed (the folder the game is in)
Then I type: install.exe

You said before that you're running the install from C:\SPEED, though.

I suggest reading the 60 seconds guide in the guides section. The proper way to install is to mount a floppy drive or floppy images as the A: drive, because installing with all of the files from the floppies copied to C: does not always work.

Reply 23 of 31, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got confused with my typing. To be clear . . . there a two Speed Racer Folders . . . "SpeedR" is the folder with the installer and the 3 game disks. "SPEED" is the actual game folder which the installer created (I trashed the one I made earlier before trying the game install again).

I will check that guide you're talking about. It's clear to me that the installer isn't working right. I saw the installer say "copying from Disk 1" at one point, but never saw it say it was copying from the other disks. Hopefully mounting an "A" drive will work.

This old command line stuff is very tricky and mysterious. Thanks for the advise (from everyone). I hope to have a successful update for you soon. 😀

Reply 24 of 31, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really hate to be a pest here, but there is not one word about A: drives in that '60 Second' FAQ. All it talks about is C: and D: drives. I looked at every FAQ I thought might be applicable and I ran a site search on A: drives---nothing. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it and I even ran a google search on how to mount an A: drive. The only thing I found was a command on Wikipedia with no explanation . . .
Z:\>MOUNT A A:\ -t floppy
I don't really even understand that but it looks to me that its a command to mount an actual physical floppy drive (which wouldn't help me even if I had a Floppy drive as the Disk files I have are .exe's).

Anyways, if one of you guys can tell me where to find the right instructions (or just tell me what commands to use) to mount these disk.exe files as a floppy drive or whatever, I would be grateful.
Thanks again!

Reply 25 of 31, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Further search has led to some success. I found a command to mount a folder on my hard drive as a floppy . . .
mount a ~/games/dosgames/speedr/ -t floppy
And it worked. It says: Drive A is mounted as local directory.
Next I type: A: and that works as well.
I then type: dir and sure enough, there are the three Disk.exe files (as well as the install.exe).

So I try running install.exe again (with it mounted as a floppy) . . . "INSTALL STOPPED!" with no further explanation.
Maybe I try running the three disk.exe files? --I dunno.

Reply 27 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think it's just the end of thr lne if you don't use the original floppies or at least images of them.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 28 of 31, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As I mentioned before, some installers work okay with the files from all floppies copied into a single folder, but some don't. The Speed Racer installer is one of those that don't.

It's possible to use a folder to install from, but it's important that the folder only contains files for one floppy at a time. In this case the folder should initially contain INSTALL.EXE and DISK1.EXE; and when the installer prompts for disk 2, use the host system to delete all the files in the folder and copy in DISK2.EXE; and when prompted for disk 3 do the same but for DISK3.EXE. Of course this process would not be necessary if using a floppy drive or images of the floppies.

Use the following commands in DOSBox, then follow the procedure described above.

mount c ~/games/dosgames/
c:
copy z:\command.com c:
mount a ~/games/dosgames/speedr/ -t floppy
a:
install

Reply 29 of 31, by Mr. Eeee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay cool! Thanks a lot ripsaw!

I have a feeling that might work because as I was searching around, I did find some instructions on installing games on multiple floppys (on .iso's) and they were talking about loading disks when prompted.

You guys here are really great. I appreciate the help!

Reply 31 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Newbie but not dumb 😉
Great that you succeded and didn't give up!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper