VOGONS

Reply 80 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As even my latest approach towards the Retro 1 slot seems to have its flaws, I'm currently evaluating this system... The used motherboard has Windows 98 support, and I'm currently running Windows 98SE on it. I'm going to test a lot of the stuff I wanted to run on Retro 1 again to find out how well it all behaves with this system and its high CPU speed. If native Win9x games don't have any issues, this system could be a very good alternative because it provides a lot of CPU power for DOSBox. MIDI is taken care of by the Roland Edirol UM-1 which has Windows 98 support. Of course, this system is only partially "retro" when it comes to hardware, but for me, the end justifies the means 😎

Retro 1 (Candidate):

System specifications:

• CPU: Intel Pentium E5800 3.2GHz
    Cooler: Thermalright AXP-200 + TY-147A
    Mainboard: Asrock 775i65G R3.03
    RAM: Corsair 512MB PC-3200 CL2.5 (2x 256MB)
    PSU: be quiet! BQT E9-450W Straight Power E9 450W
    Case: Compucase CI-7106W ATX

Add-in cards:

• PCI1: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 1024
    PCI2: Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    PCI3: 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI 64MB + 2x Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX

Drives:

• FDD: Alps Floppy Drive
    SSD: Intel SSDSC2CW060A310 60GB
    ODD: Plextor PX-740A

I/O Devices (via KVM):

• Display: Eizo FlexScan F520
    Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Speaker: Canton Plus Media 3

MIDI Devices:

• Roland Edirol UM-1 (USB MIDI interface)
    Roland Edirol UM-550 (5 in/5 out MIDI patcher, provides access to the CM-32L and SC-55 for currently three systems)
    Roland CM-32L
    Roland SC-55

A few pictures of the system:

• retro1_mb.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_mb.JPG
    File size
    676.09 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    System Overview
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
    retro1_ram.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_ram.JPG
    File size
    554.38 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    2x 256MB Corsair PC-3200
    File license
    retro1_vga.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_vga.JPG
    File size
    850.68 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Voodoo5 5500 PCI
    File license
    retro1_sb.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_sb.JPG
    File size
    816.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sound Blaster Live! 1024
    File license

Edit:
- Updated mouse

Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2018-02-12, 10:41. Edited 1 time in total.

END OF LINE.

Reply 81 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...Continued from above. More pictures:

• retro1_ssd.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_ssd.JPG
    File size
    484.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Intel SSD
    File license
    retro1_psu.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_psu.JPG
    File size
    604.25 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    be quiet! PSU
    File license
    retro1_fdd+odd.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_fdd+odd.JPG
    File size
    549.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Alps Floppy & Plextor DVD
    File license
    retro1_detail.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_detail.JPG
    File size
    570.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Case badge
    File license

And the MIDI rack...

• retro1_midi.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_midi.JPG
    File size
    397.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    MIDI rack
    File license

END OF LINE.

Reply 82 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a quick overview of the software side of the current test system. Windows 98SE is running OK so far once the system has started. I had one issue with the Roland Edirol UM-1. Using the latest Win98 driver from Roland's support webpage, the system would refuse to load Windows. I had to remove the driver after starting the safe mode. Using the older driver from the supplied CD-ROM I had no issues (this was the driver I had tested on the 1.1GHz Coppermin/CUBX-E system). I just wanted to install the latest driver now, which obviously wasn't a good idea for some reason. Anyhow, MIDI is working and that's all I need here 😉

As I mentioned before, I'm currently thinking about expanding Retro 1's intended use based on the extremely powerful hardware in this test system. Therefore, I started adding further games, like X-Wing and TIE Fighter (both the non-Windows CD version) and Dark Forces. I haven't installed the remaining X-Wing games and Jedi Knight yet, but this will happen ASAP. I connected my old MS SideWinder Precision Pro and it was detected by the MS SideWinder software and worked OK in DOSBox, as far as I can tell (I flew one of the training missions in X-Wing). I can't remember the key assignments of these old games. I'll have to dig out the manuals or look that up online.

Games currently installed, missing ones in italics (* DOSBox):

Adventures:

• - The Secret Of Monkey Island (EGA, English)*
    - The Secret Of Monkey Island (CD-ROM, English)*
    - Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge (English)*
    - Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis (CD-ROM/Talkie, English)*
    - Day Of The Tentacle (CD-ROM/Talkie, English)*
    - Sam & Max - Hit The Road (CD-ROM/Talkie, English)*
    - Full Throttle (English)*
    - The Dig (English)*
    - The Curse Of Monkey Island (English)
    - Grim Fandango (English)
    - Escape From Monkey Island (English)

(Space) Flight Simulation:

• - Star Wars: X-Wing (Collector's CD-ROM, English)*
    - Star Wars: TIE Fighter (Collector's CD-ROM, English)*
    - Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter - Balance Of Power (English)
    - Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (English)

Action:

• - Star Wars: Dark Forces (English)*
    - Outlaws (English)
    - Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II (English)
    - Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Mysteries Of The Sith (English)
    - Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine (English)

Miscellaneous:

• - Star Wars: Behind The Magic (English)

Screenshots:

• retro1_desktop.jpg
    Filename
    retro1_desktop.jpg
    File size
    503.2 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Desktop (Windows 98SE)
    File license
    retro1_system_properties.jpg
    Filename
    File size
    45.6 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    System Properties (Pentium E5800 detected as Pentium III)
    File license
    retro1_device_manager.jpg
    Filename
    File size
    212.62 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Device Manager
    File license
    retro1_installed_software.jpg
    Filename
    File size
    63.59 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Installed Software
    File license

Edit:
- Added games

Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2018-02-15, 08:56. Edited 1 time in total.

END OF LINE.

Reply 83 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On a side note, I managed to get some NIB items of the Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical (USB & PS/2, retail, last revision) as well as a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro 😀 As I now have spares for my input devices I decided to replace the Logitech mouse I had been using during setting up all my systems to kind of save my own IntelliMouse Optical from deterioration. The Logitech mouse was OK for being a budget model (it was one of the very few devices that could be bought new and would still support PS/2), but it is no match for the IntelliMouse Optical. It felt almost like using the Steelseries Sensei of my main rig... Almost 😉

So, as of yesterday, my good old Natural Keyboard Pro has, after quite some time, a matching companion again, the IntelliMouse Optical 😎

Therefore, I installed IntelliType Pro and IntelliPoint on my test system (as can be seen in the screenshots of the previous post).

END OF LINE.

Reply 84 of 134, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No love for Rogue Squadron? I was so hooked when I first played it!

I also love those MS Intellimice. Its the only mouse that I've actually worn down from so much usage: the left mouse click would be difficult to press and the scroll wheel would rotate almost freely. I retired it and ever since I've been looking for another one, NIB, to take its place.

So, as usual, I'm hardware jealous 😜

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 85 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, another update... It has been a while, I was (and am) quite busy with other stuff. I'm still in middle of installing and testing games whenever I have time for that.

Outlaws is quite "interesting"... I really had a hard time getting CD audio to work. No music would be playing when using the *.bin/*.cue files of the discs. But it wouldn't even play using the original discs... Then I tried renaming Olwin.exe, that didn't work. I switched drive letters around, no success. I tried an analogue CD audio cable, that didn't work too. Then I added a digital CD audio cable, and now it worked. I'll have to see whether I can find out why all the other stuff didn't work, especially the analogue cable. In the SB Live! mixer, all inputs are unmuted (CD Audio, CD Audio digital, Line in, Mic In etc.). Well, at least it did work finally.

While struggling with Outlaws, the left speaker suddenly no longer had a signal. I traced this to a faulty cable connection. Of course, this connection is the only connection I cannot reach without disassembling the entire cable harness... One cinch connector had become so loose it would just slide off its socket. Don't ask me how, I don't know. Luckily, I had a spare cable of the right length and so that's all back in working order. It took me three evenings to trace down the issue to this connection, replace the cable and reassemble the cable harness 😒

During the Jedi Knight + expansion installation, I encountered another interesting thing I already had forgotten. Jedi Knight worked alright, CD music playing. But with Mysteries Of The Sith there was no music. Digging around, I found an older thread that implied there actually were two versions of this CD-ROM, one with audio tracks and one without. Now I suddenly knew why I had a second CD-ROM of Mysteries Of The Sith lying around. This second one actually had the audio tracks. The most significant difference is that one has the "PC CD-ROM" logo (no audio tracks) and the other one has the "CD Digital Audio" logo (audio tracks) on it.

Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine is as buggy as I remembered it. It won't even start right. After loading I end up with the camera locked at the sky and I have to enter the graphics settings and then return to the game to actually have it looking normal... Well, I'll have to see whether a patch corrects this or if it remains this way. And I think I'll have to invest a lot of time into the control scheme. Mouse + keyboard feels almost unplayable. Maybe I'll have to switch to a game pad to make this work better. Slightly annoying. This could very well be the reason why I never completed this game 😉

slivercr wrote:

No love for Rogue Squadron? I was so hooked when I first played it!

I must admit that I haven't played this game back then extensively. Maybe I should give it another chance.

slivercr wrote:

I also love those MS Intellimice. Its the only mouse that I've actually worn down from so much usage: the left mouse click would be difficult to press and the scroll wheel would rotate almost freely. I retired it and ever since I've been looking for another one, NIB, to take its place.

Back then, my first optical mouse was the original IntelliMouse Explorer. I loved it. When it finally died, it was replaced with the IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0, which I'm still using on my "office" PC today. It survived many years of gaming abuse and is still working like a charm! I had an IntelliMouse Optical sometime in between and this one was very good too (although I prefer the side buttons in the Explorer style, both on one side). Now, I feel safe enough to use it again, thanks to my newly aquired backups 😀

I was very lucky when I recently found several of those NIB via a store liquidation. They weren't cheap, but what are the odds of ever finding this stuff again? So I bought all that were left. And one Natural Keyboard Pro. My original from 1999 or so is still working, after being my gaming keyboard until the SideWinder X6 (which unfortunately didn't last long until the first keys didn't work anymore). Now I'm using a Filco Majestouch-2 on my main PC. My Natural Keyboard Pro has been driving my retro machines ever since. Finally, I have backup for it too!

slivercr wrote:

So, as usual, I'm hardware jealous 😜

That's exactly the same feeling I have whenever I read your Outrigger thread 🤣

END OF LINE.

Reply 86 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been busy for a long while with other stuff and had no time to post any updates. Today, I finally have some time to write about (little) what I have done in the meantime.

I had been testing the Asrock 775i65G R3.0 build a while and my conclusion is that the motherboard and/or its BIOS is subpar. At least when it comes to Win98 support (I didn't test anything else as I am not interested in using this motherboard for anything else). Once I get it to boot flawlessly, Win98 will run fine. But often it just won't boot because it doesn't correctly detects the SATA devices in compatibility mode (IDE). Another issue is Win98 taking forever to boot and very often throwing errors (like being unable to write to C: etc.) that will go away after rebooting. Overall, the system would be fine if you would just leave it running 24/7 once it is running. But this is of course nonsense. Over the time, all the issues really annoyed me and I started thinking again about other solutions.

I went with the Asus P5PE-VM. It is a very similar motherboard and it supports a lot of Core2 CPUs too. I chose the Core2 Duo E4700 as it is the nicest PSB 800MHz CPU the motherboard supports. It is of course fast enough for what I am going to do with the system (so I don't care at all not being able to run the Pentium E5800 on this motherboard). I had to slightly bend two caps north of the socket in order to get the heat sink retention module mounted. And some connectors have been placed in strange places (e.g. SATA 1&2 directly in line with PCI slot 3). But that's all, the ATX power connector is definitely better placed than on the Asrock motherboard which is a huge plus when using large and relatively low-height heat sinks like the Thermalright AXP-200.

After playing around with the P5PE-VM for some weeks now I have to say that I am very satisfied with the results so far. It ran Prime95 on a testbench assembly for many hours without issues, it boots Win98 pretty fast and fine (and this every time, not like a certain Asrock motherboard I have mentioned earlier) and overall is almost trouble-free. The only issue I have found so far is minor. The BIOS will recognize the V5 PCI as a graphics card but it won't turn off the onboard graphics card. This has virtually no impact on the system's usability and does not really bother me. I was just not expecting seeing two graphics cards in the device manager, that's all. And I can always deactivate it right there, of course.

Because I had everything disassembled anyway, I have exchanged the Sound Blaster Live! (CT4760) for an Audigy2 (SB0240). The Audigy2 is a better sound card in every aspect and it still supports Win98 (an Audigy2 ZS would be even better, but I already use it in another system). Although setting that card up in Win98 is kind of the opposite of straight-forward. I have no idea how they could say they support Win98 with a setup routine like that... But back then when I bought it I was already on WinXP anyway and didn't notice. The Audigy 1 was the last sound card I had originally used under Win98.

My next step now is installing Windows 98SE (after fiddling around with the test installation) and getting the system ready for games to go on with the testing I have started on the Asrock motherboard. Pictures and detailed specifications of the system will follow shortly.

END OF LINE.

Reply 87 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As described earlier, my slightly overpowered Windows 98SE system in its first revision was not really running smoothly and so I decided to further change it. This is the current iteration...

Retro 1 (Lucasfilm/LucasArts Games):

System specifications:

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E4700 2.60GHz (CPU-Z)
    Cooler: Thermalright AXP-200 + TY-147A
    Mainboard: Asus P5PE-VM
    RAM: Corsair 512MB PC-3200 CL2.5 (2x 256MB)
    PSU: be quiet! BQT E9-450W Straight Power E9 450W
    Case: Compucase CI-7106W ATX

Add-in cards:

• PCI1: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2
    PCI2: Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    PCI3: 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI 64MB + 2x Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX

Drives:

• FDD: Alps Floppy Drive
    SSD: Intel SSDSC2CW060A310 60GB
    ODD: Plextor PX-740A

Game Controllers:

• Gameport: Microsoft SideWinder Game Pad
    USB: Microsoft SideWinder Precision Pro (via Microsoft USB to Gameport adapter)

I/O Devices (via KVM):

• Display: Eizo FlexScan F520
    Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Speaker: Canton Plus Media 3

MIDI Devices:

• Roland Edirol UM-1 (USB MIDI interface)
    Roland Edirol UM-550 (5 in/5 out MIDI patcher, provides access to the CM-32L and SC-55 for currently three systems)
    Roland CM-32L
    Roland SC-55

Operating System:

Overview of currently installed Software: Link

A few pictures of the system:

• retro1_mb.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_mb.JPG
    File size
    757.67 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    System Overview
    File license
    retro1_cpu+ram.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_cpu+ram.JPG
    File size
    841.85 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Core2 Duo E4700 & 2x 256MB Corsair PC-3200
    File license
    retro1_vga.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_vga.JPG
    File size
    779.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Voodoo5 5500 PCI
    File license
    retro1_sb.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_sb.JPG
    File size
    815.58 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sound Blaster Audigy2 (with Gameport bracket)
    File license

Edit:
- Removed the "Candidate" status
- Added Game Controllers
- Added links

Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2018-05-02, 10:18. Edited 6 times in total.

END OF LINE.

Reply 88 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...Continued from above. More pictures:

• retro1_ssd.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_ssd.JPG
    File size
    507.3 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Intel SSD
    File license
    retro1_psu.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_psu.JPG
    File size
    634.32 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    be quiet! PSU
    File license
    retro1_fdd+odd.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_fdd+odd.JPG
    File size
    549.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Alps Floppy & Plextor DVD
    File license
    retro1_detail.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_detail.JPG
    File size
    570.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Case badge
    File license

And the MIDI rack...

• retro1_midi.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_midi.JPG
    File size
    397.64 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    MIDI rack
    File license

END OF LINE.

Reply 89 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Taking over from the previous system configuration, here's what it looks like now. Still, two games aren't installed yet. Overall, the system now really feels like a very good one. No new issues came up. I'm really happy with it at the moment!

• retro1_desktop.jpg
    Filename
    retro1_desktop.jpg
    File size
    217.88 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Desktop (Windows 98SE)
    File license
    Filename
    File size
    47.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    System Properties
    File license
    Filename
    File size
    211.12 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Device Manager
    File license

Edit:
- Removed list of installed games as this is now contained in another post

Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2018-05-02, 10:47. Edited 2 times in total.

END OF LINE.

Reply 90 of 134, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Surely the two fans on the voodoo could be replaced with one larger fan on a bracket set at a 45-degree or so angle facing the card and the back of the case, and the back pci slot covers replaced with ventilated ones to let out the exhaust.

Reply 91 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already posted a few comparison images to highlight the image quality improvement of the decade-long unmatched FSAA of the VSA-100 (4x RGSSAA in case of the V5 5500). Links to those posts can be found at this thread's intro or here and here.

During the last few days I was busy setting up the Win9x games I want to run on this system. While testing their settings I took screenshots with activated FSAA again, so people who know those games can compare this to what those games are looking like on their systems. All games are in their original state (but patched to the latest version when applicable). Except for the high detail mod for Jedi Knight and Mysteries Of The Sith, but the only change is that always the highest detailed model is used, regardless of the distance to the player (so no changed textures etc.). Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine isn't patched. I tried the 1.2 upgrade, but with that, the game wouldn't even start a level, always crashes after the loading has finished. Without patch, no such issues are present.

• jk1.png
    Filename
    jk1.png
    File size
    528.67 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Star Wars - Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight (Level 1)
    File license
    mots.png
    Filename
    mots.png
    File size
    277.14 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Star Wars - Jedi Knight - Mysteries Of The Sith (Level 1)
    File license
    j3d.png
    Filename
    j3d.png
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Indiana Jones And The Infernal Machine (Level 1)
    File license

On all screenshots, 4x RGSSAA is activated which generates very smooth angled borders. The resolution is 1024x768, but with 4x RGSSAA it looks like a totally different thing. Especially when looking at distant objects in motion. The FSAA of GeForce or Radeon cards couldn't keep up with the quality of 3dfx's FSAA implementation for many graphics card generations. That's why I felt let down for many years after 3dfx was gone.

I wanted to include a screenshot of Outlaws in Glide mode, but the "print screen" method wouldn't work with that one... I didn't see an internal screenshot capture option and had no time to investigate on this yet.

My main task at the moment is working my way through The Dig again. This one unfortunately was too much in certain situations on my P3 1.1 based Retro 1 system. I have already reached that specific puzzle again and on this system, everything works fine, no issues with the background music when holding the mouse button for longer than a few seconds. So, that looks... well, sounds good too. But of course, it was to be expected, that a Core2 Duo E4700 is fast enough for this task in DOSBox...

END OF LINE.

Reply 92 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vvbee wrote:

Surely the two fans on the voodoo could be replaced with one larger fan on a bracket set at a 45-degree or so angle facing the card and the back of the case, and the back pci slot covers replaced with ventilated ones to let out the exhaust.

Oh yes, they could. But the two fans are quiet (and by the same time moving more air at a higher pressure than the original ones). Also, they keep this a 2-slot card. Once I decide to really make this system "permanent", I could start thinking about further improving the card's cooling, regardless of consumed space. There already is an 80mm fan blowing directly across the card from the case front which can't be seen on the pictures. Ventilated brackets are however a very good idea, this would further support the 80mm chassis fan. Thanks!

END OF LINE.

Reply 93 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently, I felt like doing something different for a change... So I started setting up Retro 3. The system was sitting there untouched since I put it together last summer. It fired up without any issue. The plan was to use Windows XP Pro SP2. Primarily, the system would use a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, but especially for Splinter Cell, I wanted the option to put in a GeForce4 Ti4600 (because of the buffer shadows). After some consideration I went with a dual installation plus boot manager. One installation is for the FX 5900 Ultra, having all games installed but Splinter Cell. The other installation is then of course for the Ti4600, containing Splinter Cell. This way, getting ready for Splinter Cell is just a matter of opening the case and replacing the graphics card. After partitioning the SSD and fiddling around with the OS installation and the boot manager, everything now works as intended. I have two individual installations, and I can choose what to boot depending on the installed graphics card. Both installations are activated and the activation files have been backed up to a secure location in case I'd have to reinstall the system. An overnight run of Prime95 completed without any issues. The system is now ready for some games!

• retro3_post.JPG
    Filename
    retro3_post.JPG
    File size
    491.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    POST (Nice little Extreme Edition logo...)
    File license
    retro3_boot-us_selection.jpg
    Filename
    retro3_boot-us_selection.jpg
    File size
    466.91 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Boot-US OS Selection
    File license
    retro3_boot-us_gui.jpg
    Filename
    retro3_boot-us_gui.jpg
    File size
    91.38 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Boot-US Partition Overview
    File license
    retro3_system_properties.jpg
    Filename
    retro3_system_properties.jpg
    File size
    122.47 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    System Properties
    File license
    retro3_device_manager.jpg
    Filename
    retro3_device_manager.jpg
    File size
    149.85 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Device Manager
    File license

I've already downloaded a few installers from gog.com. If those versions work, I don't have to deal with my original discs. For some games of course, there is no way around this, just because there is no digitial distribution version available (e.g. American McGee's Alice, Black & White, Soldier Of Fortune II - Double Helix).

Edit:
- Removed list of installed games as this is now contained in another post

Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2018-05-02, 10:26. Edited 1 time in total.

END OF LINE.

Reply 94 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have decided to go with the Core2 Duo E4700 as the new Retro 1 system. Of course, this system is very far away from the initial Pentium Pro 200 1M system when it comes to the hardware related "retro feel", but form follows function. The intended use statement initially was to run my favorite Lucasfilm/LucasArts adventures on a single machine. This wasn't possible on the previous revisions running real DOS (Pentium Pro & Pentium MMX). The Pentium III 1.1 build was very close (although "cheating" by using DOSBox), but still failed in the end. Going with a heavily overpowered socket 775 build with Windows 98 support worked out pretty well in my case. All the Windows based games run fine, thanks to Voodoo5 & Audigy2, and everything else just runs via DOSBox which now has a powerful CPU at its side to provide more than enough CPU cycles.

Although I still have to install some games and then actually enjoy them, I really feel like needing a break from Retro 1. That's why I started working on Retro 3 on the weekend already and will continue to focus on Retro 2 - 4 over the next weeks.

The plan is to have all of them "game-ready", i.e. boot manager configured, all OS & SP installed, all drivers & necessary tools installed.

For Retro 2 I'm thinking about adding another SSD. Originally, I wanted to put all OS installations on a single SSD, but that would result in at least three installations, plus shared data partition. The build primarily uses an AGP Voodoo5, but I can (and want to) also use my Voodoo5 6000 on this motherboard. So I'll install Windows 98SE & Windows 2000 Pro SP4 for the regular system (Voodoo5), and whatever OS I choose to be the most useful for the Voodoo5 6000. As I don't know that yet, and I don't want to mess with the regular system, I will separate the Voodoo5 6000 installation and put it on another SSD. When I change graphics cards, I'll just move the data cable to the other SSD. This way, I can focus on getting the primary side of Retro 2 finalized without having to include the somehow "uncharted waters" of the Voodoo5 6000 software infrastructure which might very well end up as another time killer. Also, this gives me a lot more space on the original SSD for games 😉

Retro 3 is already "game-ready" as stated on the weekend. I currently have the FX 5900 Ultra installed and am fiddling around with the Star Wars - Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast configuration to optimize the image & sound quality.

With Retro 4 it should be pretty straight forward, like with Retro 3. Dual-boot, this time with two different OS but no hardware (graphics card) switching.

END OF LINE.

Reply 95 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
voodoo5_6k wrote:

With Retro 4 it should be pretty straight forward, like with Retro 3. Dual-boot, this time with two different OS but no hardware (graphics card) switching.

I've been working on Retro 4 on the weekend. Most work for this machine has been completed. The system dual boots Windows XP Pro SP3 and Vista Business 64-bit SP2 without any issues (as expected). All drivers are installed as well as most of the tools I think I'll be needing. I want to complete the remaining installations today and then activate both installations (and then backup the activations to allow for an easier reinstall if required). This will make Retro 4 "game-ready" and I'll then shift my focus towards Retro 2.

For Retro 2, as outlined in the previous post, I'll first concentrate on the regular Voodoo5 AGP installations and getting these "game-ready" too. The Voodoo5 6000 will be paired with a separate SSD as a way to secure the regular system. On this additional SSD I can mess around testing the Voodoo5 6000 without affecting the regular gaming system. Getting Retro 2 "game-ready" will therefore only encompass the Voodoo5, the Voodoo5 6000 part will be a separate milestone.

END OF LINE.

Reply 96 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
voodoo5_6k wrote:
vvbee wrote:

Oh yes, they could. But the two fans are quiet (and by the same time moving more air at a higher pressure than the original ones). Also, they keep this a 2-slot card. Once I decide to really make this system "permanent", I could start thinking about further improving the card's cooling, regardless of consumed space. There already is an 80mm fan blowing directly across the card from the case front which can't be seen on the pictures. Ventilated brackets are however a very good idea, this would further support the 80mm chassis fan. Thanks!

And it's done!

• retro1_aero_slots.JPG
    Filename
    retro1_aero_slots.JPG
    File size
    764.67 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Aero Slots (TM)
    File license

END OF LINE.

Reply 97 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a day off and could complete the remaining installations on Retro 4. Everything works so far, as described previously. Both Windows installations are now activated. The Windows XP activation files have been backed up. For Vista, I haven't found a tool yet that would work. Anyhow, I elevate the system's status now to "game-ready"!

• retro4_boot-us_selection.jpg
    Filename
    retro4_boot-us_selection.jpg
    File size
    461.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Boot-US OS Selection
    File license
    retro4_boot-us_gui.jpg
    Filename
    retro4_boot-us_gui.jpg
    File size
    89.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Boot-US Partition Overview
    File license
    retro4_system_properties.jpg
    Filename
    retro4_system_properties.jpg
    File size
    200.39 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    System Properties
    File license
    retro4_device_manager.jpg
    Filename
    retro4_device_manager.jpg
    File size
    205.3 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Device Manager
    File license
    retro4_nvidia_inspector.jpg
    Filename
    retro4_nvidia_inspector.jpg
    File size
    91.18 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GeForce GTX 580 3G
    File license

That makes three of four retro systems "game-ready" 😎 Next is then obviously Retro 2. I'm planning on installing the additional SSD sometime this week and get going with the installation next week as the upcoming weekend is booked solid already.

END OF LINE.

Reply 98 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In addition to the previous posts I'll add some CPU-Z screenshots for all machines.

Retro 1:

• retro1_cpu-z.jpg
    Filename
    retro1_cpu-z.jpg
    File size
    188.75 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retro 2:

• retro2_cpu-z.jpg
    Filename
    retro2_cpu-z.jpg
    File size
    193.5 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retro 3:

• retro3_cpu-z.jpg
    Filename
    retro3_cpu-z.jpg
    File size
    209.42 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retro 4:

• retro4_cpu-z.jpg
    Filename
    retro4_cpu-z.jpg
    File size
    210.24 KiB
    Views
    File license

Edit:
- Added Retro 2

Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2018-05-11, 06:55. Edited 2 times in total.

END OF LINE.

Reply 99 of 134, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And here's an overview of installed software (I'll update this whenever something changes or gets added/removed).

Retro 1:

• retro1_installed_software.jpg
    Filename
    File size
    72.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    - DOSBox 0.74
    • - The Secret Of Monkey Island (EGA)
      - The Secret Of Monkey Island (CD-ROM)
      - Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge
      - Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis (CD-ROM/Talkie)
      - Day Of The Tentacle (CD-ROM/Talkie)
      - Sam & Max - Hit The Road (CD-ROM/Talkie)
      - Full Throttle
      - The Dig
      - Star Wars: Dark Forces
      - Star Wars: X-Wing (Collector's CD-ROM)
      - Star Wars: TIE Fighter (Collector's CD-ROM)

Retro 2:

Retro 3:

Retro 4:

Edit:
- Added Retro 2

Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2018-05-11, 06:54. Edited 1 time in total.

END OF LINE.