Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22980 of 52680, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Also, still trying to figure out the make/model of this 486 board I am expecting in the mail.. real cache? fake cache?

If the chips are socketed, it's real. If soldered on, it's fake. Looks real to me.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22981 of 52680, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Also, still trying to figure out the make/model of this 486 board I am expecting in the mail.. real cache? fake cache?

If the chips are socketed, it's real. If soldered on, it's fake. Looks real to me.

Yippee!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22982 of 52680, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
twilliamc wrote:
I picked up this PSU with no idea whether it works or not. Any way to test it without plugging it into a board? […]
Show full quote

I picked up this PSU with no idea whether it works or not. Any way to test it without plugging it into a board?

psuCD.jpg
cd.jpg

I could not pass up this unique looking CD drive. Sadly, it looks as though it might require a specific sound card to work properly. I will research it more when I finish my current project. It also has something rattling in it which I believe to be a ball bearing from the slider.

That is an Mitsumi single speed CD-Rom drive. Yes it is unique, the way you load it. That model was actually the first drive that I ever had. And I was stupid to sell it back in 1995. The downside of this drive is the fact that it is operating in single speed, and as far as I remember, I had a dedicated controller for the drive. The controller had real phono-plugs, so you could actually hook it directly up to an amplifier and play music CD's that way.

Today it is special because that unique way of ejecting the drive. Everything is build into the tray, and it is a 100% mechanical mecanism. No motor ejection on the drive. As I said. It was the first model that I ever owned, and I sold it in order to get money for a QIC-80 Tape streamer from Connor. (still miss that too). I was the second owner, and used it on my first computer (Cyrix 486-slc2-50). The person I bought it from, used to have it installed in a 486dx-33. So this is the type of computer's that it was used in, when the drive was brand new.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 22983 of 52680, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

anything from Canopus is nice, I want one 😁

but today I got some things too

MAC 9800XT 256MB

dscf7353re.jpg

6800GT 256MB AGP

dscf7364re.jpg

dscf7366re.jpg

900MHz Orion core

dscf7362re.jpg

another sound card which I'am not collecting 😁

dscf7358re.jpg

dscf7360re.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 22984 of 52680, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chose007 wrote:
http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dscf7358re.jpg […]
Show full quote

dscf7358re.jpg

dscf7360re.jpg

WOW!!! I have no idea what kind of chip it is based on. All I can say, is that this soundcard is one of the most awesomme looking card that I have ever seen. Even the box and everything is sooooo awesomme. They used a damn chillie. Now that is special. It might not be that good for gaming in a computer, thought the presentation of the card justify a place on the bookshelf for display. It's a keeper for the looks alone.

Awesomme find. The most awesomme box art I have seen to date 😳 😜 (not like those manga-sluts from the 00's aimed at hormonial teens)

Last edited by brostenen on 2018-04-16, 16:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22985 of 52680, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I. Need. It.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 22987 of 52680, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's exactly what I need it for - got a Triplex Ti4800SE in the mail...

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 22988 of 52680, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would be nice to listen to some recordings, and then a review of the card, regarding how it handles midi compliant dos games in Win98se. SB-Pro is ok, though how does the MIDI part sound in Doom-II and Duke3D. It's got A3D and stuff. So it should theoretically be decent for games such as Quake2 and UT99. I would say a P3-800 build, with 810 chipset would be a nice build for that soundcard.

Reply 22989 of 52680, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Compaq Prolinea 5100. Made an offer and they accepted so it wasn't too pricey. I'm guessing Pentium 100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-Prolinea-5100 … DD/372275888608

Anyone know where I can find drivers for this sucker?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 22991 of 52680, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Goldstar 3DO console? Nice!

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22992 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Monty-Python-2.jpg

Driving around yesterday, spotted a garage sale, saw these in the back, and picked them up immediately for $5 a pop.

xRtqsYjm.jpg Rt9taucm.jpg 417I6Pgm.jpg N2fJ4VFm.jpg TFIgNgVm.jpg

I have no real-world knowledge about tubes. I know how they work in theory but not in practice. So I will cut my teeth on these. Worst case scenario, the Crosley 656 (wood) has very nice case. So worst case scenario, I could put a new radio inside. But if anyone has any sort of guidance when it comes to these things, I'm all ears. If nothing else it will be motivation to get an o-smell-o-scope.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22993 of 52680, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Goldstar 3DO console? Nice!

Yes, I love the front loading ones. Had a Panasonic FZ-1 for quite a while and wanted to get one of these again, but then I saw that mint Goldstar one and couldn't resist. 😁

Reply 22994 of 52680, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/TFIgNgVm.jpg […]
Show full quote

TFIgNgVm.jpg

WOW. That's actually kinda beautiful in a weird-ass industrial biomech sort of way; it looks like it evolved rather than was designed. Neat example of electronics laid out to fill a space before PCBs came around.

Hope you can get it going at any rate. Looks like a challenge, but the fun kind.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22995 of 52680, by SEGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Batyra wrote:

Some new stuff I got today 😀

Leadtek Winfast S3 Virge GX2

Nice find! Don't think I've ever seen a Virge card like that. I'm wondering what those headers are for?

Managed to get this ECS P6BAT-Me board. Came with the box, manual, and CD which may help when installing drivers if Win98 complains.
mATX with AGP, PCI, and ISA and it can do 133MHz FSB.

100_4480.JPG
Filename
100_4480.JPG
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Easiest board I think I've setup and tested so far, worked first try.

100_4475.JPG
Filename
100_4475.JPG
File size
574.41 KiB
Views
File license

Also just got this NV1 card off of ebay today. Listed as non-working and so far that seems to be the case.

100_4481.JPG
Filename
100_4481.JPG
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license

Haven't done much other than re-seating the ROM chip but no dice. This card has the noisiest DIP socket I've ever heard, squeaking/crunching just lightly pressing on the board near it. Gonna try some other steps (clean ROM chip/socket, replace ROM chip, replace DIP socket, etc.) and worse case scenario I have a good candidate to use for tracing and drawing up a schematic of the card.

NintendoAge | VCFed

Reply 22996 of 52680, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Driving around yesterday, spotted a garage sale, saw these in the back, and picked them up immediately for $5 a pop.

I have no real-world knowledge about tubes. I know how they work in theory but not in practice. So I will cut my teeth on these. Worst case scenario, the Crosley 656 (wood) has very nice case. So worst case scenario, I could put a new radio inside. But if anyone has any sort of guidance when it comes to these things, I'm all ears. If nothing else it will be motivation to get an o-smell-o-scope.

I have no personal experience with old tube gear, but I've always heard that you should replace all of the paper/wax capacitors before even attempting to power it up. They're all 50+ years old now, and the electrolyte is long dead. Power testing them like that is a good way to blow the tubes, especially with the voltages involved.

Reply 22997 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rawrl wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I have no personal experience with old tube gear, but I've always heard that you should replace all of the paper/wax capacitors before even attempting to power it up. They're all 50+ years old now, and the electrolyte is long dead. Power testing them like that is a good way to blow the tubes, especially with the voltages involved.

indeed! I had a poke around the unit. Found a schematic, a diagram of the tube locations and everything. Because of the Age, I've found this unit might have its short-wave function disabled. Apparently it was a thing in WWII to disable shortwave radio for certain people. Something to do with aliens from other countries.

This will be a fun LONG term project.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22998 of 52680, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I bought an nVidia Geforce4Ti 4200 128MB AGP video card at a price that was worth the gamble, it came today.

IMG_1930.JPG
Filename
IMG_1930.JPG
File size
543.26 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1931.JPG
Filename
IMG_1931.JPG
File size
816.09 KiB
Views
File license

I took the time to test it, unfortunately, it has screen artifacts, I've tried both VGA and DVI outputs and I tested the card in two different computers (which are my Dell Dimension 4600 and my Athlon 64 rig with an ASUS A8V motherboard).

IMG_1929.JPG
Filename
IMG_1929.JPG
File size
173.52 KiB
Views
File comment
Artifacts on the BIOS POST
File license

I bought this card to use as a spare for my Windows 98 build just in case I ever saw the need for an nVidia GPU (for things like table fog and 8-bit paletted textures), but it turned out to have technical difficulties. Assuming the seller will let me keep it upon refund, I wonder which area is to blame, the RAM chips, the GPU chip, or the missing pin gap on the AGP connector.

Reply 22999 of 52680, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

kc8adu over at badcaps.net restores old radios.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.