VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I bought a lot of unknown cards on ebay, and I feel pretty happy for the $15 i spent.

1xFX 5200 (leaking caps but thats ok it's not anything special, its a 64bit model)
1xRadeon 9250 this one posts and works, again its AGP not PCI but it reports a 128bit memory bus
1xBelkin Firewire Card, not sure what I'd do with it but i have it
1xIntel Gigabit PCI Nic, always nice to have another gigabit PCI Nic

And the best part of this, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, it posts and it works and the reason for this question.

I'm considering replacing my MX420 AGP in my P3 1.26 with this Voodoo, now I know it won't really put the cpu to task but it should also let it run at full tilt and play glide games. What do yall think replace the MX420 with the Voodoo 3? I'm going to put the Radeon 9250 into my AXP Win2k build I'm wokring on

Reply 1 of 12, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unless you're going to be playing Glide games, the 420 will be much faster.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 2 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats just it, I have some games I never really expeinced in glide I'm curious about the glide path,

Unreal Gold, Half Life Platinum Collection, Sim Copter, Need for Speed and Need for Speed II, and I'm sure I have alot more.

Reply 3 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yet another reason why having a monster CPU for a Win9x build can be beneficial - with enough compute power, nGlide can deliver better performance than real 3dfx hardware

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 12, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good lot

Toss it in. Thats the joy about old hardware. Getting to experience it again or the first time!

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 6 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You also still get to play with 3dfx unique gimmicks like the switchable screen filter (Voodoo1 4x1 or V3's 2x2 "22-bit" crap), switchable dither patterns for blended stuff and the dithered mipmaps 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 12, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still maintain that the Voodoo 3 is the best all-around card for a Win9x build. It isn't the fastest card for sure, but it does just about everything extremely well. It's stable, has good image quality, and is highly compatible with just about everything. Just point a fan at it to help cool it off; the passive heatsink is slightly inadequate. If you want to get fancy, there are better cooling options available too. I really like Maximus' solution in this thread:

Oops, I think I killed my Voodoo3

A slot bracket for some fans also works well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Side-blown-Graph … L8/253177055478

The first game I played that started showing the V3's age was Black & White which came out in 2001. I had a Celeron 500 at the time. Even though I couldn't run the game at max settings, performance was still good enough to complete it.

Voodoo 3 cards are also still common and aren't priced unreasonably. I'm glad I picked up a spare a few years back when they were going for about $25. It looks like they're going for about $60 now. I think it may be the last good Win9x-era card that hasn't gotten ridiculously expensive yet. The only video setup that I think is better than a Voodoo 3 is a GF4 and two Voodoo 2 cards in SLI. But that's a more expensive and complex configuration.

A Voodoo 3 and Voodoo 1 in the same system gives you 100% compatibility with all Win9x titles.

I think you'll like your Voodoo 3. Try out some cool GLIDE titles. European Air War, Red Baron 3D, and BattleZone are some of my favorites. If you're into strategy, Myth runs in GLIDE too. And of course there's always Half-Life, Unreal, and Deus Ex.

Reply 11 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

inserted Voodoo 3, now my network card can't be inatalized IRQ conflict, and the USB ports no longer work same yellow question mark of resource conflict 🤣

Reply 12 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm just going to play ring around the rosey with the PCI cards till it all works again 🤣.

Cards in system
Sound Blaster Live PCI Slot 6
Intel 10/100 Nic PCI Slot 5
Via USB 2.0 Card PCI Slot 4
SIL 3114 Card PCI Slot 3
Voodoo 3 AGP Slot 1

IRQ's are 1/6, 2/5, 3, 4 Shared just gotta play with it