VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 100 of 164, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, yes, Asylum was a custom music and sfx library used in both No Remorse and No Regret. Just providing another example of DOS game libraries which weren't static linked.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 101 of 164, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Added Epic Pinball: The Complete Collection and Jazz Jackrabbit Collection, available at GOG as of 11/30.

And while it's out of scope for this thread, i can confirm that the Jazz 2 executables are still compatible with Windows 98, so long as you install them first on a modern machine.

Reply 102 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant. GOG version is Wizardry Gold (Windows version) but I didn't realize til now that they include the DOS version as a bonus under Goodies.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 103 of 164, by fester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having some trouble with Strike Commander. I followed the instructions in the spreadsheet and created a CD from the SC.DAT file. I've tried both with and without the CD, but get an error message every time I try to run SCCD. (Memory "near", "far", and "high" as well as an EA01-FFFF error code) Any suggestions?

se6eHYxl.jpg

Reply 104 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@fester - what are the system specs and what does your autoexec.bat and config.sys look like?

Reply 105 of 164, by fester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

@fester - what are the system specs and what does your autoexec.bat and config.sys look like?

It's a Pentium 120 with 32MB of RAM, SB16/Roland SCC-1, and a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PCI video card. Hard drive is running off a CF memory card. System files looks like this:

Autoexec.bat:

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
REM SET BLASTER=A220 I10 D0 H0 P300 T6
REM SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S
REM *** CDROM ***
LH /L:2,27952 C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CDROM001
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS;C:\NORTON
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
LH /L:2,56928 C:\MOUSE\MOUSE

Config.sys

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE D=64 RAM I=B000-B7FF 16384
BUFFERS=30,0
REM ** FILES=30
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=H
FCBS=4,0
[COMMON]
REM ****** CD-ROM ******
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,24752 =C:\CDROM\CDROMDRV.SYS /D:CDROM001 /UDMA /Q
DEVICEHIGH /L:2,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH
FILES=40

Thanks for the help!

Reply 106 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First try vanilla autoexec/config files. Just EMM386 RAM with no memmaker switches and minimal SB16 lines. I see you already are limiting RAM to 16MB, which is good. For fun, you can try knocking that down to 8192.

Reply 107 of 164, by fester

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

First try vanilla autoexec/config files. Just EMM386 RAM with no memmaker switches and minimal SB16 lines. I see you already are limiting RAM to 16MB, which is good. For fun, you can try knocking that down to 8192.

Thanks for your suggestions. I stripped everything out of the autoexec/config files and also tried limiting to just 8MB - sadly still getting the same error message. 🙁

Reply 108 of 164, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mastran wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
Mastran wrote:

Just added Screamer 4x4, System Shock 2 and Rebel Assault.

Great idea this project is.

I'm not familiar with Screamer 4x4, but System Shock 2 is not a DOS game, so it does not belong on this sheet.

edit: yeah, Screamer 4x4 is a Windows game too. 😀 Rebel Assault is a good addition, though. This sheet is for native MS-DOS games, though. Any Win32 game will automatically get a Red color, since it won't be able to run in real DOS.

Didn´t know the sheet was for DOS GoG games only, the thing is a have a WindowsME RetroPC and i tough it was cool to test them out anyway
I don´t see the point in limiting the scope though

I don't see the point of limiting this list to DOS either, and I haven't found whatever other list Phil put it on. Since the information has apparently been lost, does anybody here know if the GoG version of Screamer 4x4 will easily run on a native retro system (Win9x in this case)?
I'm inclined to assume that since Matran mentioned it, it probably works, but that isn't clear. It's on sale right now so if nobody knows I might just go ahead and try it.

Reply 109 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@shamino - Phil added a Win98 tab to this sheet a couple of months ago.

Reply 110 of 164, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

@shamino - Phil added a Win98 tab to this sheet a couple of months ago.

Oh - sorry, never noticed the tabs at the bottom. Thanks, I see that it does work. Glad to see that Win9x games were added.

Phil (hoping you're still around):
if Win9x entries are being accepted, I propose that the thread title and instructions be generalized a bit. It still gives the appearance of being a DOS-only list right now.

Reply 111 of 164, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GOG updated several of their games today from using DOSBox to ScummVM. SDL2 so XP+. Unknown if anything else changed with the games.

King's Quest series
Space Quest series
Gabriel Knight 2
Phantasmagoria 2

Also stickied this thread.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 112 of 164, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

GOG updated several of their games today from using DOSBox to ScummVM. SDL2 so XP+. Unknown if anything else changed with the games.
[...]
Gabriel Knight 2

Well crap. I haven't downloaded that yet. Not looking forward to downloading nearly 3GB just to find out it's broken in DOS.
Is there a way to download the older version? I don't see one. They do mention some "rollback" feature for GoG Galaxy, but I don't have a system that can run the Galaxy client.

Reply 113 of 164, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
GOG updated several of their games today from using DOSBox to ScummVM. SDL2 so XP+. Unknown if anything else changed with the ga […]
Show full quote

King's Quest series
Space Quest series
Gabriel Knight 2
Phantasmagoria 2

Also stickied this thread.

Are they still including originals in a dir somewhere?

Reply 114 of 164, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
squiggly wrote:

Are they still including originals in a dir somewhere?

Yes. I can confirm that the following Sierra titles still come with DOS executables:

• Gabriel Knight 1+2
  • King's Quest 1-7 (KQ7 might be tricky to get working)
  • Leisure Suit Larry 1-6 (tested an older version that comes with ScummVM 1.8.0)
  • Phantasmagoria 1+2
  • Space Quest 1-6 (SQ6 might be tricky to get working)
  • The Colonel's Bequest
  • The Dagger of Amon Ra

The biggest problem here is that the games don't come with any preconfigured DOSBox profiles. But except for KQ7 and SQ6, I could get all the games to start up just by dragging and dropping the game's executable (usually SIERRA.EXE or something like that) onto DOSBOX.EXE (well... I actually have my system set up so that I can right-click on the executables and select "Run in DOSBox" from the context menu, but it's basically the same thing).

Police Quest 1-4 and Quest for Glory 1-4 still use DOSBox, in case you were wondering.

Reply 115 of 164, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can add Lands of Lore 2, its interesting because it support 3Dfx - on V1+V2+V3.. i dont know about rare cards like Rush or Banshee, nobody care.

It not use any annoying Gog formats of cd images, you dont needd to juggle with physical cds.. just do pure copy / paste deGoGation (=delete windows only(for Dos) and Gog only files, but they do not harm..)

Only hassle is that, you can run executable directly - because would get - pleas insert cd message, but you need to add

-CD ..

parameter to point out that content of CD is on HDD in same directory.. its same for setup.. whole line for *.bat is:

lolg.exe -CD ..

Its whopper - 2 GB of because of videos.

3Dfx with Dosbox + Nglide is working too, Hardware acceleration could be enabled in Options or by editing Options.ini file, last variable need to set to "On"

Only problem is not working setup (by default is set for SB16), but you can edit ini files manually, but problem is deviceDriver value, its not use by other hmdi/ drivers, so its we need probably magic values form nonGog version.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 116 of 164, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see the classic X-COM games listed in the spreadsheet. I can't edit the sheet directly because I'm at work and we have some weird blocks in place, but here's my rating of the first 2 X-COM games as I have them on Steam:

X-COM1: UFO Defense
developer/publisher: Mythos / MicroProse
year: 1994
platform: Steam
packaged: DOSbox mounts folder
install: copy folder
recommended machine: I only played this on 486&pentium class computers; may be compatible with older but don't know
memory: don't remember; I only played this on machines with 16MB or more
compat problems: ? don't think there are any; AFAIK the released files are identical to the original game files

X-COM2: Terror From The Deep
year: 1995
recommended machine: I only played this on 486&pentium class computers; may be compatible with older but don't know
compat problems: ? don't think there are any; AFAIK the released files are identical to the original game files

Ufopaedia says this regarding requirements:

X-COM 1

Minimum
386 processor
4MB RAM
Hard drive (10MB free, game alone)
MS-DOS 5.0 or higher
VGA Graphics

Recommended
486 or better
8MB RAM
Hard drive (15MB free, game + manual)
SVGA Graphics

Sound Cards Supported
PC Internal speaker
AdLib compatible cards
Sound Blaster compatible cards
Roland LAPC-1
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Info

X-COM 2

Minimum

386 (33MHz minimum)
4MB RAM
Hard drive (60MB free, game alone)
MS-DOS 5.0 or higher
VGA Graphics
Microsoft Mouse driver v8.01 or higher

Recommended

486 (50MHz) or better
8MB RAM
Hard drive (63MB free, game + manuals)
SVGA Graphics

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Info_(TFTD)

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 117 of 164, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:
I don't see the classic X-COM games listed in the spreadsheet. I can't edit the sheet directly because I'm at work and we have s […]
Show full quote

I don't see the classic X-COM games listed in the spreadsheet. I can't edit the sheet directly because I'm at work and we have some weird blocks in place, but here's my rating of the first 2 X-COM games as I have them on Steam:

X-COM1: UFO Defense
year: 1994

I believe this version is patched or updated to support GM in addition to LA synthesis.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 118 of 164, by MasterO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed for Blood: One Unit Whole Blood's GOG release, the spreadsheet says:

INSTALL.EXE is missing from the BIN file, so an install CD cannot be properly made. You can still burn a the BIN/CUE to CD so that you can play the cutscenes off of the CD. But you will still need to copy files from the game folder to the DOS PC, then edit the BLOOD.INI file to change the path of the movies to point to the CD drive letter.

Does anyone know if regarding the GOG release, has the omission of the install.exe file from the bin file been fixed since then? I don't own the game, but am merely curious.

Reply 119 of 164, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MasterO wrote:

Does anyone know if regarding the GOG release, has the omission of the install.exe file from the bin file been fixed since then? I don't own the game, but am merely curious.

Try GOG game specific forum page, there is usually lots of info and you can request some change, from time to time some developer is there.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.