VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24260 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found 2 8-bit Hercules MDA cards for 10 bucks. I know it's a steal but I have no PCs to stick them in nor do I plan to build anything slower than a 486. The temptation to heard them is strong though..

I am bidding on this card for the simple fact that it's ATI, PCI and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is so I want to have it and find out..

Unknown ATI.jpg
Filename
Unknown ATI.jpg
File size
41.09 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24262 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:

This is a Radeon 7500 PCI (64 MB) for Alpha workstations. So pretty much useless unless there is one in your possession.

Any reason why it wouldn't work in any other PCI slot? A Radeon 7500 PCI would be a very welcome card for me, I could use it in my Socket 7 and i810 PCs.

Reply 24263 of 52352, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
twilliamc wrote:

PCChips M919 v3.4: included 64MB of RAM, 166MHz processor (not sure which model yet), and 256KB of cache on a stick.

Whatever CPU it has, it is overclocked if running at 166 MHz on a 486 board 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 24264 of 52352, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
blurks wrote:

This is a Radeon 7500 PCI (64 MB) for Alpha workstations. So pretty much useless unless there is one in your possession.

Any reason why it wouldn't work in any other PCI slot? A Radeon 7500 PCI would be a very welcome card for me, I could use it in my Socket 7 and i810 PCs.

The BIOS for it will be in Alpha code - maybe it might be possible to flash an X86 BIOS to it if you could find a compatible one

Reply 24265 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Warning! NOT retro computers, but VERY retro still:

https://imgur.com/a/pj3FdfM

This is #3 for me, I'm really starting to go down the rabbit hole with these things.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24266 of 52352, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:
twilliamc wrote:

PCChips M919 v3.4: included 64MB of RAM, 166MHz processor (not sure which model yet), and 256KB of cache on a stick.

Got some screen shots? I know its PC CHips buts that an interesting board having the cache stick.

Reply 24267 of 52352, by KingPing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Matth79 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
blurks wrote:

The BIOS for it will be in Alpha code - maybe it might be possible to flash an X86 BIOS to it if you could find a compatible one

I own that card, it works fine in any standard PC with a PCI or PCI-X slot.

Reply 24268 of 52352, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote:
It seems that a number of sellers I've bought from recently are relying on paper as suitable packaging for electronic goods, or […]
Show full quote

It seems that a number of sellers I've bought from recently are relying on paper as suitable packaging for electronic goods, or basically stuffing up somehow 😢 Latest purchase - an AT case, with this classic fascia:

x.jpg

The case was wrapped in brown butcher's paper, padded with newspaper, and placed in a box. Admittedly it was a long journey from Russia to Australia, and the paper/newspaper must have kept a reasonable amount of impact damage at bay. The only problem was that the seller only secured the cover with one screw ... which meant that a bump somewhere along the way twisted the cover off enough to slam forward into the top of the bezel, bending the chassis slightly and knocking off pieces of the bezel corners and cracking the plastic. The reset button also fell off and won't stay in properly any longer.

I don't feel angry, just a bit sad that the seller didn't have any foresight to secure the item properly for shipping. Won't be leaving feedback for this one, and deliberating on whether to lodge a dispute for a partial refund - but the damage is probably just a bit on the small side to warrant this. Will have to get cracking on some plastic repair.

On the upside, a Mac Performa 476 shipped over from the US in perfect condition, with decent packaging. Also managed to salvage some great parts from this smashed up laptop (Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today) - 486DX4/75 motherboard and other parts (including the hard disk!) all still work, transplanted them into another Acernote laptop which arrived intact by some miracle as it was also very very badly packed - it was sent to me in a thin bubble-lined envelope!

oh that yellow
i hate so much cheap china cases that turn yellow (all of them turn yellow)
and retrobright is temporary. i wish they did the front plastic again at least with proper plastic. I mean how dificult could it be to do the front plastic again.

Reply 24269 of 52352, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
twilliamc wrote:
This hobby is very fun, but getting costly. I think I paid way too much, but I will let you be the judge. These items for $100. […]
Show full quote

This hobby is very fun, but getting costly. I think I paid way too much, but I will let you be the judge. These items for $100.

2001.jpg

Focus FK-2001 keyboard, work status: Unknown.

ibm1.jpg
ibmpart.jpg

IBM Model M keyboard, work status: Unknown.

m919v34.jpg
m919Manual.jpg

PCChips M919 v3.4: included 64MB of RAM, 166MHz processor (not sure which model yet), and 256KB of cache on a stick. Work status, POSTs with my Realtek VGA test card. I am super excited about the manual. All online scans are a terrible gif that is hard to read. Any idea on where I could post this guy to get it archived. Looks like the pin layout was the same for all/most m919s.

The seller has 3 more Model M's (none with the metal badge) and another 2001 as well as several other clicky keyboards. My visit lasted longer than intended where I discovered I may be dealing with a hoarder. House smelled clean, and was recently vacuumed... just had a ton of tech everywhere. Nothing stacked though. Mostly organized. He has tons of XP era systems with older stuff buried in a storage unit. A few things I had to tell him would be better off recycling (rack mounted SCSI raid, battery backup, and server2003 units) than selling on eBay. Shipping would be insane. I did help him get a couple 7 systems running though. Hopefully I scored some points to cut a price to sell deal with him.

hey can you scan that manual into a good PDF file? online scans are a piece of shit

Reply 24270 of 52352, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Warning! NOT retro computers, but VERY retro still:
https://imgur.com/a/pj3FdfM
This is #3 for me, I'm really starting to go down the rabbit hole with these things.

Good Work keeping the old stuff going. I have console stereo from Telefunken that is my baby. Check 12voltvids on YouTube. He repairs A/V devices with a good portion of it being tube. He inspired me to fix stuff and care for the old equipment.

dirkmirk wrote:
debs3759 wrote:
twilliamc wrote:

Got some screen shots? I know its PC CHips buts that an interesting board having the cache stick.

No screenshots, but I just booted it up next to me. It is 160MHz. I am impressed with its condition. Even the cpu can is quiet. BIOS settings were wiped due to an old battery. I have work to do on it. It will be mounted in its case tomorrow where I will try to get DOS working.

Pabloz wrote:

hey can you scan that manual into a good PDF file? online scans are a piece of shit

Working on that. I might take it to work and try to scan it on a lunch break.

Turns out my other board is a PC Chips too, but v1.4 with the smaller cache chips. They actually go somewhere too. It does not POST though. Still working to diagnose. Going to start with a full cap replacement.

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 24271 of 52352, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Found 2 8-bit Hercules MDA cards for 10 bucks. I know it's a steal but I have no PCs to stick them in nor do I plan to build anything slower than a 486. The temptation to heard them is strong though..

I am bidding on this card for the simple fact that it's ATI, PCI and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is so I want to have it and find out..

Unknown ATI.jpg

IIRC those Alphaserver radeons are worth several thousand.

Edit: Did some searching. Seems to be worth around $300-400

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 24272 of 52352, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

What type of cable is required between sound card and head unit ?

It's a pretty thick, and probably proprietary 44-pin DIN cable, also has USB on the PC's side, probably passtrogh for the USB ports on the rack. Did you not receive one with yours?

LVlZ87j.jpg

I see you received CDs with yours, I didn't, would you be so kind as to upload the contents somewhere? I'm having trouble finding old win98 driver for mine, only found a driver from 2007 that is too new

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 24273 of 52352, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

IIRC those Alphaserver radeons are worth several thousand.

Edit: Did some searching. Seems to be worth around $300-400

Wow.. I got it for less than 10 bucks shipped. Maybe I shouldn't keep and use it, just flip it after all..

Reply 24274 of 52352, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
God Of Gaming wrote:
It's a pretty thick, and probably proprietary 44-pin DIN cable, also has USB on the PC's side, probably passtrogh for the USB po […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote:

What type of cable is required between sound card and head unit ?

It's a pretty thick, and probably proprietary 44-pin DIN cable, also has USB on the PC's side, probably passtrogh for the USB ports on the rack. Did you not receive one with yours?

LVlZ87j.jpg

I see you received CDs with yours, I didn't, would you be so kind as to upload the contents somewhere? I'm having trouble finding old win98 driver for mine, only found a driver from 2007 that is too new

Okay, I will upload ISO images of CD's when the items arrive.
in about a week.
Thanks for the info.

Reply 24275 of 52352, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this nice ZX Spectrum yesterday. It does not work as the previos owner told me, so I will have to look into it in the near future.

Attachments

• IMG_7090.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7090.JPG
    File size
    95.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_7089.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_7089.JPG
    File size
    97.23 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 24276 of 52352, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dig the M919 and the ZX Spectrum.
Regarding later, there is an awesome repair channel on youtube run by "JoulesperCoulomb" https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4H3oO … 2x0laC7gqqmwBE8

Got another CRT, this time a Pilips 109S and it's got a pretty good picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2347.jpg
    File size
    405.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2348.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2348.jpg
    File size
    449.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2354.jpg
    File size
    451.27 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 24278 of 52352, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Socket 7 pentium motherboards for my ISA sound card collections.
Will perform better than 486 CPU’s.
Got these really cheap too.
Needed the most ISA slots possible for my ISA card collection.

Attachments

Reply 24279 of 52352, by r.cade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NamelessPlayer wrote:

-Amiga 2000 rev. 6.2 (8372A Agnus, but standard OCS Denise and Kickstart 1.3) with A2091 SCSI controller (no added Fast RAM, unfortunately), a 4 GB SCSI HDD (that it didn't seem to boot from), a Video Toaster card, keyboard (missing the right Alt keycap and tactile sleeve, but functional), tank mouse, and a loaded floppy that turned out to have Workbench 1.3 on it. You bet I was taking that thing home ASAP!

Glad you enjoyed that Amiga. It came from the shop where I worked (ACS Computer and Video) in Atlanta during 1992-1996 era (it should have the sticker). I'm sure I probably sold it back then, and rescued it from the shop "pile of junk" when they finally closed up and moved out in 2010 or so (long long after the Amiga days, but we had a big room in the back full of stuff). It was missing a few parts, but it worked fine.

-Pete