VOGONS

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the conflicting device list in the device manager that is in my sound card is the root of the problem that the Sound Blaster function in DOS Games is not working? If there is a conflict in it, should I adjust the number of it because it says it is conflict with the PCI board as the card is in the PCI slot? Board is Intel 815E/EP chipset, with 3 PCI slots, and an AGP slot.

Reply 1 of 4, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These are the pictures of the error. There are 2 devices I use for sound, the integrated chip (Avance) and the sound card. There is sound in the Windows for the card, but not in DOS games such as Doom. There is sound in DOS Games for the integrated sound chip, but no music in it.

Device manager lists:
device.jpg

Conflict sound card and PCI:
pci.jpg
pci_2.jpg
pci_3.jpg

Sound Blaster diagnose error, and its grey out in DS-XG PCI configuration utility:
diagnose.jpg
IMG_20180714_131809.jpg

I wonder why there are two devices for the sound card, which is Legacy Sound System, and PCI Audio Codec? Also,the audio configuration tool shows different port number address.
audio.jpg

Reply 2 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Disable the Avance SB Emulation or disable the whole integrated sound stuff in the BIOS settings.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 4, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where is the integrated sound in the BIOS? Intel chip 815E/EP chipset, my BIOS version is CMOS Setup Utility. Does it really has to be disabled every time a new sound card is installed?

Reply 4 of 4, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on your board, have a look at the manual. As long the CMOS battery is good the settings will stay even if you install a new card.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel