VOGONS

First post, by dunlopbob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks having just recieved my packard bell executive multimedia pc I find that it won't let me access the bios. The computer boots and runs 95 ok, but cmos battery has failed ( surprise ) password jumper set disabled and setup jumper enabled so I am at a loss to know what to do next any help welcome cheers Robbie.

Reply 2 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb1.htm

F1 to enter BIOS. If you can do that but get stuck with a BIOS password, try some listed here:
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosp.htm

Old pre-Win95 PB Master CDs are as rare as hen's teeth, there'se another Vogons user desperately looking for them - without success so far. But there's no need for that if you just want to run Win3.1 - it's a regular PC, just install a suitable DOS version (i.e. 6.22) and then install Win3.1 with a regular install CD.

Reply 3 of 7, by dunlopbob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi on starting the computer it gives the F1 option if you press F1 says entering setup, but does not just continues till after the battery warning then gives F1 for setup again or esc to boot which works, does not ask for a password just refuses to enter setup I have not seen a bad cmos battery stop you getting into the bios, but I'm thinking this is the only option left. The battery is part of the timer chip and is soldered onto the board, I'm going to have to unsolder this and replace it. There is a video on youtube showing how to disable the old battery and fit a cr2032 holder on top of the chip, but this involves cutting into the side of the chip to access the pins you attach the new battery to, a bit daunting don't you think? this may sort it, but we'll see. Thanks for your suggestions cheers Robbie.

Reply 4 of 7, by dunlopbob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bingo! seems if I set date and time in windows, shutdown windows then reset button ( don't power off ) I can then get into setup with F1 after battery message. If "time and date not set" message appears then I cannot get in. I just wanted to see the bios default setting for the hard drive so I can change the drive without config problems, the default setting is autodetect YIPPEE! hope this helps someone else cheers Robbie.

Reply 5 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Even by PB BIOS standards that one is brain-dead 😵

Great you found out how - and let's hope this thread helps others. I wouldn't mind getting one again for old time's sake - my first succesful Linux install (Debian 2.0) was on a Packard Bell system with PB520R. That was long enough ago though that the RTC worked fine. These days a battery mod is pretty inevitable I fear.

Reply 6 of 7, by dunlopbob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdlSfqto_0o&i … NFxYxnk40g&t=0s Have a quick look at this ( battery mod ) I will probably go this route, but have ordered a dallas clock chip from China. cheers Robbie