VOGONS

Winevdm

Topic actions

First post, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've stumbled on this thing https://github.com/otya128/winevdm which combines wine's win16 dlls with mame's [23]86 emulation. I haven't tried it though.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-11-25, 22:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, thanks! I've just tried, but my Athlon 64 w/ Win7 is too, old perhaps.
The program just hung when I tried. Anyway, maybe I also did something wrong.

The language is in Korean, it seems. Using Google Translator in auto mode failed.

Here's the translation to English.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 100, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It actually works, if not completely. Here is Paintbrush from Win3.1 Running on my Win7 Pro x64.

Attachments

• w31PB.png
    Filename
    w31PB.png
    File size
    34.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 100, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Runs quite a few of the Windows Entertainment Pack games without a problem, including Chip's Challenge (no music though). Some like Jezzball crash and burn pretty good too.

Reply 4 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
Say, please, how did you make it run ? I'm curious! 😁

I did extract otvdm-v0.2.zip, changend to that folder and ran "CMD" in the address bar which gave a command line window.
Then, I ran otvdm.exe together with a Win16 program : otvdm calc.exe

After that, the command line window just hung. Nothing.

EditI I'm using Windows 7 x64 on an Athlon 64 X2 PC.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

otvdm.exe --app-name your.exe

Ok, just tried again. It works now. I used drag&drop this time (dragged calc.exe onto otvdm binary). 😀

Attachments

• otvdm_calc.gif
    Filename
    otvdm_calc.gif
    File size
    26.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, man! Do you know if it runs Win2 games properly now ?
In another thread, danoon improved his Boxedwine by using newer code.
This also helped to properly emulate klotz, a Win3-aware Windows 2.x game.
The menu bar became visible, for example.

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 100, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sim Tower. I had to create "WINDOWS\SYSTEM" subdirectories in the otvdm folder to copy WAVMIX16.DLL and WAVEMIX.INI to get it to run. Seemed to run well, if not a bit too fast for the few minutes I played it.

Attachments

• Simtower.png
    Filename
    Simtower.png
    File size
    83.85 KiB
    Views
    File license

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 12 of 100, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which is included with WineVDM. The WAVEMIX.INI from the CD should go in a WINDOWS subdirectory inside of your WineVDM directory and WAVMIX16.DLL from the CD inside of a "SYSTEM" folder under that WINDOWS folder. I should do an installer for Sim Tower.

Reply 13 of 100, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The installer actually runs in WineVDM (needs lzexpand.dll in its SYSTEM directory even though one is provided), gives me path errors after prompting for an install location though.

Reply 14 of 100, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

The installer actually runs in WineVDM (needs lzexpand.dll in its SYSTEM directory even though one is provided), gives me path errors after prompting for an install location though.

You can always manually copy the game files, conveniently contained in a folder called "SIMTOWER" on the disc, to your hard drive and try running the game that way. That's what I've done in the past (albeit without using Wnevdm).

Reply 15 of 100, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 1.0 release CD doesn't have the uncompressed copies on it. I got it installed anyway. Runs but crashes trying to save or load a game file. The VDM has significant overhead. SimTower runs like its on a 486 on a Core2Duo.

Reply 16 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The newer releases of Comet Busters! also used WinG and the WaveMix thingy.
(The original version used plain GDI and ran on my old 286!)
http://www.win3game.com/

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 100, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Grab the latest build linked on the site. It fixes crashing with commdlg calls. SimTower can now save/load cities!

Reply 18 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for that piece of information! By the way, there had been some progress of the project's github site.
The newest build (debug117) adds wheel mouse support, if I understand correctly.
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/otya128/winev … build/artifacts

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats to all of you who are putting so much effort on these VMs! This is exactly what we needed for x64 versions of Windows. Now I'll finally be able to switch and keep those games running without setting up a whole sepparate VM for them.