VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a mini laptop with Intel Atom, a 32Gb eMMC and Windows 10 1607 installed (using "free upgrade" from original Windows 8.1). Microsoft dropped support for my CPU, so later service packs (OK, "editions") of Windows 10 won't work.

Not a big issue, but it keeps trying to download and install service packs every time is powered on (today is trying to install Windows 10 version 1709). I'd like to install security updates, but I want it to avoid downloading service packs that can't be installed. Is there any method to forbid specific updates from Windows 10 "free" editions?

Thanks.

SOLUTION?

I've found a thread that speaks of a Windows fix called wushowhide that allows you to hide updates in Windows 10. I've hidden Windows 10 1803 edition and silverlight, and it seems that it works... but Windows 10 is well known to "accidentally" forget Windows Update settings, and I guess that newer releases will not be blocked automatically.

Last edited by Zup on 2018-08-09, 08:37. Edited 2 times in total.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 10 v1803 is the worst version released ever, in my humble opinion.

You could try the following, just for testing sake.

Get current v17134.112 ISO using the Media Creation Tool and burn it to DVD or use MCT to make a bootable usb-stick. If you run into problems, you can use Rufus instead.

Get Macrium Reflect Free and make a full backup of all existing partitions.

Use diskpart and CLEAN the disk.

Try installing v1803 to see what happens.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Disable the Windows Update service?

This is very tricky (next to impossible) on new Windows 10 editions (don't remember exactly when it started). It has extra services and schedule tasks to re-enable itself.

Plus, he stated he does want the security updates.

I think the best option is to use group policy to prevent update auto-install (and on Home version where there is no group policy, create the relevant registry entries manually).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The goal is not upgrading to later Windows releases, but to avoid my laptop to download and trying to install them. The fact is that the CPU is unsupported by Microsoft and any attempt to install later releases of Windows 10 (via Windows Update, manual update or clean install from USB) ends with an unsupported hardware message. So I have a pendrive with Windows 1607 just in case that I need to wipe out the laptop.

The fact is that, even if those releases of Windows 10 are incompatible, it keeps trying to download them (taking HDD space) and installing it (taking CPU and memory).

I've found a thread that speaks of a Windows fix called wushowhide that allows you to hide updates in Windows 10. I've hidden Windows 10 1803 edition and silverlight, and it seems that it works... but Windows 10 is well known to "accidentally" forget Windows Update settings, and I guess that newer releases will not be blocked automatically.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 6, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about setting your connection as metered? The theory was that it would only download and install critical updates and security fixes on a metered connection. Whether it will still try for the larger updates after a certain period of time isn't quite clear (to me) yet.

Reply 6 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote:

How about setting your connection as metered? The theory was that it would only download and install critical updates and security fixes on a metered connection. Whether it will still try for the larger updates after a certain period of time isn't quite clear (to me) yet.

I don't like hacks that have desired outcomes as unfortunate side-effects. I have no idea what other limitations/annoyances setting your primary connection as "metered" can impose. I'd rather deal with the core of the problem.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys