VOGONS

Reply 80 of 486, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

I tested Yamaha 744 on GA-Z97P-D3 with loaded DSDMA driver, driver can be loaded, but when i try to test FX i get freeze, also YMHIRQ has some problem - message found and error on next line.. Its no go, or we need some programming..

Tried running Duke Nukem 3D setup? It's usually detects the source of the problem, if it's problems with I/O, IRQ or DMA.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 81 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

Tried running Duke Nukem 3D setup? It's usually detects the source of the problem, if it's problems with I/O, IRQ or DMA.

I tried Blood one, should i try Duke3D too?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 82 of 486, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The chipset-dependencies is the strange thing here.

i815e with SOLO1(ES1938)
Dosdrivers -> Doom2/Hexen/Heretic/Duke3d/Swarrior/Blood -> DMA-Playback issue => no SFX (FM/MIDI does work)
Win98VXDdrivers => Doom2/Hexen/Heretic/Duke3d/Swarrior/Blood -> DMA-Playback issue => no SFX (FM/MIDI does work)
Win98WDMdrivers => Doom2/Hexen/Heretic/Duke3d/Swarrior/Blood -> working

i815e with YMH74x
Dosdrivers -> Doom2/Hexen/Heretic/Duke3d/Swarrior/Blood -> DMA-Playback issue => no SFX (FM/MIDI does work)
Win98VXDdrivers => Doom2/Hexen/Heretic/Duke3d/Swarrior/Blood -> not tested
Win98WDMdrivers => Doom2/Hexen/Heretic/Duke3d/Swarrior/Blood -> not tested

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 83 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

The chipset-dependencies is the strange thing here.

There is lots of variables, even board vendor could matter in theory, same as used PCI slot and of course IRQs.Bios settings and drivers.
That Yamaha pure dos FX problem, i still believe that is not working because DSDMA.exe is not loaded, after sound driver.

I have ESS-Solo 1 on the way, multiple ones so probably at least one will work.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 84 of 486, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I got my Solo-1E (ES1946) that should have ESFM,SBpro and WSS. We will see...

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2018-08-09, 17:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 85 of 486, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

I tried Blood one, should i try Duke3D too?

Did it just crash when trying to play samples in Blood setup?

YouTube channel

Reply 86 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, no error message, plain freeze before 1st-center sample..

Reply 87 of 486, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ES1946 is compatibilty-wise the same as the ES1938. I did not get WSS working yet, but I can tell you that
the dos-soundmixer does not work anymore and that the card produces massive slowdowns and stuttering
within win9x/2k while gaming. the ES1938 is fine. So I am pretty sure that the ES1938 is in fact the best
retro pci-soundcard for dos/win3/9/2k gaming. I will perhaps go the WDM-Drivers within Win9x so that
the problematic-games work too.

Reply 88 of 486, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

btw. the intel q33 chipset including gam 3100, what are the oldest possible drivers?
I think win9x does not work, therefore i915 should be the latest.
For win2k there is a driver for the GMA3100, but not for the hole chipset, or I am
wrong here and it starts with winXP?

Attachments

• Filename
    c5720.pdf
    File size
    107.42 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File comment
    This is my new retro-thin-client test sample
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 89 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In first post i have found this: It (means ESS 1938) works almost flawless on VIA K8T890/VT8237x based motherboards, even on Socket AM2 boards that used the chipset. K8T890 means that VT8251 soughtbridge worked.. and AM2 quite new so i theory it could be better that some Core 2 duo machines.. I did small reasearch and VIa8237 southbridge was used from Socket A years, that is good sign.
Any experience with such boards?

Reply 90 of 486, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I have VT8237S. It's not AM2 platform, but still same southbridge.

ESS Solo-1 is working flawlessly in DOS (7.1), sometime in the future I want to test it with some wavetable board too.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 91 of 486, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

In first post i have found this: It (means ESS 1938) works almost flawless on VIA K8T890/VT8237x based motherboards, even on Socket AM2 boards that used the chipset. K8T890 means that VT8251 soughtbridge worked..

No, that board (GA-K8VT890) is using the VT8237R southbridge, but I'll guess the VT8251 would also work fine with the Solo-1.

ruthan wrote:

and AM2 quite new so i theory it could be better that some Core 2 duo machines.. I did small reasearch and VIa8237 southbridge was used from Socket A years, that is good sign.
Any experience with such boards?

The same southbridges were also used in socket 775 motherboards, some also supporting Core 2 CPUs like the Asus P5VD2-VM SE I got.

YouTube channel

Reply 92 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:

No, that board (GA-K8VT890) is using the VT8237R southbridge, but I'll guess the VT8251 would also work fine with the Solo-1.

Regarding of this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VIA_chipsets
K8T890 - has VT8251, original author probably wanted to say that K8T890 + others MBs with that VT8237R southbridges are supported.

Reply 93 of 486, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

Regarding of this:
K8T890 - has VT8251, original author probably wanted to say that K8T890 + others MBs with that VT8237R southbridges are supported.

I'll guess the southbridges are interchangeable, but VIA list the VT8237(R) for the K8T890 on their page.

YouTube channel

Reply 94 of 486, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kamerat wrote:
ruthan wrote:

Regarding of this:

I'll guess the southbridges are interchangeable, but VIA list the VT8237(R) for the K8T890 on their page.

K8T890 is usually paired with VT8237 series (R/A/S). There's a K8T900 that's to be paired with VT8251.

K8T900 and VT8251 are said to be pin-compatible with K8T890 and VT8237x respectively, so they should be compatible with ES1938.

Sadly, I personally haven't really seen any motherboards actually featuring K8T900/VT8251 pair. However, it seems VT8251 exists in some mATX motherboards like this one.

Reply 95 of 486, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

I tested Yamaha 744 on GA-Z97P-D3 with loaded DSDMA driver, driver can be loaded, but when i try to test FX i get freeze, also YMHIRQ has some problem - message found and error on next line..

Hm, in the dump I can see that brirges cascade have enabled the subtractive decode (PCI0->PCI5, PCI5->PCI6, PCI6->Aureal) so I don't know what else could make problem, esp. when it's random - it's bad.
You can try to make PCI dumps before loading the vortex driver for multiple times and compare logs for case when it feeeze and when it didn't freeze to see it there would be any difference. Also, did you try to swap the soundcard to second PCI slot?

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 96 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RayeR wrote:

Hm, in the dump I can see that brirges cascade have enabled the subtractive decode (PCI0->PCI5, PCI5->PCI6, PCI6->Aureal) so I don't know what else could make problem, esp. when it's random - it's bad.
You can try to make PCI dumps before loading the vortex driver for multiple times and compare logs for case when it feeeze and when it didn't freeze to see it there would be any difference. Also, did you try to swap the soundcard to second PCI slot?

I tried both slots its the same. I wonder how SMB working, is list affected by virtual drivers devices etc.. or its only HW level, because from you post it seems to that it is affected by SW too??
Because its freezing in most of the cases 80% and even when it is working it failing very quickly.. it would be hard to make those logs, it would take lots of time..

I also tried to Aureal V1 with PCI-E to PCI bridge on X58, im not 100% sure that all was connected how it should be (these adapters are clunky), but there is big change that it was.. and when i tried create log with SMB.. i got pc speaker beeping and some strange binary characters on screen freeze.. i now that it is beta, but in all other cases it worked well.

Reply 97 of 486, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RayeR wrote:
ruthan wrote:

I tested Yamaha 744 on GA-Z97P-D3 with loaded DSDMA driver, driver can be loaded, but when i try to test FX i get freeze, also YMHIRQ has some problem - message found and error on next line..

Some board manufacturers included the vt8251 with later IGP models. I believe it was an inexpensive way of bumping up the feature count.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 98 of 486, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

smb /pci use direct IO access to address all devices on PCI bus(es), it doesn't rely on PCI BIOS services. But some drivers may affect PCI devices configuration or enable/disable PCI devices. Hm, beeping speaker and screen garbage - I never seen this. PCI scan should not harm PC at all. But some HW/BIOS/SW combinations just may be unstable.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 99 of 486, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ESS-Solo1 at home.

Can someone pleas share proven ESS-SOLO1 (1938) pure Dos driver package? I tried 2 packages from Forum, but there is strange message during autoexec part loading:

PLease use Windows software applet to enable 
Sound Blaster, MPU4041 for real / Windows DOS

So far no success with X58 or i865 but it could be driver problem above.

Attachments

• Filename
    I865ESS.TXT
    File size
    8.13 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    X58ESS.TXT
    File size
    34.57 KiB
    Downloads
    74 downloads
    File license
Last edited by ruthan on 2018-08-13, 17:58. Edited 1 time in total.