VOGONS

First post, by Mortisanti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. First-time user of dgVoodoo, here. I recently installed Midtown Madness again and decided to use dgVoodoo. Problem is: it launches the game on the secondary monitor. There is no option to change the output monitor in-game, nor do I see an option in dgVoodoo. Is this a known issue and is there a possible fix (aside from swapping my primary/secondary monitor settings or disabling my secondary monitor)?

P.S. Not sure if it matters, but another old game I played recently -- House of the Dead 2 -- also launched on my secondary monitor for some reason. I didn't use dgVoodoo with it, though.

Reply 1 of 4, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are options for that in dgVoodoo.

Each monitor corresponds to a 'device' (denotes a display output along with the GPU it is attached to) in old DX. Games enumerate the available devices and choose one of them. In most cases they just explicitly use the primary one without enumerating.
dgVoodoo lets each monitor take part in the device enumeration by default but also allows you to limit the enumeration to the monitor you choose.
All you have to do is select your GPU in combo box 'Adapters to use/enable' and then also select the primary display output attached to it (\\.\DISPLAY0, …) in the 'Full screen' combo box on the General tab in the CPL.

This way the game won't see your secondary monitor through dgVoodoo but only the primary.

Also, you can force games to the secondary monitor in this way but it's not recommended in general, not all of them works properly on any other output than the primary.

BTW, actually, House of the Dead 2 lets you choose which monitor to use: if it finds more than one then it pops up a dialog box for each monitor to ask if you want to use that one.

Reply 2 of 4, by Mortisanti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh. Perfect, thank you. I didn't realize selecting my GPU would open up the option for display selection, so I just left that alone until now.

As for HotD2, when is that dialog box supposed to pop up? When I ran the game it launched on my secondary monitor and went straight to the main menu (keep in mind this was without dgVoodoo). Also, the installation is from the original CD which wouldn't run unless I had Windows 95 compatibility set in Hod2.exe's properties.

Reply 4 of 4, by Mortisanti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting. My memory may just be failing me, but I don't remember that. It could also be that I'm still on Win7 64-bit.

I plan on trying HotD with dgVoodoo in the near future so that should allow me to force it to the primary monitor anyway.

EDIT: So I think the difference is that I have the original version published by SEGA and you have the version published by Empire Interactive. I just downloaded the Empire version and ran its Hod2.exe and got the dialog box. Now if only there was a No-CD patch for the U.S. SEGA version 😒

EDIT 2: After running the original copy that I have, it also brings up the dialog box that you mentioned. I just never thought to click "no" so clicking "yes" on the first box just resulted in moving it to the secondary monitor."