VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24660 of 52615, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Slightly hardware since it includes an adapter cable. Saw this new in box for $3 at a dingy thrift store and at first glance it does not look like much. It's a piano tutor software package from Roland for Windows 95/98. It includes a serial cable that connects an electronic piano to your PC circa 1999.

Roland Visual MT.jpg
Filename
Roland Visual MT.jpg
File size
945.7 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

On closer inspection, though, it also includes Roland's VSC-88 software synth which is what I bought it for. Tried to install the software synth on Windows 7 64 and even with compatibility mode no dice, but this will work fine on my 98 SE box.

SoftSynthCloseUp.jpg
Filename
SoftSynthCloseUp.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license

Roland still sells a modern version of this soft synth, but not for $3.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/sound_canvas_va/

Last edited by liqmat on 2018-08-10, 19:01. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 24661 of 52615, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Collecting 3dfx HW is difficult these days. Anyway this one was a must have to fit the Voodoo4 line. Now I'm only missing the V4 MAC. 🤣

v4l_2_10240vcil.jpg

v4l_3_102467cr3.jpg

v4l_1_1024r5dsg.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 24662 of 52615, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I received a computer I bought a few days ago. The only thing I knew was that it's a Pentium III, a bunch of PCI cards and an AGP graphics card are installed and that the case is completely destroyed, but everything works (according to the seller). I only paid 15€ for it so I took the risk.

It was loosely packed in news paper, so the case is now completely screwed up but I don't care about it anyway. But this is what I found inside the case:

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-10 at 21.20.56.jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-10 at 21.20.56.jpeg
File size
206.35 KiB
Views
File comment
oof
File license

The poor Pentium III looks completely scuffed. The cooler fell off and probably banged against it during shipping. Also it seems that no thermal paste was applied whatsoever. I wonder if it still works? It's an 866 Mhz, I think I could get a replacement for the cheaps..

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-10 at 21.20.55.jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-10 at 21.20.55.jpeg
File size
139.49 KiB
Views
File comment
scuffed
File license

However, the main board seems to be quite substantial, it's an ASUS CUSL2. The AGP card is an ATI Rage IIc, so yet another Rage card I have no use for, just like the two networking cards that also came with it. The sound card is a creative CT4750 (Sound Blaster 128 PCI?). The CPU cooler is not too bad either and three 128mb PC133 SDRAM sticks made by Infineon are also useful.
Interestingly enough, although the case smells moldy and contained a small amount of debris all of the parts look like brand new:

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-10 at 21.20.55(3).jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-10 at 21.20.55(3).jpeg
File size
225 KiB
Views
File comment
SB
File license
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-10 at 21.20.55(4).jpeg
Filename
WhatsApp Image 2018-08-10 at 21.20.55(4).jpeg
File size
247.03 KiB
Views
File comment
ATI
File license

For 15€ not too bad of a deal I guess, what do you think?

Reply 24663 of 52615, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got one last item before I'm off to uni soon:
DeceAu1.jpg

I got yet another Lifebook, but this one's a C352 model. Got it for $28 total ($10 + $18 shipping), was listed as a "parts only" unit, but it just needs RAM, which is only $6. All the stuff in the background came with it too. This was my best find yet.

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 24665 of 52615, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:
@havli Nice L-shape V4 :) I have the same problem, I also dont have a V4 MAC yet 8) […]
Show full quote

@havli
Nice L-shape V4 😀
I have the same problem, I also dont have a V4 MAC yet 😎

a few weeks ago I managed to find an STB Blackmagic Voodoo2 with 12MB 😀

I have the same VooDoo2 card as well. I was lucky to get it for $25 or so and it works very well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24666 of 52615, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
perkyagnostic wrote:

Today I received a computer I bought a few days ago. The only thing I knew was that it's a Pentium III, a bunch of PCI cards and an AGP graphics card are installed and that the case is completely destroyed, but everything works (according to the seller). I only paid 15€ for it so I took the risk.

I find it interesting that Socket370 stuff is starting to become retro now, a couple of years ago it would've been considered absolute trash. How much do PIII's normally go for these days?

Reply 24667 of 52615, by perkyagnostic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Nprod: Well .. Socket 370 stuff is now about 20 years old so it's at least not contemporary .. It may not be that desirable for collectors but it's a cheap (here in Germany most Pentium IIIs can be had for about 5€ or less) and easy way to get into retro gaming - not necessary DOS gaming but Windows 98SE-stuff for sure. Actually I don't know what your point is exactly, a Voodoo 5 5500 for instance is from the exact same time period?

Reply 24668 of 52615, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up two CRT monitors and a 16-bit ISA network card for free off of Letgo. All works perfect.

monitors.jpg
Filename
monitors.jpg
File size
171.34 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 24669 of 52615, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro PCI, Permedia2 chipset. I need this for the project I'm working on. Right off the bat you can see a popped capacitor between the chip and the VGA connector. The card and CDs also reek of cigarette smoke, bleh. Will need some serious cleaning and fixing before powering up.

Also until today I hadn't seen a video card where the voltage regulator has a bigger heatsink than the chipset. Or a video card with IBM-branded memory chips.

Attachments

• 20180810_212046.jpg
    Filename
    20180810_212046.jpg
    File size
    1.74 MiB
    Views
    File license

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 24670 of 52615, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought last week
PowerBook 1400cs, lcd in bad shape and broken case, but working - us$ 5.
Awe32 ct3600, crystal isa sound Card , st238r mfm hdd, trident pci and a complete pc xt clone - us$ 25.
New old stock pcchips m326, cx486dlc 40, iit387 - us$ 20 (not pictured)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    Filename
    image.jpeg
    File size
    1.84 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpeg
    Filename
    image.jpeg
    File size
    2 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • image.jpeg
    Filename
    image.jpeg
    File size
    1.94 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 24672 of 52615, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
perkyagnostic wrote:

However, the main board seems to be quite substantial, it's an ASUS CUSL2. The AGP card is an ATI Rage IIc, so yet another Rage card I have no use for, just like the two networking cards that also came with it. The sound card is a creative CT4750 (Sound Blaster 128 PCI?). The CPU cooler is not too bad either and three 128mb PC133 SDRAM sticks made by Infineon are also useful.

The main board should be a good one if it works. Asus boards of that time have quite a lot of tuning options.

Reply 24673 of 52615, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

picked up a cheap 6800 GT locally, haven't tested it yet, hope it works

q1c0FDY.jpg

dPnKdsH.jpg

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 24674 of 52615, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While on vacation and not looking at my favorite searches all the time... I missed by some minutes a NIB and sealed Diamond Stealth64 Trio64 based vlb card 🙁

But somehow managed to get a long time elusive M919 cache module in a lot of 7 sram modules. The rest are for Socket 7 boards. I just hope if works 😀

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 24675 of 52615, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote:
picked up a cheap 6800 GT locally, haven't tested it yet, hope it works […]
Show full quote

picked up a cheap 6800 GT locally, haven't tested it yet, hope it works

q1c0FDY.jpg

dPnKdsH.jpg

If you value your hearing make damn sure it's getting enough molex power.

The squelling of death those 6 and 7 series cards make when they detect insufficient current from auxiliary power is absolutely hellish. Easily the worst sound I've ever heard.

Also, make sure the thermal paste is good. Lest ye invoke the curse known as bumpgate early.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 24676 of 52615, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My haul from yesterday:

sj1H5xIl.jpg
lqCOg23l.jpg
wYm8W0El.jpg
ZR9ahqwl.jpg
xqCxNIJl.jpg
OYivSUQl.jpg
rzBS4Srl.jpg
cNzKXRkl.jpg
WvOQOLhl.jpg
ujkv0Mdl.jpg

All the cards are confirmed working. The fan of the Ultra needed some TLC. I threw the TV card away though. That is useless for me.
The boxes also contained some optical drives, floppy drive, PSU's, DVD/R-CD-R/CD-RW.
I am planning on flashing the Crosshair with custom BIOS and slapping an Phenom II X4 940 on it. This should be the max this board can take then.

Bought the 5160 as is. Seller thought it was the PSU but I followed basic diagnostics from minuszerodegrees and according to the site, the problem lies in the 12v part of the motherboard. Tested it with another XT psu and an AT one, and the same results all the time.
Guess I'll need to look for some replacement caps and find someone to replace the 2 culprits.
No luck so far with the 2 XT's I bought.

Still happy with the model M and the 5153 😀
Can't test them for now but the monitor turns on.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 24678 of 52615, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Turbo -> wrote:

Got some nice Zalman heatsinks this week.

Those Zalmans are very nice. I have one just like the one on the left. Bought it back in the day and used in my Athlon XP machine circa 2003.

You should be aware that the plastic used for the fan on those coolers is pretty fragile, it doesn't take much to snap the fan blades off. One blade on mine broke, and that made the fan unbalanced and generating vibrations when running, essentially unusable. I replaced it a few years ago with a copy of the fan that I 3D-printed. There is a model of this fan that can be downloaded on Thingiverse, made by someone else (this problem is apparently common enough that someone addressed it this way).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1240440

I used the v2 version with 9 blades, works fine.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 24679 of 52615, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote:
My haul from yesterday: <snip> http://i.imgur.com/rzBS4Srl.jpg <snip> Bought the 5160 as is. Seller thought it was the PSU but I […]
Show full quote

My haul from yesterday:
<snip>
rzBS4Srl.jpg
<snip>
Bought the 5160 as is. Seller thought it was the PSU but I followed basic diagnostics from minuszerodegrees and according to the site, the problem lies in the 12v part of the motherboard. Tested it with another XT psu and an AT one, and the same results all the time.
Guess I'll need to look for some replacement caps and find someone to replace the 2 culprits.
No luck so far with the 2 XT's I bought.

Still happy with the model M and the 5153 😀
Can't test them for now but the monitor turns on.

Ah, so it was you 😉 Nice machine, I hope it can be restored!

1982 to 2001