VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24680 of 52352, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, drove 2h for it 🤣. A lot of people want it, looking at the bids.
Afaik it could be an easy fix, otherwise I will need a new board.
There is another one on MP but the seller is silent for 2 days now.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 24681 of 52352, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote:

Yeah, drove 2h for it 🤣. A lot of people want it, looking at the bids.
Afaik it could be an easy fix, otherwise I will need a new board.
There is another one on MP but the seller is silent for 2 days now.

Yeah bidding got a bit out of hand. I'm happy for me that I don't have nostalgic feelings for IBM hardware, it isn't cheap. They are beautiful machines.

1982 to 2001

Reply 24682 of 52352, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never had IBM but this one fascinates me. I wanted the 5150 but this seems harder to find.
I'm happy that the seller kept his word. Biddings are 100€ more than my bid (120€). Still a good deal though now, Just need someone to replace the suspects...

Reply 24683 of 52352, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote:

Never had IBM but this one fascinates me. I wanted the 5150 but this seems harder to find.
I'm happy that the seller kept his word. Biddings are 100€ more than my bid (120€). Still a good deal though now, Just need someone to replace the suspects...

Oh, that isn't too bad!

Highest bid now is €280! The auction is still online (nice he kept his word, he should take it offline).

1982 to 2001

Reply 24684 of 52352, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

280€ jeez. Yeah he should take it offline.
Quite the deal then 😀
He als had a board with opti chipset and 486sx-25, Loose cpu's (Pentium pro, ceramic Pentium, mmx,...), sole other stuff.
But I felt he wanted a bit too much for it being untested.

Reply 24685 of 52352, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
perkyagnostic wrote:

For 15€ not too bad of a deal I guess, what do you think?

The PSU is not very high powered, but I'd say it's worth the $15 by itself. ASTEC is a pretty good OEM.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24686 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this box of random cards the other day for a pittance. The shipping was more than the price for the cards themselves, which was a whopping $12.
Best cards were:
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
Tseng ET6000 PCI

There were a few SB-Live! cards and an Audigy as well.

There were also a large number of 3com 3c905tx NICs as well. Back when I was working at a computer store, they were about $60 a piece. Pretty much my favorite NIC cards from back then.

cards.jpg
Filename
cards.jpg
File size
231.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And this motherboard with Intel Overdrive CPU... not sure if it is a 63 or 83Mhz as I was finding conflicting information.... It is set on the motherboard as it is the 83Mhz.
Already have the 1.4 version of this motherboard, and this is 1.7 which officially supports more CPUs, mainly the 5x86 and some other AMD CPUs that have issues with v1.4.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
425.35 KiB
Views
File license
manual.jpg
Filename
manual.jpg
File size
326.89 KiB
Views
File license

This was also pretty crazy cheap for what boards have been going for lately, not to mention the overdrive chips. $25+ shipping.

I was also looking at a laptop with a Panasonic PCMCIA sound card on Yahoo Japan auctions. No bids with only 5 hours left. Thought I was going to get it for the starting bid... but then in the end it went for almost $200. Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking and hoping I can maybe get one for a good price at some point.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24687 of 52352, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a bundle of stuff (mainly for the not retro LGA1155 motherboard) but also included:
A number of IDE hard drives
A number of IDE DVD-RW (ok, not THAT retro)
A Power Mac G5 (are these worth anything now, the last of the PowerPC generation)
And these little retro gems
20k3clt.jpg
A GeForce 4 Ti4200 and a Radeon 9800 Pro
Plus a Matrox G200 PCI

Didn't spend a huge amount on it... so have I struck lucky - or is that G5 an extremely heavy lump to rake to the tip - weighs more than two PCs

Reply 24688 of 52352, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Matth79 wrote:

A Power Mac G5 (are these worth anything now, the last of the PowerPC generation)

Didn't spend a huge amount on it... so have I struck lucky - or is that G5 an extremely heavy lump to rake to the tip - weighs more than two PCs

G5s aren't worth much these days, there's an oversupply of them and not many takers. There isn't much that you can do with them as the last MacOS supported is long obsolete, and they have trouble running Linux (I failed to install Linux on mine despite best efforts and help from people who have done it before). I got the one I have for $40 with local pickup a couple of years ago. It's now collecting dust in my basement - actually, it supports a pile of other hardware. At least it's sturdy enough to do it. 😀

The only use I may have for it, one day when I have the time, will be to dump my old home movies from a firewire-only camcorder as it's the only machine I have with firewire ports.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 24690 of 52352, by Madc0w

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

some people convert their G5 PowerMacs into mATX cases

We have like five of them at our computer recycling organisation for people to use for hackintoshes

Volunteered today, and managed to save this beauty from the scrap pile. NMB Space invader switches.
adqHzAb.jpg?1

Reply 24691 of 52352, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Madc0w wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

some people convert their G5 PowerMacs into mATX cases

We have like five of them at our computer recycling organisation for people to use for hackintoshes

🤣 poor mans MacPro.... with possibly better performance!

Reply 24692 of 52352, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These pickups aren't going to rock anyone's world but I was happy with them for 5 bucks each, found at my local recycling center shop.

First up a HP L1710, 17" LCD. They had stacks of 17" LCD's actually, different brands, but I chose this one because it was apparently unused - looked to me like someone had cleared out their office I.T storeroom. It's nothing special but actually looked pretty good with the few DOS games I tried so handy to have around if my stash of CRT's gives out. You don't see NOS 17" 4:3's around too often.

P1030911_zps9bwuytmr.jpg

P1030917_zpsa958inct.jpg

And a VHS player! Yes it's a cheap base model and I actually have no use for one, but it's in great condition and appears to work A-OK; hard to tell without a remote or a tape to test it with 😵 These things are increasing in value if you believe eBay, hard to believe but audio tapes are back too apparently!

P1030930_zpssia8uu5n.jpg

P1030928_zpsszj9nnps.jpg

Last edited by badmojo on 2018-08-13, 00:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 24694 of 52352, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

I want that beautiful desktop case! ^^^^

You may not have it!!! Actually I found that case at the very same recycle center but it was out the back in the drop off area in a skip, stuck under a crush of CRTs. I couldn't get it out in the short window I had (taking things from out there is "illegal") so left it, but found myself haunted by it, so went back the next week and managed to rescue it.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 24695 of 52352, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've done that. Skipped on a hardware item only for it to haunt my dreams and I go searching for it later. Half the time it's gone by then. Anyway, nice case and at least it got rescued.

Reply 24696 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just wish there was still a recycler around here. The last one closed down last year 😒

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24697 of 52352, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

G5s aren't worth much these days, there's an oversupply of them and not many takers. There isn't much that you can do with them as the last MacOS supported is long obsolete, and they have trouble running Linux (I failed to install Linux on mine despite best efforts and help from people who have done it before). I got the one I have for $40 with local pickup a couple of years ago. It's now collecting dust in my basement - actually, it supports a pile of other hardware. At least it's sturdy enough to do it. 😀

The only use I may have for it, one day when I have the time, will be to dump my old home movies from a firewire-only camcorder as it's the only machine I have with firewire ports.

Supply and demand on those G5's, they will dry up and people will start paying decent money for them in 5-10 years since they are the last of the line PPC Apples. OSX 10.4 and 10.5 is supported well enough so that you can still browse the web (10fox4) and still use compression utilities. Great systems to support older Macs.

The G5 Imacs all need motherboards recapped (and some power supplies). The G5 towers have issues with memory slots going bad, and the water cooled ones leak and kill the board and PS. The AGP towers need special external dongles for wireless and bluetooth, while the PCIE models have built in wires but need an unobtanium mounting adapter for the wireless card itself (was an option not standard). Decent video cards are also in short supply.

I like those towers and they are pretty decently built but heavy(shippers tend to crush the handles). The towers can do 4 or 8GB of RAM (Agp models) and 16GB for the PCIE ones. You get SATA hard drives as well that sets them apart from the older G3/G4 towers.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 24698 of 52352, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

I just wish there was still a recycler around here. The last one closed down last year 😒

I had one that closed 5+ years ago and while I miss it, I would be in trouble if it was still around because of all the stuff I dragged home from it.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 24699 of 52352, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:
liqmat wrote:

I want that beautiful desktop case! ^^^^

You may not have it!!! Actually I found that case at the very same recycle center but it was out the back in the drop off area in a skip, stuck under a crush of CRTs. I couldn't get it out in the short window I had (taking things from out there is "illegal") so left it, but found myself haunted by it, so went back the next week and managed to rescue it.

I'm glad you rescued it, it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing desktop AT cases i've seen on this forum. All it needs is a 14-15'' CRT to complete the look