VOGONS

Winevdm

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 100, by JJXB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

anyone got WING/WING32 to install in any fashion via OTVDM? been trying to get bad toys 3D 1.4 going and while it goes "ingame", it has weirdness with any dialog boxes to the point where going to change the resolution is impossible (I know it's a WIP but was curious anyway)

Reply 22 of 100, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It broke Sim Tower. it no longer can find wavmix16.dll in its WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder. There is now a "dll" subdirectory, but copying it there does not help either.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 25 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the news. WineVDM now seems to work fine. It's now able to integrate into Windows, too.
I got it to run a classic picture viewer and the file/common dialogs seem to function as intended.

Attachments

• otvdm_wingif_dp22.png
    Filename
    otvdm_wingif_dp22.png
    File size
    105.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 100, by Arklay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With the new version installshield and sierra setups now "works".

Installshield (v2-v3) "indy and the infernal machine", "monkey island 4", installed and played without problem. The "Installshield Self-Extracting" it takes 10 or more minutes to unpack the installer itself. (I have to try the phantom menace installer)

The Sierra installer "can" install games, but there are two problems 1: it cant create subfolders in "start/program" with a lot of error. 2: If the installer need 256 color mode the game cannot be installed.

Attachments

• SIERS.jpg
    Filename
    SIERS.jpg
    File size
    22.75 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sierra 256 color
    File license
  • SIERERROR3.jpg
    Filename
    SIERERROR3.jpg
    File size
    8.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Final error in the Sierra Installer
    File license
  • SIERERROR2.jpg
    Filename
    SIERERROR2.jpg
    File size
    6.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sierra installer cant create subfolders 2
    File license
  • SIERERROR1.jpg
    Filename
    SIERERROR1.jpg
    File size
    8.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sierra installer cant create subfolders 1
    File license
  • INS3.jpg
    Filename
    INS3.jpg
    File size
    11.52 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    59% After 6 minutes
    File license

Reply 27 of 100, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a terrific project. I wrapped up version 0.6.0 in an AutoIt script that works this way:

Download RunOldWin.exe from the link below. Copy it to the folder that contains the 16-bit program that you want to run. Rename RunOldWin.exe so that it has the same name as the 16-bit program that you want to run, with "64" appended to the name, for example: Write64.exe

Double-click Write64.exe (or whatever) to run the program. Or drop a file on it to open the file in the program. At the moment, it only takes a filename as a parameter, but I can change that.

It fails with big, complex programs, but seems to work reliably with smaller ones.

This is a compiled AutoIt script, so some antivirus programs will flag it as unsafe. If you don't trust it, don't use it. Don't waste your valuable time posting messages here asking if it's safe. I've codesigned it, by the way.

How it works: It contains the OTVDM files inside itself, and the first time you run it, it copies them to a folder in your temp folder. It then runs otvdmw.exe from the folder in the temp folder.

If your program complains that it can't find a file, then copy that file into the same folder with the program. If your game or app won't run, file an issue at the developer's web site. I'll update this with future versions of the project.

And here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6njs2ux3c37vrtv/RunOldWin.exe?dl=1

Reply 28 of 100, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arklay wrote:

The Sierra installer "can" install games, but there are two problems 1: it cant create subfolders in "start/program" with a lot of error. 2: If the installer need 256 color mode the game cannot be installed.

You can set the 256 color compatibility mode in properties just like any other program but it only pretends to be in paletted mode which work fine for software like the incredible machine and battle chess which don't use any palette tricks but gabriel knight (which otherwise works in top of tree) has display issues. Note that in Windows 8 and 10, 256 color mode isn't supported at all so actually changing the video mode won't work on those versions anyway.

Reply 29 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now that's sick. Visual Basic 1.0 truely runs in otvdm.. 😁

vb1_otvdm.png
Filename
vb1_otvdm.png
File size
194.49 KiB
Views
File license

Edit: Edited. Was off-topic, never mind.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 30 of 100, by crazyc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Tandy VIS exclusive game "The Secrets of Hosea Freeman" runs too (in a window rather than fullscreen). There's a patched binary at archive.org that fixes the crashes from VIS exclusive features.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Filename
    Capture.PNG
    File size
    235.21 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 32 of 100, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if it will allow you to play Windows 16bit games. I suspect it will.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 33 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It will. Though performance is still lackin' - in comparison to other solutions.
For example, a real copy of Windows 3.10 is smoother by many magnetudes in comparison.
Be it on a real 386DX40 system or in DOSBox, PCem/86Box or Virtual PC..

Currently, version 641 runs acceptable on an Athlon 64 X2 4000+ PC.
I can play MOD4Win there with 4 channel MODs and SIDPlay, too.
At the lowest sampling rate and in 8-Bit, however.
Otherwise, I get audio stutter and freezing programs (GUI becoming very unresponsible)..

Anyway, this will surely improve over time.
In my humble opinion, it's a miracle that otvdm runs that well aready. 😀

Edit: I've recorded my "experience" of what I wrote earlier here.
I also included real Windows 3.1 for comparison. The stutter isn't the fault of the recording, by the way.
Sorry, I had no interesting games / games with FMVs at hand for testing.
I believe simple arcade or puzzle games for Win 3.0 do run okay through winevdm on such a PC though.

Edit: Interesting. SIDPlay (W16) causes an exception error in win87em.dll
on an Win XP system when playing certain songs (like Turbo Outrun SID file, track 3).
So there seems to be an other justification to have an x87 math co-processor
installed in a vintage rig (386, 486SX).. 😁

Attachments

• sidplayw16_win87em_xp-ntvdm.gif
    Filename
    sidplayw16_win87em_xp-ntvdm.gif
    File size
    4.23 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Win16 program has issues with real NTVDM on XP..
    Maybe it's just a hardware issue (FPU too fast or new ?)
    File license

//My video channel//

Reply 35 of 100, by NoNameNeeded

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can someone tell me how to compile the latest version?
The instructions on how to do that are somewhat sparse.
All it says on the github page is...

Install Visual Studio 2017
Install binutils
Edit PropertySheet.props
Compile

Well yeah, great.
I've installed Visual Studio 2017, I've downloaded something similar to binutils from here
https://pkeus.de/~philipp/Downloads/PrettyOS/ … .26_GCC-6.1.zip
but I don't know what to do next..
And no, I'm not a programmer and I don't want to become one.

Is it feasible as a layman to get this to work or do I really have to become a programmer first?

Reply 38 of 100, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried it and it's so amazing! Now I'm on Win64 fully running Win16 games. Thanks for making it possible!
Edit: It just can't run Darkseed 2. The installer takes forever and crashes when it reaches 100% and the game itself also crashes right at startup.

Reply 39 of 100, by krashd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you are familiar with DOSBox you can install Windows 3.x in there and then install Darkseed 2 in that. After that you can run Darkseed 2 with <path>WIN.COM <path>DARK0001.EXE That's a trick I found to play Win 3.x games without having to load into Win 3.x first.

If you go one further and add PATH=C:\WINDOWS at the bottom of your dosbox configuration file then you don't need to type the full path, you can just go to the folder of your game and type win <game executable>

One caveat to playing DS2 in DOSBox is that you will need to find an svga/vesa driver here on vogons as the bog-standard S3 Trio one that Windows installs makes the game choppy. Hell, that might even be your problem using Winevdm, have you tried installing a new vesa driver? The ET3000 one works.

So, my first post on here is a bit off topic. Good start, Rob!