VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like DX2-XL and the like are for Win7 and up, can anyone verify this? Need something that will run on XP SP2 if possible.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can find binaries and source code for the original D2X project here:

https://icculus.org/d2x/

Development continued up to 2004, so it may work in Windows XP, but it may also be buggy compared to D2X-XL and D2X-Rebirth. The D2X-XL and D2X-Rebirth projects began in the mid '00s after D2X development stopped, so they were XP-compatible for many years, but that may no longer be the case (probably best to ask in the specific application forums for each). The problem is that neither Zico (D2X-Rebirth) nor Diedel (D2X-XL) nor anybody else is willing to host the older releases. Here is a forum thread that lists the older release filenames for D2X-Rebirth if you want to search for an archive:

https://forum.dxx-rebirth.com/archive/index.p … thread-705.html

Reply 2 of 4, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote:
You can find binaries and source code for the original D2X project here: […]
Show full quote

You can find binaries and source code for the original D2X project here:

https://icculus.org/d2x/

Development continued up to 2004, so it may work in Windows XP, but it may also be buggy compared to D2X-XL and D2X-Rebirth. The D2X-XL and D2X-Rebirth projects began in the mid '00s after D2X development stopped, so they were XP-compatible for many years, but that may no longer be the case (probably best to ask in the specific application forums for each). The problem is that neither Zico (D2X-Rebirth) nor Diedel (D2X-XL) nor anybody else is willing to host the older releases. Here is a forum thread that lists the older release filenames for D2X-Rebirth if you want to search for an archive:

https://forum.dxx-rebirth.com/archive/index.p … thread-705.html

Thanks akula65!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's what I found out so far:

• As of today, the latest versions of both D2X-XL (1.18.74) and DXX-Rebirth (0.60-beta-2) work on Vista, even though they advertise Win7+ compatibility only. That's good because it shows the developers are not douches. 😀
  • The latest version of DXX-Rebirth does not work on XP, complaining about procedure entry point inet_ntop not located in WS2_32.dll. This probably means it uses incompatible APIs. DXX-Rebirth 0.58.1 works on XP. This is XP SP3 (don't have an SP2-only around to test).
  • The latest version D2X-XL actually works on XP SP3, if you remove the Microsoft runtime DLLs supplied with it, and let it use the existing Windows DLLs (assuming you have the runtime installed); with the supplied DLLs it complains about MSVCR100.DLL not being a valid Win32 image, as it's probably for a later Windows version). However, gameplay itself seemed broken on my system - it works until you start a level, at which point the screen flickers and nothing renders properly; I am not sure if it's an incompatibility with XP or something else, haven't had time to investigate.
  • From playing with both very briefly, I find that I much prefer DXX-Rebirth to D2X-XL. The former works and looks nice. The latter may be more complete, and potentially has better graphics, but appears like a huge mess of every single feature someone tried to cram there, has stupid default settings (ridiculous controls, computing lightmaps takes forever), and it seems to conflict with VirtualMidiSynth, causing it to freeze during startup if the latter is used as the default MIDI output; as a special bonus if you kill the process, some VirtualMidiSynth handle stays locked, and you cannot use it again until you reboot, but I'll write that up to VirtualMidiSynth being a piece of shoddy software in itself.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 4, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
Here's what I found out so far: […]
Show full quote

Here's what I found out so far:

• As of today, the latest versions of both D2X-XL (1.18.74) and DXX-Rebirth (0.60-beta-2) work on Vista, even though they advertise Win7+ compatibility only. That's good because it shows the developers are not douches. 😀
  • The latest version of DXX-Rebirth does not work on XP, complaining about procedure entry point inet_ntop not located in WS2_32.dll. This probably means it uses incompatible APIs. DXX-Rebirth 0.58.1 works on XP. This is XP SP3 (don't have an SP2-only around to test).
  • The latest version D2X-XL actually works on XP SP3, if you remove the Microsoft runtime DLLs supplied with it, and let it use the existing Windows DLLs (assuming you have the runtime installed); with the supplied DLLs it complains about MSVCR100.DLL not being a valid Win32 image, as it's probably for a later Windows version). However, gameplay itself seemed broken on my system - it works until you start a level, at which point the screen flickers and nothing renders properly; I am not sure if it's an incompatibility with XP or something else, haven't had time to investigate.
  • From playing with both very briefly, I find that I much prefer DXX-Rebirth to D2X-XL. The former works and looks nice. The latter may be more complete, and potentially has better graphics, but appears like a huge mess of every single feature someone tried to cram there, has stupid default settings (ridiculous controls, computing lightmaps takes forever), and it seems to conflict with VirtualMidiSynth, causing it to freeze during startup if the latter is used as the default MIDI output; as a special bonus if you kill the process, some VirtualMidiSynth handle stays locked, and you cannot use it again until you reboot, but I'll write that up to VirtualMidiSynth being a piece of shoddy software in itself.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I need to steer clear till I get a modern pc at home.