VOGONS

Crazy prices for some retro hardware stuff.

Topic actions

First post, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

someone in my area is selling retro stuff , he has crazy prices and i want to know if that is a valid price or not.
some of my friends tell me the prices are crazy and some say the prices are valid and competitive.

For example:
Voodoo5 PCI with box. $520 dollars
pentium Pro motherboard + pentium pro 200 cpu (just motherboard with cpu) $100 dollars
radeon 9800XT , no box, $200 dollars.
Media vidion PAS16 with box $150 dollars
soundblaster awe32 in box $130 dollars

are those prices even real? do people buy that and pay that much on ebay for things like that?
from a retro perspective is a voodoo5 even worth to have? knowing that geforce2 was better.

Reply 1 of 124, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look at the stupid prices of these same things on eBay.

But really, all of those things are at least somewhat overpriced for what you can get them for on eBay.

The Voodoo 5 PCI is probably the only thing that is really comparable to eBay prices.

The Awe32, depending on the specific model might be somewhat close.

I still refuse to pay anywhere near those prices.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 124, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To be honest im against of paying so much for old retro videcards. And even if i pay that much...then i would never use it at all, because of the fear of it breaking sooner or later.

Reply 3 of 124, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We might call the prices stupid, but someone is paying that much for them.
If you never use the hardware, it might as well be broken. If it is just an item in your closet, it doesn't matter if it is broken or not, unless you just collect them to sell them for profit later.

Reply 4 of 124, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SETBLASTER wrote:
Voodoo5 PCI with box. $520 dollars pentium Pro motherboard + pentium pro 200 cpu (just motherboard with cpu) $100 dollars radeon […]
Show full quote

Voodoo5 PCI with box. $520 dollars
pentium Pro motherboard + pentium pro 200 cpu (just motherboard with cpu) $100 dollars
radeon 9800XT , no box, $200 dollars.
Media vidion PAS16 with box $150 dollars
soundblaster awe32 in box $130 dollars

9800xt seems quite overpriced (to me). I'd say that everything else could find a buyer. V5 might seem expensive, but good luck finding a V5 PCI boxed. BTW, is it the PC or the MAC version?
Ah, Pentium Pro motherboard + cpu is actually cheap, I assume it's the 256k version, those went almost extinct due to gold scrappers. And socket 8 motherboards aren't easy to find.

SETBLASTER wrote:

from a retro perspective is a voodoo5 even worth to have? knowing that geforce2 was better.

I don't know what you understand by "from a retro perspective", but "from a collector's perspective" comparing those two cards is a joke, especially when the V5 is the pci version. GF2 Ultra is somehwat valuable, but GF2 Pro, GTS, TI aren't. Not to mention GF2 MX, MX200 and MX400, those are so widespread and cheap that almost nobody wants them. I can buy lots of GF2 MX400 for under a dollar, but I never do buy them.

Reply 5 of 124, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

9800xt is crazy money. Recently one sold here locally and I passed, it went for 50 euro untested.

I would like one but it has to be a working one and even then i would not pay 50.

The PAS is also overpriced imh, the rest can find a new owner. Pentium Pro can sell pretty quick and the 3dfx... well... people are crazy about that stuff. I'm lucky to have my fair share of 3dfx and got it pretty early for the most part.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 124, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PAS overpriced? If it's the original Mediavision PAS16 (and not Logitech), and the box is complete & in good nick, this doesn't even sound too crazy. Just the cards with no box/disks etc generally go for >USD/EUR 50 (although as I write this, two turned up at the same time locally and bidding isn't even over EUR 20 yet). I don't give a hoot about boxes etc, but a lot of people do, and that bumps up the price a lot.

Reply 7 of 124, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Though most of those parts are probably worth that kind money, I almost always avoid the retro parts that are that expensive; I'd rather have more cheaper parts that I can play around with than one very rare card. I hardly ever go above €60 per part and most of the time not even above €35. Besides, you never know when those parts are going to give up on you; they might stop working the day after you bought them so to speak. 😊

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 8 of 124, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

I don't give a hoot about boxes etc, but a lot of people do, and that bumps up the price a lot.

I used to feel exactly like that, I didn't care about boxes, but then something changed, now I l1ike boxed cards. And I have quite a few regrets, back in the days I could buy quite a few of nice boxed cards at a really good price (V1, V2, Banshee, etc at aprox. 10 euro each piece).

They do take a lot of space, but they are less common than bulk cards and they add a lot of value to the card.

Reply 9 of 124, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are worried about value you must be more into speculation then just using the stuff. Some people do like collecting shrink wrapped boxes never to be opened, I am not one of those.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 10 of 124, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm into collecting, I'm not selling my cards. I'm worried about value because I buy them 😀
And, as the topic title says, they seem to become more and more expensive.

I'm curious if the current hardware will become collectible 10-20 years from now and what the prices will be. Some guys from this forum consider GTX 480 as a collectible card, it's a bit weird for me, but I guess that if somebody was young in 2009 (let's say 16-18 years), he might feel some nostalgia now.

Reply 11 of 124, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

The PAS overpriced? If it's the original Mediavision PAS16 (and not Logitech), and the box is complete & in good nick, this doesn't even sound too crazy. Just the cards with no box/disks etc generally go for >USD/EUR 50 (although as I write this, two turned up at the same time locally and bidding isn't even over EUR 20 yet). I don't give a hoot about boxes etc, but a lot of people do, and that bumps up the price a lot.

Even on Ebay you can find them for pretty low prices. Ofcourse the box ads value but i don't think it will ad a 100+ dollar to a 40 dollar item? Anyway, maybe i am also not the right person to judge soundcards.... I like my Creative's and that's about it, Graphics is what i like 😎

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 12 of 124, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is a psychological effect. It is JUST a expansion card! But strange is that how much it will be left from the card after all the
...fancy colored packaging,
...user manuals
...install discs original floppys
...bonus software

is removed. 😉

The Gravis Ultrasound and Roland RAP10 box I can man really look for minutes if being for this, which makes me to regret that I throw away in the past Gravis Ultrasound PnP original packaging (it was quite miserable after arrival from post 2007) and GUS ACE original packaging (that package lived long enough since 1996). Due to these moments as I like to read books and collect vinyls too, it makes understandable.
Otherwise I would had the complete collection of them. The technical reference makes it always interesting. (Despite some technical fact errors that Gravis Ultrasound MAX box is still very nice to look.)

At the same time just a couple years ago someone wanted to buy a MPU401 expansion card and was desperate that was ready to pay up to 400USD for it. I hope he got the remake card atleast for now via this forum or 4 of them. 😉

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 13 of 124, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a big difference between the prices people are ASKING on ebay and the prices people are PAYING - for example search 3dfx voodoo 5 on ebay and go to completed/sold listings.

Reply 14 of 124, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dicky96 wrote:

There is a big difference between the prices people are ASKING on ebay and the prices people are PAYING - for example search 3dfx voodoo 5 on ebay and go to completed/sold listings.

I just followed an ebay auction for voodoo 5 pci recently and it went for $345 and it wasn't even boxed. I am pretty sure people are paying around $500 for boxed ones.

Reply 15 of 124, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes but none of the voodoo 5 being listed at 500GBP/630USD + have sold, going all the way back to the start of August so those prices seem to be a sellers fantasy

The highest price actually paid for a sold listing was 275 UKP / 351 USD

Lowest price - There are two working voodoo 5 5500 64Mb which were both in original boxes and sold as 'Buy It Now' listings from France on Oct 5th 2018 for €50 and €60 respectively. So that's 57 and 68 USD

I only have € symbol on my keyboard by the way, I am native English but live permanently in Gran Canaria Spain

Last edited by dicky96 on 2018-10-31, 16:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 124, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought 12 old video cards this year, all hand-picked from my want list and with a median price of 7 euros. I'd consider the voodoo 5 for 30.

By the way, for buy it now items, you also want to consider the time it took to sell. You can forget about the ones that sold within ten minutes.

Reply 17 of 124, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

People are willing to pay high prices for NEW sealed boxed never used items.
But if it's used you are taking a risk.
50/50 it is fully functional and undamaged.
electronic components have a shelf life and usage before they fail like everything else.
Capacitor, resistors, transistors, Mosfet switch, Graphics chips and solder joints, All susceptible to HEAT !

I would not spend allot of money on used parts.
It's like buying anything used ( Appliances, electronics, cars, etc. ).
They have wear and tear and environmental degradation.
Electronics usually have a life of 5 years or so.

Personally, If you want a good retro gaming computer buy NEW old stock parts or Build a computer with as many NEW part as possible.
I like http://www.Philscomputerlab.com idea's to retro gaming.
https://youtu.be/9CgisEFObjA?t=1292

You can find inexpensive used 1ghz. Windows 98 computers on ebay from $75
just add a Yamaha XG YMF-7xx sound card or Sound blaster and for graphics a Voodoo card or Nvidia geforce4 ti4200 AGP.
So for under $200 you can have a good retro computer.

Reply 18 of 124, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SETBLASTER wrote:

GeForce2 was better for D3D/OpenGL, but there's tons of cheap cards that can do that a lot better than either. V5's are at the top of the last line of 3dfx cards, and they support the biggest proprietary API there was. Where collector interest and builder interest meet, you have a desirable item. Sealed/boxed items and asking prices at those high ranges are just by and for collectors.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 19 of 124, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

GeForce2 was better for D3D/OpenGL, but there's tons of cheap cards that can do that a lot better than either. V5's are at the top of the last line of 3dfx cards, and they support the biggest proprietary API there was. Where collector interest and builder interest meet, you have a desirable item.

What I remember of the voodoo 5 from at the time is it got trounced in benchmarks unless you turned on heavy aa, and the api was going out. A bitter item, but perspectives differ.

To me the early voodoos are more interesting, that's what I develop for when I do glide, and that's what most people have access to, whether emulated or real. But I hesitate to pay 30+ e for those as well.