VOGONS

First post, by piercrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anybody know if Dos Box will work with the next OS update? Apple is sending messages about discontinuing support for 32 bit applications. I get the message for Dos Box.

Reply 2 of 4, by piercrg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I downloaded the program from source forge.net. Now how do I set it up to be exactly like 0.74-1? I see the downloaded file .dmg in Finder and when I click on it it opens in the default display size, speed etc and places an icon on my dock. But I don't see a file in my applications folder. I assume I can move all my old DOSBox files to the new location of DOSBox 0.74-2 and it should work. But where is it? It been over a year since I customized the program to run exactly like I want, but I'm really rusty. Thanks for your help.

Reply 3 of 4, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is also a 64-bit branch of Boxer that is being independently developed.

https://github.com/MaddTheSane/Boxer/tree/updateDosBox

It is possible that the original developer will come up with a 64-bit release this year, but he has been generally very quiet for the last 3 years.

I have found the unofficial 64-bit build to be stable and fast on my i7 system, despite the claims of performance hits.

Just bear in mind it is based on Boxer 2 Alpha and not the 1.4 release, so any issues or bugs with that have come across as well.

If anyone has trouble compiling, I am happy to share the build I am currently using in macOS 10.14.

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 4 of 4, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
piercrg wrote on 2018-12-18, 15:16:

Now how do I set it up to be exactly like 0.74-1? I see the downloaded file .dmg in Finder and when I click on it it opens in the default display size, speed etc and places an icon on my dock. ... I assume I can move all my old DOSBox files to the new location of DOSBox 0.74-2 and it should work.

Why not just replace 74 with 74-2? I assume you've copied DOSBox into your application's folder as usual?

By default, it uses a new Preferences file in your user's Library folder "/Yourname/Library/Preferences".
Db 74 wrote tho the file "DOSBox 0.74 Preferences", while 74-2 wrote to the file "DOSBox 0.74-2 Preferences" inside.

Probably this is the difference, where the settings were lost.

Klimawandel.