YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Muz, what does it mean to YOU?

For me it is the only Windows version I skipped from around Windows 3.11 (though I did not use NT 4)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Muz, what does it mean to YOU?

For me it is the only Windows version I skipped from around Windows 3.11 (though I did not use NT 4)

Vista was fine once it had SP1. Before that it had MAJOR file transfer issues.

The other main "problem" with Vista was all the OEMs selling computers that were "Vista capable" with specs that would have been low end even for an XP machine. That is the biggest reason that Vista left a bad taste in almost everybody's mouth.

It was actual torture having to do warranty repair on those pieces of trash because they were so slow.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember when Vista was such a debacle that they had claimed to have completely rewritten Windows for the release of Windows 7. Of course this was not true. But I remember being impressed with 7 when it first came out, and yes, Vista really was that bad. File transfer issues and major bugs that got fixed aside, it was simply bloated, inefficient, and slow compared to XP, plus its user interface was redesigned in a very counterintuitive way, and many machines that were sold with Vista got no hardware support advantages with it compared to XP, and thus received a slower experience with no advantages.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 10 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

For me it is the only Windows version I skipped from around Windows 3.11

You know, I almost wish I had done the same. Then, I may have held the wrong belief that Vista is a bad OS (which, having used it, I know is not true), but I would not be stuck with this awesome super-stable Vista install on my LGA775/QX9650 build, that is slowly becoming useless because Microsoft had killed the software support for Vista; that rig would probably have Win7 and still useful for many modern tasks.

keenmaster486 wrote:

I remember when Vista was such a debacle that they had claimed to have completely rewritten Windows for the release of Windows 7.

I don't think anyone serious ever claimed that.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 13, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't go there.

Well if you must...my fondest memory is at a department store watchings some guy rip apart a clueless sales kid because he "upgraded" to vista and all his devices stopped working. The kids was like "err did you check your computer for viruses" and the guy just went mental. Good times.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium