VOGONS

First post, by JointCh1L

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

Recently i got a Geforce 2 GTS.
When i tried to install the Forceware drivers from Nvidia the computer doesn't reconise the card as a Direct3D card.
I can play OpenGL games like Quake 2 en 3 but its stuggling with Direct3D.

I was thinking, can it be that i need the Original Asus Drivers for this instead of the latest Forceware drivers ?

And does anyone has original Asus Drivers for Windows 98se ?

My setup.
Intel Pentium III 1000mhz
Asus CUSL2-C
Asus Geforce 2 GTS
512 MB Ram 133mhz
Create SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Windows 98se

Reply 2 of 13, by JointCh1L

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeh I used the 71.84 drivers, 30.82 and the newest 81.98.
I found an original driver disk for the 7100 series that also contains the drivers for the V7700.

When I installed that one, everything was working fine.
Games don't crash, 3DMark runs normally. ( was crashing everytime when i wanted to start the benchmark ).

Think ill just stick to the Asus drivers than instead of the nvidia drivers.

Reply 3 of 13, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When using newer drivers, you also might need to update directX (if you haven't already done that).

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 13, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First IT job that I ever had, my boss always gave me a hard time for using "generic" graphics card drivers.

He ALWAYS insisted on using the drivers that came bundled with the card, Sapphire or Asus or what have you.

This would have been around 2001-2002, we built a lot of systems ground up back then and I always tended to download the most recent version from chip manufacturer website,
ie; ATi, or Nvidia usually.

Always ticked him off, 🤣.

That doesn't help at all but that's what this post reminded me of.

Reply 5 of 13, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DirectX version has usually been the main reasons for direct3d not working when installing new drivers for me too. Install at least directx 7.0a and if that doesn't work try directx 8.1 too.

Reply 7 of 13, by Lord_Xearo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Guys,

i think i'm in the same situation. I got my hands on a Geforce 2 GTS (ASUS V-7700) and i cant seem to find any driver that is working out of the box with Windows 98 SE.

is someone here willing to share his working driver / installation disc?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Xearo

Reply 11 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the ASUS drivers for the V7700 offered here https://www.asus.com/supportonly/V7700%20Seri … lpDesk_download
also show the problem?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 12 of 13, by Lord_Xearo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, if i search for a driver in this folder it will not find a compatible driver.
if i run the setup file it says something like success (after 2 seconds) and will restart my computer.

Well, at least the driver auron posted did work. But im curious why so many drivers i tryd couldn't find my hardware. i also tryd older versions.

Direct X 9 is installed.....on some other PCs i noticed driver installation issues when directx isnt installed.